Mesa To Join Other Open-Source Projects With "Main" For Primary Code Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post
    A Git master branch is not "master" as in master-slave, it is "master" as in master-copy. According to the hardcover Collins Gem dictionary on my bookshelf, master can mean: "original document from which copies are made."
    How so? In what way can it be considered to be a "master copy"? A master copy of what?
    Cloning a repo does creates an identical copy of the whole repo, not only the branch that happens to be named "master". I don't see why it would be a descriptive name. But on the other hand I don't personally care much. It is a good feature in git that the the name of the initial branch can soon be chosen instead of being hardcoded. What people choose to name the initial branch in their project is up to them. Those that like to keep the name "master" may continue to do so, even if the project that the git repo is cloned from would change the name to "main" or anything else. Much fuss about nothing.

Comment

the discussions here show a blackwhite bellyfeel to ingsoc. This is doubleplusgood

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

How so? In what way can it be considered to be a "master copy"? A master copy of what?
        I think this is because it continues the document metaphor of folder/ file / cut / copy / paste / clipboard. If there is an origin of where copies are derived this would be the "master".

Comment

What a waste of time Most of the people of this worlds do not speak English [as a native language].
          Good and comprehensive documentations, tutorials, wikis much better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            i prefer cotton picker and cotton picker owner for more accurate

there no salve in 2020 we save with this actions and people who suffer from this are all dead there no reason to do that
            There are more slaves in 2020 than any other time in history. They are also cheaper and more disposable. Just because it's seen as an "historical racial issue" in the US doesn't mean it doesn't directly affect millions of people alive today.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              i just wonder if people cross-check whether those words are ok in other languages. just a thought.
              Actually, a few people have done (at least attempted to do) that for some of the various proposed words and terminology for usage in both this, and other, industries. And, not surprisingly, some of the proposed words were eventually rejected because of they were offensive, or were pronounced in ways that could be misconstrued, or due to culture or history are problematic.

Comment

I will be offtopic to the discussion, but more ontopic to the original article: many Git hostings including GH and GL mark the very first branch you had pushed to a repo as "default" branch of this repo. But in past many manuals, including help materials of GH and GL recommended to push master branch to the Git remote upon repo creation. But changing default branch in both GH and GL is just a matter of two clicks. So all the PRs/MRs that is being made via WUI automatically target to the default branch.

Given that it seems that someone had hardcoded a lot in the scripts with assumption that "mater" is the only possible default branch name that will never change.

Comment

It seems like BB with The Party will soon establish Minitrue, which will friendly rectify our oldthink and oldspeak to be goodthinkwise and unperson all masters and slaves. Master of Science will become Plusbachelor of Sciense, master blacksmith will become plusblacksmith and this will be doubleplusgood.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

No I'm not. I try to avoid discussing anything political and I will keep myself OUT whenever I can.
                    Originally posted by Rush
                    If you choose not to decide
                    You still have made a choice
                    Since we're doing quotes today

Comment

As for blacklist/whitelist, it comes from black/white symbolism and dualism which is as old as humanity, with a few exceptions like Ancient Egypt. And it has nothing to do with race.

wiki://Black: Associations and symbolism
                      wiki://White: Associations and symbolism
                      wiki://Black and white dualism
                      Last edited by yurikoles; 08 August 2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X