Mesa To Join Other Open-Source Projects With "Main" For Primary Code Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa To Join Other Open-Source Projects With "Main" For Primary Code Branch

Phoronix: Mesa To Join Other Open-Source Projects With "Main" For Primary Code Branch

This week Mesa developers began drafting plans for transitioning their primary Git branch to "main", following the naming plans of other open-source projects using Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A new white people's fad.

Comment

In a world we are all equal or we should be, words like master and slave should not even exist or be used except for describing the history.
      In any case I like "main" since it's shorter kinda makes more sense to me.
      I like to see that people want to be better, even with these little things.

Comment

Please, this political nonsense has to stop now.
        Master/slave is a perfectly valid and extremely describing term for something computer related.

If you take offence of these words describing a relation between COMPUTERS you are the problem, not the term itself. Words should always be viewed in the context they are spoken. How else are we ever going to be able to order black, white, red or yellow paint for instance?

We will soon be left with no words at all, since all words can be used in a context that is considered hateful and demeaning to some people.

Comment

Originally posted by ElmerFudd View Post
          Master/slave is a perfectly valid and extremely describing term for something computer related.
          Ah, I see. So you hopefully have a "slave" branch as well - because otherwise the master branch doesn't make much sense either. I frequently have projects with dev or stable branches - "master" never made too much sense, but every repo has (or had) one. "Main" in this context is a lot more meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            In any case I like "main"
            I think I would have preferred to see something like "base", "default", or "devel" (which is often how the base branch is used until a release or a tag), but I see no issue to the name "main" as long as there is a general consensus on that name moving forward as the default default. I admit I do not look forward to changing all the places I have the branch name coded in scripts, and in finger muscle memory, but I (like others) will adapt.
            Last edited by CommunityMember; 08 August 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElmerFudd View Post

If you take offence of these words describing a relation between COMPUTERS you are the problem, not the term itself. Words should always be viewed in the context they are spoken. How else are we ever going to be able to order black, white, red or yellow paint for instance?

We will soon be left with no words at all, since all words can be used in a context that is considered hateful and demeaning to some people.
              I wholeheartedly agree. I will refuse to do away with "blacklist" and "whitelist and I would also refuse to do away with "master" in exchange for "main" for Git. I will use the terms throughout my entire life whether people like it or NOT!!! And NO! I'm not being racist. Not at all.

Why? Because I'm against politics and political correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Ah, I see. So you hopefully have a "slave" branch as well - because otherwise the master branch doesn't make much sense either. I frequently have projects with dev or stable branches - "master" never made too much sense, but every repo has (or had) one. "Main" in this context is a lot more meaningful.
                This is utter nonsense. The word "Master" conceptually has nothing to do with slavery. A slave-master is a specific term, with a specific meaning. Likewise, a master blacksmith, or master electrician, or "Head Master". It denotes mastership of a field, or principal authority. Modern languages developed in a world where slavery has always existed so why would it have a different lexicon to describe relationships than for any other social or technical aspect?
                Last edited by s_j_newbury; 08 September 2020, 07:11 AM. Reason: Fixed silly typo

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

I wholeheartedly agree. I will refuse to do away with "blacklist" and "whitelist and I would also refuse to do away with "master" in exchange for "main" for Git. I will use the terms throughout my entire life whether people like it or NOT!!! And NO! I'm not being racist. Not at all.

Why? Because I'm against politics and political correctness.
                  You're being political by the way, if not partisan (which actually is a big part of the problem). I agree with you though, this is getting completely insane and is only furthering divisiveness. Sanitizing language when it comes to how people are addressed is a matter of civil discourse, using language you know offends is rude and anti-social. This weird identity-politics driven witch hunt is doing far more harm than good.
                  Last edited by s_j_newbury; 08 August 2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    In a world we are all equal or we should be, words like master and slave should not even exist or be used except for describing the history.
                    I heard that one somewhere. Oh yes:

Originally posted by 1984
                    In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. [...] The Revolution will be complete when the language is perfect.

Comment

Working...
                    X