Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I doubt anyone reading this website would care since Michael is talking about the Linux Nouveau driver not Windows and not the Nvidia proprietary drivers. Even if we were talking about Windows, it's worth pointing out that even without AMD's direct support my ancient HD 4830 still works in Windows 10 and it was released in Summer 2008, but that's also irrelevant since we're talking about Nvidia. Nouveau will cover the device for as long as someone has access to one of these cards and willing to support it with the skills to do so. If you're so worried about long term support, buy two and send them both to the Nouveau driver developer(s). Problem solved.
    Nouveau is frankly pants with lots of issues even on a GTX 750 and the 2015 AMD driver is full of bugs with w10 1909, I like to buy hardware that just works with a range of OS's which is relevant to a lot of people here so put your irrelevents away.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      And RX550 doesn't even do VP9 decoding.
      The GT710 doesn't support VP9 decode, too.

If they don't offer discrete GPU's on low end because they'd rather sell APU's, that's bad.
      Why offer something when you can't sell much of it because APU/iGPU offer enough performance for that use case?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        "High range gaming PC" would have multiple high-end GPU's, Ryzen 7 or Threadripper CPU, 32GB+ of RAM, 2-3x 1440p - 4K screens, joystick/wheel/rudders, multi-terabyte NVMe SSD.
        Multi-GPU gaming is dead and there's no game where a Threadripper would offer any advantage over a fast 6 or 8 core Ryzen. But I guess it's like with expensive cars, you'll always find someone with the money to buy it anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
          I have a similar PCIe x1 GT710 in my NAS, where both x8 slots are occupied by the 40Gb Network card and the SAS Controller and only x1 slots were left for a GPU.
          Out of curiosity, what cpu are you using there?

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
            The current low end cards of AMD (RX550) and Nvidia (GT1030) both cost from ~70€ upwards. Older low end AMD cards like the R5 230 are as cheap as the GT710.
            And if you really need 4x HDMI for some special uses case, driver support probably matters more than the tiny price difference to newer cards and as a bonus you would get more performance, for 4K or whatever.
            Just a thought about what this might be intended for. What kind of artificial multi-monitor limitations are nVidia putting in their drivers these days?

Because 4 HDMI on a PCI-E x1 connector makes me think this might be intended for stuff like stuffing five of these into one mobo and building a 20-display monitor wall.

Comment

lot of non-sense here. Consummer dervjust how long AM4 has been around and then Intel’s flavor of the months sockets in the same rear. AMD has been a big win for socket stability and more importantly they have publicly acknowledge when AM4 goes EOL.

likewise they have done wonders when it comes to APU’s. AMD has done wonders considering it limitations. Beyond that they know there is a strong user market that they would have to compete in to offer a low end card. So this segment would just become a no profit market segment for them.

I'm not sure why people are talking about the proprietary driver here, but Kepler isn't even cutoff in the current Nvidia legacy branch (390.x) yet, which is supported until 2022. I'd guess this card will have at least 4 more years of proprietary support. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/3142

Because AMD doesn't make low power GPU's. They want you to buy an APU, with previous generation CPU tech and fab process. And then, a few years later when you want to upgrade the GPU, you find that they've switched sockets and you're screwed. So yeah, AMD open source drivers don't mean a thing for people who want cards like the one in the article. What was the last good low power discrete GPU AMD made? Radeon HD 7730?

Comment

Multi-GPU gaming is dead and there's no game where a Threadripper would offer any advantage over a fast 6 or 8 core Ryzen. But I guess it's like with expensive cars, you'll always find someone with the money to buy it anyway..
                Not true SLI and CrossFire are dead... Vulkan and DX12/DX12Ultimate mGPU is alive and well and works better than SLI/CrossFire for games that support it... which means game engines have to add support for it and for most games that do that means it has to trickle down, more games are adding support as they start building thier games on newer releases of game engines. A few games have first party support with a dedicated engine like the Asura engine in Strage Brigade + 3 other games on that engine since 2017 and at least one coming out this year.

Comment

The current low end cards of AMD (RX550) and Nvidia (GT1030) both cost from ~70€ upwards. Older low end AMD cards like the R5 230 are as cheap as the GT710.
                  And if you really need 4x HDMI for some special uses case, driver support probably matters more than the tiny price difference to newer cards and as a bonus you would get more performance, for 4K or whatever.
                  I'm just gonna say that the trick with AMD cards is finding an older one that is fully AMDGPU compliant. If I'm recalling AMDGPU levels correctly, that R5 230 is an SI card and not officially supported by AMDGPU. If one paired that with an RX 580 and then reported a bug to AMD then there's a chance that they'd be told to go buy hardware that doesn't use beta drivers.

This is a new $50 GPU. AMD does not have a new $50 GPU. AMD did not release an RX 520. AMD, AFAIK, does not have a true low powered AMDGPU card.

The closest to this card that we have are RX 550s and all the ones that I've come across lately are dual-slot and just too big for what most of us want them for -- to power our desktop and SMPlayer or Firefox/Hulu/Netflix so we can use our good GPU with VMs and whatnot.

Comment

The GT710 doesn't support VP9 decode
                    Of course it doesn't. I was talking about the GT 1030 vs. RX550.

Originally posted by Goddard
                    I just bought a 580 for about 100 bucks.
                    Good for you, but what's your point? The RX580 has a 185W TBP and is also behind on video codec support. It's a great value gaming card, but it's not a small, quiet GPU and doesn't belong in this conversation. The RX550 is a lot closer to the kind of card we're talking about, but it still loses to the GT1030 in terms of power efficiency and video support.

AMD could really use an RX5300 (75W) and an RX5200 (<50W). They make superior CPU's and shouldn't be afraid of cannabalizing sales.

Comment

Of course it doesn't. I was talking about the GT 1030 vs. RX550.

Good for you, but what's your point? The RX580 has a 185W TBP and is also behind on video codec support. It's a great value gaming card, but it's not a small, quiet GPU and doesn't belong in this conversation. The RX550 is a lot closer to the kind of card we're talking about, but it still loses to the GT1030 in terms of power efficiency and video support.

AMD could really use an RX5300 (75W) and an RX5200 (<50W). They make superior CPU's and shouldn't be afraid of cannabalizing sales.
                      I think you depend to highly on external benchmarks. The max wattage of a power supply doesn't mean it is always using that wattage and the same goes for many other parts. In fact you can even lower the power usage if you so desire.

I have never had an issue playing any movie on an AMD card. Give me an example of something you had problems running.

Comment

Working...
                      X