Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
    The max wattage of a power supply doesn't mean it is always using that wattage and the same goes for many other parts. In fact you can even lower the power usage if you so desire.
    Huh? What do power supply Wattage ratings have to do with GPU power usage? And yes, TDP or TBP may be a maximum number, but it will give you a good idea of the GPU's power efficiency, and you still have to be prepared to cool that much dissipation. You can't tell me that a 185W card is comparable to a 50W card under load.

I have never had an issue playing any movie on an AMD card. Give me an example of something you had problems running.
    Obviously, you can play VP9 (Youtube videos and such) on a system with an RX5x0 GPU, but if it's being done on the CPU, that isn't the most efficient and quiet way. Some people are more bothered by computer noise than others. If you have an RX580, you're probably not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

"High range gaming PC" would have multiple high-end GPU's, Ryzen 7 or Threadripper CPU, 32GB+ of RAM, 2-3x 1440p - 4K screens, joystick/wheel/rudders, multi-terabyte NVMe SSD.

"Decent" I listed is mostly compromise in everything, without dropping into "value" category (iGPU/low-medium discrete graphics), 8GB RAM, quadcore CPU). And it remains under 1000 euros, so I don't even understand what you complain about credit card debt. I don't even have credit card, I only use debit cards.

Time has passed on, it's no longer 2015.
      Dude, a 1080 is not a "decent" gpu. You and people like you are the reason prices get inflated everywhere. You just have no concept of value. A Vega 64 or Nvidia 1080 is still a high performant gpu. You are out of your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
        I do own a Ryzen 3400G and it's not bad. It surely beats the hell out of intel CPUs with their crappy GPUs.
        It also actually does have some graphics horsepower and beats the hell out of the discrete GT 710.

Whereas the only reason to buy the GT 710 is if you want the extra HDMI ports and nothing else.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Dude, a 1080 is not a "decent" gpu. You and people like you are the reason prices get inflated everywhere. You just have no concept of value. A Vega 64 or Nvidia 1080 is still a high performant gpu. You are out of your mind.
        That's true. I bought my R9 290 GPU in 2014 and six years later it is still kicking ass. High quality 1080p graphics card still... Plays the newest AAA games smoothly. And a Vega 64 is twice as fast as this.
        Last edited by humbug; 13 April 2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          Not true SLI and CrossFire are dead... Vulkan and DX12/DX12Ultimate mGPU is alive and well and works better than SLI/CrossFire for games that support it... which means game engines have to add support for it and for most games that do that means it has to trickle down, more games are adding support as they start building thier games on newer releases of game engines.
          Thank you, I completely missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            Not true SLI and CrossFire are dead... Vulkan and DX12/DX12Ultimate mGPU is alive and well and works better than SLI/CrossFire for games that support it... which means game engines have to add support for it and for most games that do that means it has to trickle down, more games are adding support as they start building thier games on newer releases of game engines. A few games have first party support with a dedicated engine like the Asura engine in Strage Brigade + 3 other games on that engine since 2017 and at least one coming out this year.
            It's alive in the Vulkan and DX12 specification.
            Almost no gamer building a PC these days is getting multi-GPU. It is throwing money away since one in thousand games support it. You are better of using that money to get a better SSD, or saving for the next upgrade etc..

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              So, let's look at 1080.
              It's older generation, by now, even when it was newest gen, it wasn't the fastest but "medium-high end". 1080Ti was the "High End". It wasn't even "Absolute High End", Nvidia has Titan series for that particular niche. 1080 has been superseded since by multiple cards, even tho it's still nicely performant. Rather than sitting on a iGPU or "value"-GPU for ten years it's much more reasonable to get "almost the best" of the previous generation. Then gradually upgrade your PC as you deem fit, selling components in second hand market and buying upgrades off same market. The only real cost will be difference of selling your component and that of new upgrade, which makes overall cost much more palatable and manageable.

Prices got inflated by cryptomining craze, in which, btw, I never participated. I got my Vega 64 for 180 euros, after it had mined for 6 months from a quitting cryptominer along with buying invoice for possible future warranty case. Because second hand market was at one point in recent past overflowing with cheap cryptomining cards, just had to be careful and choose what you bought. Rather than buying brand new from retail at over 500€.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                We need an AMD version of this card. This is exactly what I need, only it's the wrong brand
                Definitely. Would have bought AMD, if there were a PCIe x1 version.

And unfortunately, the case of my NAS doesn't have an option for mounting a GPU via a riser cable.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post

Out of curiosity, what cpu are you using there?
                  I'm using a Ryzen 3 1300X in the NAS, because the G Version doesn't have ECC support.
                  Last edited by Lycanthropist; 13 April 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                    Wait, why the hell is this card full-height instead of being low profile?!?
                    Umm, because it has 4 full size HDMI ports?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      This is a new $50 GPU. AMD does not have a new $50 GPU. AMD did not release an RX 520. AMD, AFAIK, does not have a true low powered AMDGPU card.
                      Well, you can get an AMD GPU for less than $50 new and about the same power usage, but unfortunately not with a PCIe x1 connector:
                      ✔ Preisvergleich für Sapphire Radeon HD 6450, 1GB DDR3, VGA ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI 1.4a • Grafik: AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 1GB DDR3 - Desktop • Chip: Caicos… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

This one is about $48 (incl. taxes) and just 18W. The GT710 was 19W afaik.

Comment

Working...
                      X