Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good GPU for open-source fan? Not at all! I've had one 710 in wife's computer and after it locks up 2-3 per day while doing remote teaching in Teams (which are based on Chrome btw), I've happily purchased R5-230 based card and never looked back to NV again. The bug which hunted me is already in noveau bug DB for years and nobody is doing anything with it. Reported by several people. So that's about gpu for open-source fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
      Multi-GPU gaming is dead and there's no game where a Threadripper would offer any advantage over a fast 6 or 8 core Ryzen. But I guess it's like with expensive cars, you'll always find someone with the money to buy it anyway..
      Here is the thing. Entry level threadrippers are very affordable. The base model 1st gen now being sold new for $199, with previously the 12-core 24 thread being available for $199 and now only $269. Essentially two CPUs with a very large cache on a single package. Also supports FB ECC RAM(even if most mobos don't). Its stupid powerful for the price, and compares nicely against intel workstation chips, and motherboards compare really nicely against dual-socket intel workstations, of which it is vastly cheaper. The big limiting factor is the 256GB RAM cap, but not so much of an issue if you are comparing entry level setups. Having a single large package solves one of the big problems of two CPUs is getting two matched chips. Just plug in one, vastly cheaper chip, and BAM.

I am thoroughly enjoying being able to run tons of VMs on a 24-core CPU I paid $199 on sale.

It makes for a very affordable workstation for the price of a desktop. Also OpenCL does support running two GPUs, as and linux and Xorg has support zaphod mode for enough time now that more cards == more monitors. Just plug 'em in, and light 'em up. and just use moar cards with whatever OpenCL app you are running.

Even if games don't support multi-cards anymore, DXVK or something in the lutris wine stack does.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
        Here is the thing. Entry level threadrippers are very affordable. The base model 1st gen now being sold new for $199, with previously the 12-core 24 thread being available for $199 and now only $269. Essentially two CPUs with a very large cache on a single package. Also supports FB ECC RAM(even if most mobos don't). Its stupid powerful for the price, and compares nicely against intel workstation chips, and motherboards compare really nicely against dual-socket intel workstations, of which it is vastly cheaper. The big limiting factor is the 256GB RAM cap, but not so much of an issue if you are comparing entry level setups. Having a single large package solves one of the big problems of two CPUs is getting two matched chips. Just plug in one, vastly cheaper chip, and BAM.

I am thoroughly enjoying being able to run tons of VMs on a 24-core CPU I paid $199 on sale.

It makes for a very affordable workstation for the price of a desktop. Also OpenCL does support running two GPUs, as and linux and Xorg has support zaphod mode for enough time now that more cards == more monitors. Just plug 'em in, and light 'em up. and just use moar cards with whatever OpenCL app you are running.
        All true and nice, but not gaming related, is it?

Even if games don't support multi-cards anymore, DXVK or something in the lutris wine stack does.
        Fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
          All true and nice, but not gaming related, is it?
          I think that is my point tho. Not everything is gaming related. Multi-core CPUs were never great for gaming, but they are a massive hit in the prosumer workstation lite market. Threadrippers are simply put, not targeted at your demographic. Gamers tend to struggle with that.

Comment

I think that is my point tho. Not everything is gaming related.
            Uhm.. it's just that my argument was! Not gonna question workstation use cases, that would be silly.

Multi-core CPUs were never great for gaming, but they are a massive hit in the prosumer workstation lite market. Threadrippers are simply put, not targeted at your demographic. Gamers tend to struggle with that.
            I regularly run VMs for network/server testing purposes and don't really feel the need to play games anymore, it's just that AM4 boards +CPU are cheaper than TR4 ones +CPU, especially back in 2017/2018 when I bought my parts. That and in fact I personally don't need more that 8 cores, as nice as it would be to have the few video encondings I do over the year finish faster.

Comment

The big limiting factor is the 256GB RAM cap
              ...Is a statement I really thought I'd have to wait a few more years to read.

Comment

Working...
              X