Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

Phoronix: ASUS Releases Graphics Card That Could Actually Be Great For Open-Source NVIDIA Fans

ASUS has released a new budget graphics card that could actually be great for those wanting to use the open-source NVIDIA (Nouveau) driver stack on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Low-End-Card

$50 AND works with open source drivers...looks like a perfect GPU to run a Linux desktop while your 2080Ti is running Call of Duty on low in a Windows VM.

On a side note: competitive gamers crack me up. Let's spend $5000 on a gaming PC to run it on Low so we can pawn the noobs

Comment

I have a similar PCIe x1 GT710 in my NAS, where both x8 slots are occupied by the 40Gb Network card and the SAS Controller and only x1 slots were left for a GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        $50 AND works with open source drivers...looks like a perfect GPU to run a Linux desktop while your 2080Ti is running Call of Duty on low in a Windows VM.
        On a side note: competitive gamers crack me up. Let's spend $5000 on a gaming PC to run it on Low so we can pawn the noobs
        Ehm, 5k$? Ryzen 5 3600X, some Am4 mobo, 16GB PC4-3200 RAM, Radeon Vega64 or Nvidia GTX1080, some SATA or nvme SSD. And you have decent all-around gaming PC. Pretty much all the component parts, excepting perhaps CPU can be had used at 40% retail prices when you have patience. I've built one with sub-1000 euros.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
          I have a similar PCIe x1 GT710 in my NAS, where both x8 slots are occupied by the 40Gb Network card and the SAS Controller and only x1 slots were left for a GPU.
          While I have one PCIe available, using a GPU there would put it within 3mm of my 580 and that's not something I'd want to do.

We need an AMD version of this card. This is exactly what I need, only it's the wrong brand

Comment

What's the situation regarding Vulkan support for Nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              What's the situation regarding Vulkan support for Nouveau?
              Nothing usable yet.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Ehm, 5k$? Ryzen 5 3600X, some Am4 mobo, 16GB PC4-3200 RAM, Radeon Vega64 or Nvidia GTX1080, some SATA or nvme SSD. And you have decent all-around gaming PC. Pretty much all the component parts, excepting perhaps CPU can be had used at 40% retail prices when you have patience. I've built one with sub-1000 euros.
                That is not a "decent" PC. That is a high range gaming PC. I think people don't understand what "decent" means, or are so full of credit card debt that they don't care.

Comment

Just what people needed lol. Probably should do yourself a favor and buy something that will be sure to have support for a much longer time.
                  Last edited by ix900; 04-13-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

If no graphics horsepower is needed, just get something even older, that doesn't even need reclocking in the first place. Open source driver support should be good too.

Comment

Working...
                    X