AMD Radeon Gallium3D Is Catching Up & Sometimes Beating Catalyst On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was given a measly single 2gb ddr3 1333 cl9 stick
    the B970 has a DDR3 1333 cl 9 4gb stick and another 2gb integrated to the board (lubuntu minimal install)
    And also this i missed, might be those 2 GB are not enough memory depending on what you use . Your GPU also mapped i guess 512 MB by default for VRAM and probably 512 MB is for GTT if not whole 1GB (you can see that in dmesg)... so this might be also some "not enough RAM" issue, when driver memory mangment does not know what to do anymore and starts to struggle

Comment

thanks i will try the performance governor, i kinda forgot about that being as lately i have been using intel hardware ant the new pstate driver
      ill try more and dual channel ram in it

Comment

That's pretty good work. I'm also finding playing dota2 with open source driver (radeon hd 6510) is better than using latest catalyst beta driver (maybe caused by cpu limitation, using intel core 2 duo 1.8 GHz, since from benchmark the cpu usage on opensurce is lower than catalyst). So what about the open source logo (like nouveau do) and control center (gui)?

Comment

Originally posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
          thanks i will try the performance governor, i kinda forgot about that being as lately i have been using intel hardware ant the new pstate driver
          ill try more and dual channel ram in it
          Preferably of DDR3-1866 ram speed rating if you can ... A6-5400K + 2xDDR3-1866 is correct setup performance wise if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Preferably of DDR3-1866 ram speed rating if you can ... A6-5400K + 2xDDR3-1866 is correct setup performance wise if you ask me
            In my own tests, going from two 2GB sticks to one 2GB stick resulted in about -40% performance. Definitely go with two sticks if you can. Also, 1866 should be bare minimum.

Comment

Damn, I can't test the CS:GO performance with PTS as I'm always getting an in-game warning message that the game was run outside of the steam or with -insecure, so it can't connect to VAC servers. Does anyone know how to deal with it?

Comment

IIRC you have to make sure that steam is already running and logged in

Comment

I have an AMD R9 290, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Ubuntu 14.10 + Mesa 10.5 git, Linux Kernel 3.18 git and CS:GO doesn't run like this benchmark.
                  I'm playing at 1080p, medium or hight settings and the game shows 30-40fps.

this benchmark shows almost 80fps at 2560x1600

What I'm doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    i do agree with that
                    using dual channel ram made a world of difference, did not notice much from the performance settings, but i did it none the less
                    i did not realize that dual channel ram made that much of a difference
                    thanks for helping my get that straighted out

usually when someone needs a low/tight budget gaming system i suggest a A10 (best within budget) and 8gb ddr3 1866 2 x 4
                    that was the 1st time i tried a single stick in a apu system

Comment

Originally posted by obedlink View Post
                      I have an AMD R9 290, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Ubuntu 14.10 + Mesa 10.5 git, Linux Kernel 3.18 git and CS:GO doesn't run like this benchmark.
                      I'm playing at 1080p, medium or hight settings and the game shows 30-40fps.

this benchmark shows almost 80fps at 2560x1600

What I'm doing wrong?
                      llvm version?

Comment

Working...
                      X