AMD Radeon Gallium3D Is Catching Up & Sometimes Beating Catalyst On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
    ... Will the Open Source driver do any game specific optimizations?
    I doubt there will be any "recognize something this game does and do something special" code, but there's still a lot of room for "find out what operations are making game X runs slowly and make those operations go faster" improvements.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I doubt there will be any "recognize something this game does and do something special" code, but there's still a lot of room for "find out what operations are making game X runs slowly and make those operations go faster" improvements.
      You think that stuff will be done on "new Catalyst" only?

Comment

Very interesting to see such a huge difference in fps/watt, would not expect it to be this big.

Comment

just wanted to say thanks

I for one just wanted to say thanks, to AMD and all the current and former developers of the AMD open source video driver. It's the reason I bought my HD 5670 from AMD and didn't even consider nVidia cards. I've since been using it and I'm very happy with the way the open source driver is working.
          My next video card will be an AMD one too. And no, I'm not a fanboy I just want open source Linux drivers and when/if nVidia will support that then I'll consider their cards, till then thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            You think that stuff will be done on "new Catalyst" only?
            The userspace drivers will be largely common whether you're using the radeon or amdgpu kernel drivers, so I don't think there will be much difference. That said, there are already code differences between HW generations so I'm not expecting much change.
            Test signature

Comment

Those results are seriously impressive. I remember when this open source driver project first started it was hoped to eventually reach about 70% of the performance of the blob.

Kudos to the developers! Very nice work, especially given the very limited resources relative to the closed driver team :-)

Comment

any chance we can get a comparison of intel's GPUs (sandy bridge and up Pentium class and up) and AMD's APUs (Llano, trinity, richland, and Kaveri)?
                I built a APU system as was a bit disappointed with it compared to my intel laptop in regards to the GPU performance

Comment

Originally posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
                  any chance we can get a comparison of intel's GPUs (sandy bridge and up Pentium class and up) and AMD's APUs (Llano, trinity, richland, and Kaveri)?
                  I built a APU system as was a bit disappointed with it compared to my intel laptop in regards to the GPU performance
                  Which APU do you have there? And with which intel gpu do you compare?

I guess you have all setuped right hardware wise, like faster dual channel memory - performance mostly depends on that . Asking just in case because you built it, might be that is not the case for you, but i saw some poeple with A10-7800 put only one DDR3-1600 module and got something like 40% out of possibile GPU performance

Only Intel Iris GPUs should be faster then top-notch Kaveri, AFAIK
                  Last edited by dungeon; 17 November 2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Which APU do you have there? And with which intel gpu do you compare?

I guess you have all setuped right hardware wise, like faster dual channel memory - performance mostly depends on that . Asking just in case because you built it, might be that is not the case for you, but i saw some poeple with A10-7800 put only one DDR3-1600 module and got something like 40% out of possibile GPU performance

Only Intel Iris GPUs should be faster then top-notch Kaveri, AFAIK
                    Trinity A6-5400K and what ever you call the GPU in a Pentium B970
                    it was a low budget build (under 200 usd, on-hand HDD), the only thing i did not skimp on was the PSU
                    it was given a measly single 2gb ddr3 1333 cl9 stick
                    the B970 has a DDR3 1333 cl 9 4gb stick and another 2gb integrated to the board (lubuntu minimal install)

all i was asking it to do was run STK smoothly, is that too much to ask (seems to have a hard time with turbo, not referring to hardware feature)
                    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; 17 November 2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
                      all i was asking it to do was run STK smoothly, is that too much to ask (seems to have a hard time with turbo, not referring to hardware feature)
                      If you have stutters and fps drops in supertuxkart, well that game is affected particulary becease of bullet phisycs that game and CPU use... you should enable CPU performance governor preferably always while gaming... Guessing you are on default governor which is ondemand?

Trinity A6-5400K and what ever you call the GPU in a Pentium B970
                      B970 is Intel HD , probably that is HD 2000... Trinity, Richland, Cayman are same architecture, as i see i Cayman is runing better recently, so newer driver stack the better
                      Last edited by dungeon; 17 November 2014, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X