No announcement yet.

AMD's Longtime Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Advocate Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the hard work and enjoy your well deserved retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      thats the problem of the forum in general people do not even try to be brilliant some just want to be destructive here.
      Yes, you're mostly right and I believe your suggestions are made with good intentions.

I just think it's funny that you seem to believe everyone in a big company is like a happy family, where anyone can just phone or message anyone else with a great idea. That's not how even much smaller businesses work. If there's a truly important message to pass from one part to the other, it can be done. However, people normally exist in silos and Bridgman's was just a small corner of their GPU business. Not only that, but his office was ex-ATI, located in a different actual country (i.e. Canada) than where the CPU work happens!
      Last edited by coder; 04 April 2024, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words. It's been a lot of fun, and I had the privilege of working with a lot of great people both inside and outside of AMD. We have been getting more key people involved with open source graphics for over a decade now - twriter not only took on management of the open source graphics team but (along with agd5f) has been a very active evangelist internally. Even better, we have active support from multiple layers of executives above us.

Most of my recent work has been related to early SW development & testing for compute parts - starting with Vega10 but really ramping up with Vega20 and beyond. Last project was MI300, which was interesting not just because of its size and complexity but because we had both APU and dGPU configurations using the same silicon.

Anyways, I'll still be around here and hopefully will have time to get back to being more hands-on with the hardware and software. Thanks again.
        Last edited by bridgman; 04 April 2024, 07:01 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

@bridgman​ has done so much for open source. Truly a great man who made a lasting contribution to freedom. Thank you!

Comment

bridgman Congratulations on your well earned retirement! Thank you for everything you've done for AMD and the open source initiative. I'm glad to see your intending to stick around the forums! I have always enjoyed your posts and look forwards to your occasional updates.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Thanks for all the kind words. It's been a lot of fun, and I had the privilege of working with a lot of great people both inside and outside of AMD. We have been getting more key people involved with open source graphics for over a decade now - twriter not only took on management of the open source graphics team but (along with agd5f) has been a very active evangelist internally. Even better, we have active support from multiple layers of executives above us.
              Most of my recent work has been related to early SW development & testing for compute parts - starting with Vega10 but really ramping up with Vega20 and beyond. Last project was MI300, which was interesting not just because of its size and complexity but because we had both APU and dGPU configurations using the same silicon.
              Anyways, I'll still be around here and hopefully will have time to get back to being more hands-on with the hardware and software. Thanks again.
              i know you are in pension now... i am in privat in this forum to.

i have a question for you can you give me some explanation what could be the reason for forum posts like this one:

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
              I have msi b650m as motherboard and ryzen 7 7700 cpu. All the resets and hangs I have observed was already reported. For instance https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2156 this and this https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3284 when you are using anything that utilize vaapi. But this is not a regular thing. I got 2-3 of these over 2-3 weeks of usage.
              I had regular freezes in ac:valhalla https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/5701 and some regular ring gfx timeout https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1974 in all kinds of different games. ac:valhalla resets were more frequent.
              I had problems in wolfensteins games and watch dogs 2 about textures but those are unrelated to stability of drivers.
              These hangs are totally random. You can play something for a week or 2 without any crashes and get a reset randomly.
              One other thing that bothers me is that in windows my gpu consumes 45 watts when decoding a video. But on linux same settings and configuration it consumes 75-95 watts. Which is talked in here https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3195. Again unrelated to stability but bothering still.
              ​do you think this will become better with this news: " AMD Working To Release MES Documentation & Source Code"

i hope you have fun write in the phoronix.com in privat to...
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Congratulations Mr. bridgman, and thank you for your work

Comment

Working...
                X