No announcement yet.

AMD's Longtime Open-Source Linux Graphics Driver Advocate Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much John bridgman for all the wonderful work you have done for all of us and may you have very healthy and pleasant retirement!

Comment

Thanks bridgman for all your helpful posts here and on other public forums. Congratulations on your retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        The state of things is incredible now, especially when comparing it to when fglrx started.
        Oh yes! I remember struggling with fglrx 20 years ago to get Unreal Tournament working, it was a pain. Not only installation, but also messing with config parameters, modelines and what not. Today with the open source driver I can just install any AAA game and most of the time it will just work --> Thanks for all that progress and the part that you have played in it. 20 years ago I would not have believed where Linux graphics are today

Happy retirement!

Comment

Happy retirement Mr Bridgman. It was after a conversation with you here on phoronix that I started to run AMD on my computers. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

I am pretty sure the nickname was Qaridarium... and not "Qaridium(sp?)"
            I am pretty sure everyone knew who I was talking about and that I don't care about the exact spelling any more than Qaridium cared about making comprehensible posts. And no, deleted posts don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Yeah, but about 10,000 of those posts were responses to Qaridium(sp?) trolling.
              LOL! Not always trolling. Sometimes, trying to pitch bridgman on a "brilliant" idea that he should totally pass on to AMD's senior management or the CPU product managers (as if he even knows who those people are).

Originally posted by qarium View Post
              its sad that John Bridgman has no time yet to greed us here in this great salute to him.
              ‚ÄčIt'd be generous of him to pop in and say a few nice words to the community. Wouldn't cost him much, but maybe he just wants his legacy of tens of thousands of (mostly) patient posts to speak for itself.

More likely than not, he's off on a vacation somewhere, celebrating his newfound freedom. Can't blame him for not wanting to ruin it by logging into Phoronix, expecting to see the typical dozen or so posts by angry AMD users @-ing him with their complaints or support requests. I'd imagine that's normally what he sees, when he logs in.
              Last edited by coder; 04 April 2024, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all of your hard work over the years. Congratulations and enjoy retirement!

Comment

Congrats bridgman, enjoy your well-deserved retirement!

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    LOL! Not always trolling. Sometimes, trying to pitch bridgman on a "brilliant" idea that he should totally pass on to AMD's senior management or the CPU product managers (as if he even knows who those people are).
                    ‚ÄčIt'd be generous of him to pop in and say a few nice words to the community. Wouldn't cost him much, but maybe he just wants his legacy of tens of thousands of (mostly) patient posts to speak for itself.
                    More likely than not, he's off on a vacation somewhere, celebrating his newfound freedom. Can't blame him for not wanting to ruin it by logging into Phoronix, expecting to see the typical dozen or so posts by angry AMD users @-ing him with their complaints or support requests. I'd imagine that's normally what he sees, when he logs in.
                    if we listen to Avis/Birdie/Sophisticles they do not even try to have a brilliant idea and of course they do not improve anything for them microsoft windows is best and open-source people can not have any brilliant idea what so ever.

thats the problem of the forum in general people do not even try to be brilliant some just want to be destructive here.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I may be a bit late bridgman, but it's thanks to people like you that I am able to enjoy excellent quality FOSS driver support on my all-AMD system. (With a little of bit of room for improvement in ROCm.) Thank you so much and have a nice retirement!

Comment

Working...
                      X