AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Really hard to get excited about graphics cards these days. If you spend most of your time playing "AAA" games with fancy graphics then you really need one of those $400+ cards at least if you want to enjoy the game in its visual splendor and with decent speed. I'm talking about medium to high settings, +1440p, +60fps. Unless you are fine with frame generation and upscaling. For the rest of games, you can make due with a much slower card (but still better than integrated graphics), and at this level paying $300+ for a GPU seems really unappetizing.
    I agree, even with triple AAA games though, most aren't that good anyway. I have been enjoying the Resident Evil 4 remake with pretty decent settings on a 8GB card. Even if I had a $1k beast of a card I would still be tweaking settings in modern games cause lots of graphics options in them just look bad. One can game pretty comfortably on hardware that's even a few generations back.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
      I decided to purchase the best "old" card instead of a middle new card, and I am very happy with that decission, and I think I will do the same with future generations unless there is high advantages, in favor of new products in price / performance, or new features.
      Most of the times older gens win in perf/dollar just because of the price cuts you get. I personally don't want a 300 W card in my PC, you need case and power supply to support those monsters and you can say goodbye to silent hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
        Just look how absurd it's already gotten with 30 pound graphics cards bending under their own weight, hanging out of a friggin PCI slot with 8 power cables going into them. Let's be honest, PCI slots were for sound blasters, not this.
        They are getting worse. Some are now requiring 12 pins.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
          i told you the prices of amd products and the prices for nvidia products are not connected like most people think.
          Prices these days are largely dictated by the process node used to fab the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Prices these days are largely dictated by the process node used to fab the chip.
            Prices are mostly dictated by the general market. It's true that nodes are becoming more expensive, so companies tend to increase the prices to maintain stable margins. However, this works because people are willing to pay more. Otherwise companies would have to take a margins hit or stick with older nodes or cheaper designs.

Of course, one of the reasons why people are willing to pay more is that some of the popular HW outlets, like LTT for example, defends corporate side of things by justifying price increases, because, you know, companies just must have maximum margins. You should "just accept" that and compensate manufacturing costs difference.
            Last edited by drakonas777; 25 January 2024, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

Nvidia is blocking technology so that AMD can not use it because a 128bit interface 7600XT could be much faster with GDDR6x ram.
              ROFL LMAO LOL

Another portion of utter lunacy not confirmed by anyone under the sun.

Comment

What strikes me the most in this review is how durable RX 6600 is for 1080p gaming on Linux. Incredible power efficiency and very playable framerates for a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I agree, even with triple AAA games though, most aren't that good anyway. I have been enjoying the Resident Evil 4 remake with pretty decent settings on a 8GB card. Even if I had a $1k beast of a card I would still be tweaking settings in modern games cause lots of graphics options in them just look bad. One can game pretty comfortably on hardware that's even a few generations back.
                  That's what makes it even more unappealing. Why spend $500 and more on a card if all you will do is play some glorified tech demo?

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post

That's what makes it even more unappealing. Why spend $500 and more on a card if all you will do is play some glorified tech demo?
                    Luckily the game industry doesn't care about a small group of people who pretend they have an OS.

Games are sold for consoles and Windows PCs. Your Linux device translating Windows APIs is a non-factor.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      well yes. but even if the nvidia chip is 5nm and the amd chip is 5nm means same TSMC node there is a price difference.
                      well there is no 5nm monolit die chip from amd. and the chiplets are also 6nm...

in the end the consumers compare end-products ?

a 7900XTX is 949€ here in germany and a 4090 is 1879€

Based on 31,504 user benchmarks for the AMD RX 7900-XTX and the Nvidia RTX 4090, we rank them both on effective speed and value for money against the best 715 GPUs.

biased userbenchmark claims the 4090 is +44% faster... but if we calculate 949*1,44=1366.56€

1879-1366=513€

so you say you pay 513€ more just because AMD use 6nm for the chiplets ? i am pretty sure this is not the case

i am pretty sure you maybe pay 100€ more for 5nm and the rest is nvidia premium payment for the brand and CUDA/OPTIX/Raytracing/DLSS gimics
                      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                      X