AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

GeForce 4Ti was several times faster than Geforce 256.

You got confused with the Geforce4Mx, which was a rebranded Geforce2 and actually the slowest version, the Geforce4MX420, was slightly slower than the Geforce2Ti (In those days, the MX suffix meant a poor, slow version).

Of course, all these cards were faster than the Geforce 256. And the Gforce4Ti was a very powerful card.
    You have misunderstood me. Geforce 256 was released in 1999. Geforce 4 Ti was released 3 years later, in 2002.
    It's more or less the same amount of time like between 6800XT (2020) and 7800XT (2023).

Yet between these cards there was significant speed difference, not to mention the latter also has Pixel Shader 1.3 and more memory.
    7800XT brings absolutely nothing new, save for shitty AV1 encoder that only streamers will make use of.

This shows what kind of market we have today.

edit:
    of course 4mx is crap. I remember Carmack saying it won't be able to run Doom 3 due to missing shaders. R9000 was vastly superior card back then,
    Last edited by sobrus; 24 January 2024, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gentoofu View Post

DisplayPort 2.1 is hard requirement for these cards. 7600 non-XT only requires 1.4. So, that also might have something to do with requiring 8-pin vs 6.
      No. There are 1 x 8 pin designs out there for 7600 XT cards. I assume cards like the one reviewed here are just reusing a board design for a higher tier card and slapping a smaller cooler on them. I also suspect there's a bit of consumer idiocy here around MOOOAAARRR POWWWAAAA that the AIB partners are catering to. If it has more power connectors it must be more powerful / faster right ?
      Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 24 January 2024, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
        This class of GPUs used to be around $120. So sad...
        the 120 dollar GPUs still exist here is an example: igpu ryzen 8700g radeon 780
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

the 120 dollar GPUs still exist here is an example: igpu ryzen 8700g radeon 780
          Pair it with plenty of fast (expensive) RAM and you don't have such a cost efficient system.

Comment

I still think they should have given it at least slightly faster RAM to create more of a performance gap, but that ship has sailed. They are getting more than I expected, though.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

No. There are 1 x 8 pin designs out there for 7600 XT cards. I assume cards like the one reviewed here are just reusing a board design for a higher tier card and slapping a smaller cooler on them. I also suspect there's a bit of consumer idiocy here around MOOOAAARRR POWWWAAAA that the AIB partners are catering to. If it has more power connectors it must be more powerful / faster right ?
            That seems to be XFX' personality, yes. They were also selling three fan designs much like this for RDNA 2, and it makes the cards stupid long.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
              I still think they should have given it at least slightly faster RAM to create more of a performance gap, but that ship has sailed. They are getting more than I expected, though.

That seems to be XFX' personality, yes. They were also selling three fan designs much like this for RDNA 2, and it makes the cards stupid long.
              And also pretty silent and cool running. Unlike Gigabyte and Sapphire, they are usually not stingy with their heatsinks either, so you get a big slab of ALU to go with the card even on more budget options. A lot of people apparently don't mind noisy video cards with those awful 80/90/100mm slim fans, but after years of having passively cooled cards and cards with big aftermarket custom heatsinks I personally can't stand most stock and third party compact 2 fan designs.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My bread used to cost $2.25 a loaf, now it's $4.00. A 20 oz soda used to cost $1.25 and now it's $2.69. Everything used to be 2-3x cheaper. So sad...

I bake my own fucking bread now.
                What about your salary?

Comment

No, your games aren't going to run much faster for the most part on the same class of GPU. It's not about the performance of the GPU, that's pretty much unchanged. If your game or application wasn't VRAM constrained at 8 GB it won't be any faster now than it was before. If however you're starting to show programs that are VRAM constrained, and in the past few months I actually have two, then a $330 refresh with double the VRAM maybe a cost effective solution rather than spending $450+ for the next GPU step up, which not everyone can really justify or afford. Without any idea when and what the next round of GPU generations will supplant the current crop, if you want a solution right now to VRAM exhaustion in a mid tier GPU, you now have an option other than the RTX 3060 12GB refresh or the first gen slightly wonky and hard to find Intel A770 16 GB (the idle power burn puts me off the Intel boards right now).

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    Total power consumption is lower for RDNA 3 vs RDNA 2 but yes, there was some peculiar idle power problem with RDNA 3 cards and also a problem when using multiple displays - I forget if it was just for 2 or more than 2 - and whether this was ever 'fixed' or solved - it sounds like it's still occurring - it might not be a driver problem but something to do with the architecture - it depends on how you ask - but, it's very worrisome to hear - although, I don't plan on using more than one display - it's still bad to have some architecture defect or design flaw in your potentially super expensive graphics card.
                    The other aspect of this idle power problem is the refresh rates of the display - when they vary - anyway, someone here is bound to know more or explain it better - but, it is problematic, that's all I know.
                    the idle power problems what people did discover and was mitigated later has nothing to do with RDNA3.

the 7600/7600XT is also RDNA3 and does not have this problem because it is a monolit chip die.

the problem is the chiplet design it makes the end product cheaper to produce but the chiplet design also increase the power usage in some situations like idle.

but this has nothing to do with the RDNA3 architecture. the ryzen 8700G/radeon 780 is also RDNA3 but a monolit chip only these cards with chiplet design showed these problems.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post

You have misunderstood me.
                      Right. I can see it now.
                      of course 4mx is crap.
                      I know because I had this graphic.
                      I remember Carmack saying it won't be able to run Doom 3 due to missing shaders.
                      I remember wanting to play Silent Hill 3 and the game screaming that I didn't have a pixel shader. I got this card in 2002, and in 2003 such a surprise. Even Geforce3 had pixel shader. But at least then you could see a big progression from year to year and 4mx was cheap - about $100. Today is expensive, hot and little progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X