Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

AMD announced back during CES the Radeon RX 7600 XT as a $329 USD graphics card for 1080p/144p gaming. Today that card goes on sale and the review embargo has lifted. Here is an initial look at the AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT performance under Linux with AMD's open-source driver stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Radeon RX 7600 XT was also typically delivering slightly better performance than the similarly priced NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 graphics card.
    In games without RT. For games with light RT (not heavy or PT) the RTX 4060 is quite ahead:

Weird, the power consumption that you've measured is so much lower than for other reviewers:

Last edited by avis; 24 January 2024, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Michael You have it as 144p gaming in the first sentence and later down you say the 7700 XT has 16GB of memory instead of 12GB.

Having the Radeon RX 7600 XT with 16GB of video memory though does put the Radeon RX 7700 XT in a bit of a weird spot due to it only having 16GB of video memory.
      I'm glad to see that my $329 RX 6700 XT 12GB out performs the 7600 XT 16GB. I game at 1440P ultrawide and have never ran into a situation where 12GB wasn't enough for textures. I suppose if I was playing at 4K that might matter, but that begs the question: Who the hell is pushing a 7600 XT to run at 4K?

It also shows that 4K textures should be an add-on for a game and not the default. IMHO, 1080p/1440p gamers running medium/high settings don't need textures downscaled from 4K. That's overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        For games with light RT (not heavy or PT) the RTX 4060 is quite ahead
        But that doesn't matter since all of them are at unplayable frame rates with those settings.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I'm glad to see that my $329 RX 6700 XT 12GB out performs the 7600 XT 16GB.
        Be aware that this is probably just due to early drivers. Under Windows those 2 cards are head to head.

Comment

This class of GPUs used to be around $120. So sad...

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
            As long as enough people pay those high prices we will never get back to old prices. Even worse is that the used market also raised it's prices, still cheaper than new but not exactly cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              But that doesn't matter since all of them are at unplayable frame rates with those settings.

Outside of unicorn games like Resident Evil 2 that lightly make use of it, RT sucks with most all GPUs that aren't at least $700. When the FPS is so low that you can't utilize VFR and have to use tricks like LFC, it just ain't worth it.

​Be aware that this is probably just due to early drivers. Under Windows those 2 cards are head to head.
              The ones on Windows...OK, one...I've seen showed the 6700 XT slightly ahead of the 7600 XT, especially when the resolution hits 1440p. From what I can tell, if a person is playing at resolutions over 1080p or 1080p ultrawide, the 6700 XT with less VRAM is probably the better GPU for them.

If they're playing at 1080p 16:9 and don't plan on upgrading their monitor anytime soon, then the 7600 XT is basically the new RX 580 and is worth considering.

I lol'd when I saw the RX 590 results. To think, one year ago I was using the RX 580 4GB dealing with 6700 XT Christmas RMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
                My bread used to cost $2.25 a loaf, now it's $4.00. A 20 oz soda used to cost $1.25 and now it's $2.69. Everything used to be 2-3x cheaper. So sad...

I bake my own fucking bread now.

Comment

It matters for avis, because his intention is to defend NVIDIA products and make them look better than they actually are.

Comment

Be aware that this is probably just due to early drivers. Under Windows those 2 cards are head to head.
                    I even added a freaking screenshot and linked an article where at 1080p RTX 4060 works beautifully (average fps above 35 which is considered OK for most single player games) for RT enabled games.

What could have I done more so that you didn't utter this nonsense?

Comment

Working...
                    X