No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seemingly lazy engineering by board partners drives me nuts. Why the hell does this card with a 190W TBP and a peak of 165W in these tests need two 8 pins for power? That's 375W of potential for a card that can easily get by on a single 8 pin. Even i f they want to assume 0W from the PCIe slot from some crap out of spec motherboard, one 8 pin + one 6 pin would be more than enough. And it's not just power delivery. Even most midrange cards are > 2.0 slots these days. And even for the ones that are actually 2 slots wide, they have these ridiculous cooler designs that stick up way above the slot height and won't fit under cooling shrouds in some cases.

Unless you need the AV1 encoder, you'd be better off with a 6700 XT for the exact same $329. It's faster. It uses an x16 interface vs x8. And it's got way more memory bandwidth (192 wide vs 128). Get 'em before they are gone.
    Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 24 January 2024, 12:21 PM.

Comment

This is so embarassing when 3+ year old 6800XT is faster than 7800XT. It's like original GeForce 256 was faster than GeForce4 Ti.
      Of course I do understand that 7800XT is almost twice as fast, having almost 80TFlops of performance and is able to make nice presentation slides 6800XT can only dream of.

IMHO the only RDNA3 goal was to decrease manufacturing costs, really.
      Not that nVidia fares any better.
      Last edited by sobrus; 24 January 2024, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I even added a freaking screenshot and linked an article where at 1080p RTX 4060 works beautifully (average fps above 35 which is considered OK for most single player games) for RT enabled games.

What could have I done more so that you didn't utter this nonsense?
        Yes, above 35. Its 35.1 in the graph - fucking LOL. 35 is NOT considered OK, especially when 1% lows are 25, which means .1% lows even below that. Unless stutter and shit image quality is OK for you of course, which probably is, considering you like DF content.

Comment

Hello! ROCm is also working with RDNA3? At least HIP/OpenCL runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            I even added a freaking screenshot and linked an article where at 1080p RTX 4060 works beautifully (average fps above 35 which is considered OK for most single player games) for RT enabled games.
            Who buys an RTX 4060 to play cyberpunk at 30fps in 1080p ?

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
              This is so embarassing when 3+ year old 6800XT is faster than 7800XT. It's like original GeForce 256 was faster than GeForce4 Ti.
              Of course I do understand that 7800XT is almost twice as fast, having almost 80TFlops of performance and is able to make nice presentation slides 6800XT can only dream of.

IMHO the only RDNA3 goal was to decrease manufacturing costs, really.
              Not that nVidia fares any better.
              And at least in the US, you can grab a brand new RX 6800 for $400 (XFX Speedster on Newegg). That's probably the best deal around right now on a card in this general price bracket. I don't even need one but I'm tempted to pick one up since the newer generations from AMD and Nvidia have been depressing as shit.

Comment

Depressing release. I fail to see that AMD is really trying to evolve (or compete) with this card, having almost the same perf of RX6600 XT.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
                  GeForce 256 was faster than GeForce4 Ti.
                  GeForce 4Ti was several times faster than Geforce 256.

You got confused with the Geforce4Mx, which was a rebranded Geforce2 and actually the slowest version, the Geforce4MX420, was slightly slower than the Geforce2Ti (In those days, the MX suffix meant a poor, slow version).

Of course, all these cards were faster than the Geforce 256. And the Gforce4Ti was a very powerful card.

Comment

The 5600xt seemed to be the most cursed card in existence with regards to experiencing random hardware issues on Windows/Linux, 6600XT was absolute perfect though.
                    *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout was a fun one

Anyway, AMD has put a lot of effort into Linux, and these are great cards for someone who wants a workstation but also do some light gaming on the side, maybe through VFIO etc.

edit: Noticed it now has 2 power connectors, the previous generations, does it need more power?
                    Last edited by joshx1; 24 January 2024, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

GeForce 4Ti was several times faster than Geforce 256.

You got confused with the Geforce4Mx, which was a rebranded Geforce2 and actually the slowest version, the Geforce4MX420, was slightly slower than the Geforce2Ti (In those days, the MX suffix meant a poor, slow version).

Of course, all these cards were faster than the Geforce 256. And the Gforce4Ti was a very powerful card.
                      I had one of those piece of shit GPUs. It was available locally and my parents didn't know any better. It was better than the Intel iGPU my q6600 had, but that's it. IIRC, it did Morrowind at like 640x480 30. Regardless of the OS, I was basically limited to SNES9x and under for a long, long time.

Ironically, my crappy GPUs never being able to play Windows games very well was one of the reasons I didn't mind moving over to Linux full time and stayed a console gamer until the end of the PS3 era when AMD announced AMDGPU as an open source driver.
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 24 January 2024, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X