No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had two RX 580s I bought for $170 each in August 2020 (one for Linux and one for my passthrough Windows 10 VM). But one crapped out and I had to buy an XFX Speedster RX 6600 for a whopping $330 in June 2022. All of these where only 8GB, and it was painful to spend that much money on any of them.

In fact the only reason I bought a 6600 to replace the fried 580 was so I could try to play Destiny 2 with my son and his friends on my Windows VM. But since I'm not a gamer I quickly lost interest, and was holding everyone else in the game back anyway, so I quickly left the group and since then it just mostly sits idle in the slot for the Windows VM.

So all I can say is thank goodness I'm not a gamer because, wow, the price/power ratio for all graphics cards are still ridiculously high. I feel bad for those who really enjoy gaming and have to spend $500 or more for anything really capable of playing any modern games, even at lower settings with barely acceptable frame rates. It's just ludicrous, and I don't see it getting any better in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      AMD and Nvidia are doing the same thing - I know ppl scoff at the accusation that they're colluding here - but, hey, it sure looks like it.
      i told you the prices of amd products and the prices for nvidia products are not connected like most people think.
      people believe they are in competition and the price is competitive but reality is there is no competition.
      not even competition with told products see the 6700 is faster than the 7600xt... and the price is the same.
      if 2 so called competitors find some market niches​ they stop competing because it is more profitable to just sell to this niche instead if competing to the general market.
      Nvidia serves the niche and yes it is a niche because most players do not play in raytracing and pro-gamers who play competively do not play in raytracing but Nvidia fills this raytracing niche in games and also in Blender with OptiX
      AMD does not have the hardware yet to compete in this field thats why there is no competition.
      Its not only Nvidia who did find a niche like that AMD found a niche to they discovered that Linux/opensource people like opensource drivers
      so its more profitable for them to sell AMD instinct cards to linux running supercomputers than to produce gaming cards.
      this niche stops the competition why should AMD compete with Nvidia if the linux people go and buy AMD anyway and of course would never consider Nvidia ?
      the capitalist theory of competive price finding is only if both have the same product and could not find a niche to earn the money there.

the only competition exist in the gpu market is intel vs amd because they both do opensource drivers but if you compare intel arc a770 with the 7600xT you discover yes its the same performance for 30€ less money but the intel driver is less mature means for the better driver support you better pay 30€ more. so whats happens is intel only gets the poor people who are forced to buy the cheapest they can find. i myself bought my mother a intel arc a380 only because it was the cheapest card i could find to repear her computer.

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      The 4060 is crap and Nvidia gimps and cripples cards - released cards with low amounts of vram and charges a fortunate for them - they do this so you have no choice but to look at the higher tiers - to force you to go to the flagship cards - to the xx80 and xx90 cards.
      AMD is copying this philosophy except they're generous to slap more vram to the mid-tier and upper tier cards - but, they still gimp the cards as you can see - the 'improvement/boost/progress' whatever you want to call it is modest at best - well, maybe there's a slight power efficiency improvement and that's pretty good for AMD.
      there is a technical reason why nvidia has less vram and amd has little more vram AMD because of Patents are forced to put cheap/slow ram on their cards. they only do GDDR6.-.. but Nvidia does GDDR6x the Patent costs for GDDR6x force Nvidia to only put less vram on the cards.
      if Nvidia would not reduce the amount of vram they could not compete with AMD in price... (but you already discovered they do not want to compete)

AMD infinity cache is just a hack to get more performance out of cheap GDDR6 ram...

Nvidia is blocking technology so that AMD can not use it because a 128bit interface 7600XT could be much faster with GDDR6x ram.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Pair it with plenty of fast (expensive) RAM and you don't have such a cost efficient system.
        most gamers honestly just put in what the current playstation 5 has means they put in 16gb...

and DDR5-6600mhz ram is not that expensive anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          No, your games aren't going to run much faster for the most part on the same class of GPU. It's not about the performance of the GPU, that's pretty much unchanged. If your game or application wasn't VRAM constrained at 8 GB it won't be any faster now than it was before. If however you're starting to show programs that are VRAM constrained, and in the past few months I actually have two, then a $330 refresh with double the VRAM maybe a cost effective solution rather than spending $450+ for the next GPU step up, which not everyone can really justify or afford. Without any idea when and what the next round of GPU generations will supplant the current crop, if you want a solution right now to VRAM exhaustion in a mid tier GPU, you now have an option other than the RTX 3060 12GB refresh or the first gen slightly wonky and hard to find Intel A770 16 GB (the idle power burn puts me off the Intel boards right now).
          Previous gen inventory will eventually sell off, but right now an RX 6800 for $70 more is a hell of a better card that also happens to have 16GB of VRAM.

Buy XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 CORE Gaming Graphics Card with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I even added a freaking screenshot and linked an article where at 1080p RTX 4060 works beautifully (average fps above 35 which is considered OK for most single player games) for RT enabled games.

What could have I done more so that you didn't utter this nonsense?
            30fps is BARELY acceptable for SOME games. I don't think anyone would be excited about buying a new card to get that result.

However, presumably the lead holds if you go down to 720p to get a more reasonable frame rate. The question is if it makes sense to buy a card that can only game at 720p, or if the game looks better there or at 1080p without RT. Probably depends on the game.

Comment

What we really need is everything packaged together like the MI300, cpu + accelerators + memory. (and hey, while we're at it, lets throw a few flash chips on there too for a complete package). Modularity is cool in theory obviously but at this point and going forward it's definitely the bottleneck.

Just look how absurd it's already gotten with 30 pound graphics cards bending under their own weight, hanging out of a friggin PCI slot with 8 power cables going into them. Let's be honest, PCI slots were for sound blasters, not this.

Even these monstrous companies that don't exactly turn on a dime are already moving in this direction with their high-end enterprise stuff. Unfortunately it will take longer than it should for consumer-grade desktop stuff to make this necessary evolution because these companies want their enterprise stuff to shine as bright as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
                What we really need is everything packaged together like the MI300, cpu + accelerators + memory. (and hey, while we're at it, lets throw a few flash chips on there too for a complete package). Modularity is cool in theory obviously but at this point and going forward it's definitely the bottleneck.

Just look how absurd it's already gotten with 30 pound graphics cards bending under their own weight, hanging out of a friggin PCI slot with 8 power cables going into them. Let's be honest, PCI slots were for sound blasters, not this.

Even these monstrous companies that don't exactly turn on a dime are already moving in this direction with their high-end enterprise stuff. Unfortunately it will take longer than it should for consumer-grade desktop stuff to make this necessary evolution because these companies want their enterprise stuff to shine as bright as possible.
                you are maybe interested in High-End-APU: AMDs Strix Halo

​with a 16core zen5 CPU and a RDNA3,5 GPU with 2560 shader units with 32 GByte LPDDR5X-850000-RAM on a 256 Bit ram interface with 272 GByte/s

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

yes i know this is not exactly a MI300 and does not have flash chips.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  I even added a freaking screenshot and linked an article where at 1080p RTX 4060 works beautifully (average fps above 35 which is considered OK for most single player games) for RT enabled games.
                  Cyberpunk is a 1st/3th person shooter where you can drive fast cars and it dips down to 27 FPS. We clearly have a different concept of works beautifully, this would be acceptable for turn based games for me, not for FPS.
                  What could have I done more so that you didn't utter this nonsense?
                  Using sane arguments but I know you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
                    I hate traditional PC cases for this reason, but there aren't many alternatives. Best recent effort would be the Thermaltake "The Tower" series, I suppose, where the GPU hangs vertically.

Comment

Thanks, but I miss the AMD 6950XT 16 Gb, not only because it is my GPU; but because it is the AMD 6XXX family best card.
                      And I also miss the Intel ARC 770 16 Gb because of the same issue, last generation best card benchmarked vs new low and middle tier cards.

I decided to purchase the best "old" card instead of a middle new card, and I am very happy with that decission, and I think I will do the same with future generations unless there is high advantages, in favor of new products in price / performance, or new features.

Comment

Working...
                      X