Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD ROCm 6.0 Now Available To Download With MI300 Support, PyTorch FP8 & More AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD ROCm 6.0 Now Available To Download With MI300 Support, PyTorch FP8 & More AI

Phoronix: AMD ROCm 6.0 Now Available To Download With MI300 Support, PyTorch FP8 & More AI

Earlier this month at AMD's AI event in San Francisco they announced ROCm 6.0 while launching the MI300X and MI300A accelerators. While announced back on the 6th, today marks the actual availability of ROCm 6.0 with the source code and binaries now publicly available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    When it comes to Linux-supported GPUs by ROCm 6.0, the only Radeon cards listed are the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and Radeon VII... A bit odd when a month ago AMD was talking up ROCm for the RX 7900 XT.​
    I am so incredibly disappointed by AMD yet AGAIN. They said months ago they would support more GPUs with ROCm in 2023. Now the year of 2023 only has a few days left and we made ZERO progress so far.
    I don't expect anything of substance anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Beach View Post

I am so incredibly disappointed by AMD yet AGAIN. They said months ago they would support more GPUs with ROCm in 2023. Now the year of 2023 only has a few days left and we made ZERO progress so far.
      I don't expect anything of substance anymore.
      Dropping Vega support is also a big regression in that regard, IMHO.

Comment

Something I want to mention is that this is just the official support stance. It's not necessarily what works.​ There is nothing in the software stack to explicitly exclude any GPU.

For example I can run ROCm related stuff on a mobile 7700S even though it's not in that list.
        Think about more like "This is what AMD actively tests on and if you have problems they'll be willing to help with them"

Comment

Support just for Radeon 7 and 7900 XTX and Ubuntu???
          That's what I call really bad support!
          How about all the 7K series and Debian too?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Dropping Vega support is also a big regression in that regard, IMHO.
            They support the Pro VII, so they cannot drop vega. Actually I think it is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by superm1 View Post
              Something I want to mention is that this is just the official support stance. It's not necessarily what works.​ There is nothing in the software stack to explicitly exclude any GPU.
              Then suggest to your co-workers that they tighten up their messaging, so it doesn't provoke unnecessary angst.

I'd probably classify products no longer tested or with prioritized customer support as "legacy" or maybe "deprecated", with further definition of exactly what that classification connotes.

When support is definitely broken for older products, it'd also be nice to indicate the last release believed to work with them, so users of those models would know at what point they should stop upgrading.

Comment

Yep... I'm trying to get two changes implemented:

#1 - distinguish between "not tested" and "not supported in the code" as everyone has suggested

#2 - for "not tested" parts do some kind of periodic testing so every part at least gets covered once during a release cycle even if not final QA

There is other work already going on to increase the breadth of supported hardware - the points above are just for chips/boards that still don't fit into the "tested at all points in the development cycle including final QA" coverage that we require to call something supported.
                Test signature

Comment

Dear AMD,

Take lessons from NVIDIA and start supporting client GPU, you won't go any further with your current policy.
                  Last edited by Setif; 16 December 2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Well, they do support a bunch of consumer GPUs, basically the entire 6000 & 7000 series (only Navi 32 is missing, but I expect it will be soon)

But "the issue" is, those are officially supported only on Windows, choice of only 90+% of PC users (Apple ditched AMD, Intel & nVidia, so there's no point to consider them for this). The reason nVidia made such success with CUDA years ago is that it was supported on cheap(er) consumer GPUs and on Windows

Few days ago I saw instructions on opensuse forums how to use ROCm on unsupported distro and unsupported GPU, with distrobox and ubuntu, and I like it that way
                    Last edited by Space Beer; 16 December 2023, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X