AMD Rethinks Decision And Will Open-Source Most Of Radeon Rays 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

If Vulkan is moving the compute shaders under its umbrella they've basically admitted Apple was correct and are covering their ducks against what Metal offers.
    Metal is dead and irrelevant.

Comment

Thanks AMD. Your Open Source effort is huge and your CPUs are the best. Graphic part is also great.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Metal is dead and irrelevant.
        Interestingly, many major engines support it. In mobile, I expect it to be more widespread than Vulkan atm. I get that people here dislike Apple for multiple reasons but come on.. Try to be objective, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Interestingly, many major engines support it. In mobile, I expect it to be more widespread than Vulkan atm. I get that people here dislike Apple for multiple reasons but come on.. Try to be objective, at least.
          Yeah, because there is no proper implementation for it on Apple devices.

Comment

THX AMD. Today is a good day AMD not evil yet and Linux Native Alyx. Those days when you really feel love for OpenSource and Linux

Comment

Nobody uses this except apple which doesn't matter even on desktops.

Comment

What a relief, i was really worried AMD would go back to the dark side here ^^

Comment

hurrah, hurrah, hurrah...

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Nobody uses this except apple which doesn't matter even on desktops.
                    We are getting side tracked but that is simply wrong. Adobe applications for example support it. Unreal and Blizzard support it. Basically all games on iOS support it at the moment. This forum is not the key target customer base of this but there is substantial traction in some markets. Nonetheless, we all agree that a native Vulkan implementation on those devices would be preferable - at least from a developer and cross-platform POV. But the business side is different. You don't see MS switching to Vulkan either. But yeah, that was quite off topic. Sorry about that.

Comment

We are getting side tracked but that is simply wrong. Adobe applications for example support it. Unreal and Blizzard support it. Basically all games on iOS support it at the moment. This forum is not the key target customer base of this but there is substantial traction in some markets. Nonetheless, we all agree that a native Vulkan implementation on those devices would be preferable - at least from a developer and cross-platform POV. But the business side is different. You don't see MS switching to Vulkan either. But yeah, that was quite off topic. Sorry about that.
                      By saying nobody uses it except Apple I meant other operating systems. You can use Vulkan on Windows afaik.

Comment

Working...
                      X