AMD Rethinks Decision And Will Open-Source Most Of Radeon Rays 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Rethinks Decision And Will Open-Source Most Of Radeon Rays 4.0

Phoronix: AMD Rethinks Decision And Will Open-Source Most Of Radeon Rays 4.0

Two days ago as part of the GPUOpen relaunch AMD released Radeon Rays 4.0 as their ray intersection library. Unlike the previous Radeon Rays release, however, this new Vulkan-enabled version was not open-source. But now AMD has decided that at least in large part it will be going back to open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent News ..... glad there was a rethink.

Comment

Good. That's the right decision.

Comment

I'm glad AMD recognized that moving to closed source would be a mistake. And it's to their credit that they acknowledged their error, and reversed course, so quickly.

Comment

Whats the issue with not supporting OpenCL? does that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            I do not this really matters, considering current OSS status of OpenCL implementations.

Comment

I'm actually surprised they changed it. Seems like whenever a company makes such decisions, they put their foot down regardless of how much people complain.

OpenCL is kinda dead in terms of future developments. Of course, it will still remain relevant for many years, but the future for the most part lies in Vulkan.

Comment

OpenCL is dead.

Comment

Bravo!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I'm actually surprised they changed it. Seems like whenever a company makes such decisions, they put their foot down regardless of how much people complain.

OpenCL is kinda dead in terms of future developments. Of course, it will still remain relevant for many years, but the future for the most part lies in Vulkan.
                    If Vulkan is moving the compute shaders under its umbrella they've basically admitted Apple was correct and are covering their ducks against what Metal offers.

Comment

Working...
                    X