AMD Rethinks Decision And Will Open-Source Most Of Radeon Rays 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

a lot of ppl use for gaming, most of mac buyers are ppl who like to show the apple and they simply refuse to use another thing because apple is the best and the smartest choice.
    Yeah, but only if an extra 2 grand for 5 year old specs with -THE- slowest graphics of -all- computers is a better choice in your mind. Hint; It's not....

Comment

This is why I buy AMD products.

Shoveled a fee grand into their money pile this year, lookingbyo shovel some more money their way soon.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You're right and that needed to be said. For half the mobile market and a decent percentage of the PC market, both with money to spend, Metal is the key API to use. Sadly, Vulkan really only matters for a small amount of Android and 2020 Linux users since DX12, Metal, and WTF the PlayStations do matter for everyone else targeting the markets that make the most money in the here and now.

This being a Linux enthusiast site, a lot of people have their blinders on to that. They see everything Linux as glass half full and everything not Linux as glass half fuck you.

For me on Linux, Vulkan has been the greatest thing ever so I wish it gets adopted on other operating systems and game consoles. Wishes and hopes don't change reality.
        "Half"? "Decent"? "Vulkan only matters for a small amount of Android and Linux Users"?

I'm sorry what world are you living in because it's not the real world.

Fact Check:
        Apple has been sitting around the 10-15% Global Smartphone mark according to the IDC since at least 2013.

Apple has an irrelevant amount of the PC Space (And Linux an even more irrelevant amount), that lies entirely within the margin of error.

Vulkan has Tier 1 support on Windows, Linux, Android, and the Nintendo Switch.
        Vulkan has Tier 2 support for Apple products through MoltenVK.

Sony has supported OpenGL in the past on the PlayStation, it wouldn't be unusual if the PS5 supported Vulkan.

The only one that is likely to be left out in the rain is the XBox Series X, but even if that is the case expect someone to develop a vulkan wrapper for it. That said DX12 sucks, and often hurt performance rather than helping it, and everyone knows it at this point which is why the number 1 buy in on Vulkan has been on Windows, in spite of DX12 having had early buy in.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

a lot of ppl use for gaming, most of mac buyers are ppl who like to show the apple and they simply refuse to use another thing because apple is the best and the smartest choice.
          Gaming on Macs is tangential to their primary purchase case. People buy Apple desktops or laptops because they believe they need them for work or school, and just play some games on them because it's convenient. The other reason is Apple's logo is a status symbol and well heeled customers have drunk the Apple Kool-aid and won't even contemplate that other vendors' hardware may perform better or be better suited to their use case for the same price, or even cost less. No one buys Apple desktops or laptops for gaming purposes because the Windows/PC hardware is cheaper, better performing, and better suited for it. Same as Linux. People in general use Linux for other reasons than playing games, just it's a nice tangential use not to have to reboot to play your favorite game if it's available for Linux.

This is how Apple has positioned itself for decades. While The Woz reportedly loved games, and even wrote some himself, the rest of the Apple founders were far more like IBM in outlook than their advertising suggested. Macs were for creative productivity which has *never* included games in the finished form.

Comment

Going closed source after being open source is a really bad move. Once you've done a bait and switch like that, even for just a few days, everyone is going to be expecting more of the same in the future.
            Last edited by JustinTurdeau; 16 May 2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Interestingly, many major engines support it. In mobile, I expect it to be more widespread than Vulkan atm. I get that people here dislike Apple for multiple reasons but come on.. Try to be objective, at least.
              All iPhone games will use it because nothing else is supported on the Apple ecosystem. It was not the developer's choice.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Gaming on Macs is tangential to their primary purchase case. People buy Apple desktops or laptops because they believe they need them for work or school, and just play some games on them because it's convenient. The other reason is Apple's logo is a status symbol and well heeled customers have drunk the Apple Kool-aid and won't even contemplate that other vendors' hardware may perform better or be better suited to their use case for the same price, or even cost less. No one buys Apple desktops or laptops for gaming purposes because the Windows/PC hardware is cheaper, better performing, and better suited for it. Same as Linux. People in general use Linux for other reasons than playing games, just it's a nice tangential use not to have to reboot to play your favorite game if it's available for Linux.

This is how Apple has positioned itself for decades. While The Woz reportedly loved games, and even wrote some himself, the rest of the Apple founders were far more like IBM in outlook than their advertising suggested. Macs were for creative productivity which has *never* included games in the finished form.
                True.

Most of people who use Apple for Gaming, use their hardware but install Windows on it for gaming.

More of my Steam games work on Linux now than Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                  Yeah, because there is no proper implementation for it on Apple devices.
                  Yeah, I did not say things might not be different if there was a full Vulkan implementation. I did not say anything about the reasons at all. All I am saying is: Metal is certainly not dead in some markets whether we like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

Yeah, I did not say things might not be different if there was a full Vulkan implementation. I did not say anything about the reasons at all. All I am saying is: Metal is certainly not dead in some markets whether we like it or not.
                    Yeah, Metal is just as much "not dead" as ie5.5 was right at the height of its anti-trust.... Sure, Metal is "not dead", but what it most definitely is, is anti-trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      If Vulkan is moving the compute shaders under its umbrella they've basically admitted Apple was correct and are covering their ducks against what Metal offers.
                      do you know that opencl was created by apple? why it wasn't created correctly in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                      X