NVIDIA 495.44 Linux Driver Released With GBM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Btw. Firefox will drop its GLX backend at some point and Nvidia Xorg users will have to use a synthetic timer instead of hardware vsync because mixed GLX vsync inside EGL just crashes with Nvidia. Have fun with things like this in the foreseeable future for your great Nvidia Xorg experience!
    Imagine using Firefox.

Comment

The 495 drivers showed up in the PPA today.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        Imagine using Firefox.
        I use it for everyday browsing and web development. It's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post
          The 495 drivers showed up in the PPA today.
          Installed 495 ppa drivers.
          Installed 21.2 mesa from ppa too.
          Set nvidia modeset in grb config

Anything else I need to do to run this in 21.10?

Wayland is running for me on nvidia on 21.10 but I want to know if it is egl or gbm? How do I know?

Or Am I assuming wrong and it requires a lot more work in Gnome/KDE etc.
          Last edited by vb_linux; 01 November 2021, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

Wayland is running for me on nvidia on 21.10 but I want to know if it is egl or gbm? How do I know?

Or Am I assuming wrong and it requires a lot more work in Gnome/KDE etc.
            There are patches for XWayland, Mutter/Kwin, egl-wayland, and a few other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

There are patches for XWayland, Mutter/Kwin, egl-wayland, and a few other things.
              So, still far away.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

So, still far away.
                Depends on the distro. For Ubuntu it might be a bit of wait, at least until relevant patches are backported, but Fedora already has them.

Comment

The one big thing holding me back from switching to Wayland is DPI scaling, text just becomes blurry if you scale 200% on a 4K monitor.

I'd rather have X11's DPI set to 192 with scaling set to 200%, which makes text sharp. It does cause some issues here and there with scaling in some fruity applications.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Curious to know: which problems?

From my years-long experience of using nVidia GPUs in my HTPCs, I've never encountered any problems whatsoever.
                    On the contrary, 'nvidia-settings' allows me to easily set the color range to 'limited' [studio levels], so that blacks are not crushed & whites not overblown.

And just to put this into perspective:
                    AMDGPU still doesn't have this very basic support after all these years:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/476
                    You probably aren't using HDMI, at least HDMI 2.1 in my case. If you have the computer shut the signal off when attempting to turn the tv back on to restore the signal it doesn't ever come back. You have to reboot your entire computer.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfjuocekr View Post
                      The one big thing holding me back from switching to Wayland is DPI scaling, text just becomes blurry if you scale 200% on a 4K monitor.

I'd rather have X11's DPI set to 192 with scaling set to 200%, which makes text sharp. It does cause some issues here and there with scaling in some fruity applications.

​​​
                      I use DPI scaling on a 4K monitor and it really doesn't look blurry to me, but I've heard multiple people say the same thing you're saying and I was really confused. It took me awhile before I realized this but, is it possible that text looks blurry to you in Wayland because you're running application's using XWayland? Native Wayland applications looks great to me but XWayland applications just get scaled up using linear, bilinear, or nearest neighbor scaling depending on the compositor. There are currently some MRs ont X Server git that are working on proper DPI scaling in XWayland but it's unclear when they'll be merged.
                      Last edited by Myownfriend; 03 November 2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X