NVIDIA 495.44 Linux Driver Released With GBM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
    Multiple users: I was experiencing problems with NVIDIA GPU.
    birdie: I was not, so you are wrong or lying.

This whole thread basically LOL
    I use NVIDIA with a composited WM and I never had any issues. No Tearing, no "slowness" when dragging, everything is butter smooth at 60 fps.

Which is why I find this beyond funny and cringe at the same time. I don't know what the fuck are you guys doing, but you're clearly doing something wrong, or using some shit settings.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Not a single laptop with NVIDIA at the time advertised Linux compatibility - buying them to run Linux was stupid to put it mildly. I'm not even sure any modern laptops advertise it which invalidates your entire post as well as six people who have gladly liked it.
      This statement of your not in fact true. 2012 when Linux gave Nvidia the finger there is something important.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module remember this is around in 2012 in fact way back to 2008 with Nvidia cards. What happened here Dell HP and others put particular models laptops on their Linux compatibility list there was no note that X model was only Linux compadible if you did not put the option Nvidia card in the laptop when you ordered it. 2012 may of the Nvidia Mobile PCI Express Modules when you cold booted up with Linux would start up in quite high power draw mode and stay there. That right you had to boot into windows power down the Nvidia Mobile PCI express mobule then restart and boot into Linux on a laptop that by the OEM list was Linux compatible.

So was the problem 100 percent Nvidia no. The OEM/ODMs who made the screwed up documentation on what was Linux compadible need to take some of the blame here. But there was also kind of stupid that Nvidia made Mobile PCI express modules that if you sat in bios/efi of 2012 that some of them would over heat and die thinking that its the intel GPU that rendering the bios interface on screen at that time. Nvidia has made some jank products over the years. So not only Linux incompable but bios/EFI incompatible as well. Stuff like that should not have happened.

Now tell me what the difference between Linux and HaikuOS is and why only Linux users have the rights to claim something despite it not being suggested, offered or advertised. I know logic is hard and emotions run rampant here, but please.
      Here you double down on falsehood. The reality here 2012 and before there had been error advertising laptops that could contain Nvidia GPU without direct monitor connect as 100 percent Linux compatible no matter the configuration. Worse Nvidia some major power management issues on those cards. If there is no driver to fire up the add on card it should not be fired up in these cases.

birdie I guess you would have never been going to Dell, HP and so on and downloading their lists of Linux compatible laptops for workstation usage. So you never saw this false advertising.

I don't care about either of these things. I can imagine EGLStreams were shared between platforms, so they naturally implemented them first.
      No that is not the truth either. The reality is EGLStreams never worked outside Linux. Never end up shared between platforms. Basically got zero adoption.
      I have a quick question on some EGL extensions for the FreeBSD driver that can’t seem to be found. I’m posting here because the Nvidia forums for FreeBSD don’t seem to get any answers from develope...

Yes surprise right Nvidia did not even bother with EGLSteams working correctly in Freebsd even that its meant to be supported platform for Unix drivers from Nvidia.

birdie the reality Nvidia had the idea that EGLStreams could be cross platform and bad news the design Linux particular logic into it so rendering it not cross platform at all.

No matter how you look at EGLStreams it been a screw up from start to finish and the sooner we are rid of it the better.

Releasing documentation costs a ton of money. Period.
      Old saying you have to spend money to make money. Not spending the money on releasing documentation has it costs. Like losing out on particular contracts is one cost of this.

There was another advantage to AMD doing documentation for public release. The legal audit process found stacks of patents AMD was paying for that they were not in fact using at all. So there is a question how much is Nvidia paying firms for patents they should not be because they have not done a full and proper audit to produce documentation. That process of the audit finds who owns what technology you are using.

The allowance to Nvidia firmware to fire up Nvidia cards HaikuOS graphical developers wanted and the open source Nvidia driver developers wanted would not cost Nvidia any money at all. This would be just altering the terms on the Nvidia binary drivers that it legal to extract and use the firmware. Remember once Nvidia started signing the firmwares the open source developers could not just go and code a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        I use NVIDIA with a composited WM and I never had any issues. No Tearing, no "slowness" when dragging, everything is butter smooth at 60 fps.
        No, it isn't. Stop lying to yourself.

Comment

Which is why I find this beyond funny and cringe at the same time. I don't know what the fuck are you guys doing, but you're clearly doing something wrong, or using some shit settings.
          maybe you are not really observant, maybe you are blind. maybe you run at 720p so you don't see bottleneck, maybe you are the guy who use CRT monitor and says '"it is fine". idk but you are motly stupid

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            Done, it's done. Xorg officially dead
            The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I can actually second this, being mostly an NVIDIA user myself. X11 works flawlessly as far as display and graphics in general are concerned. It's still not the best, since even changing stuff like mouse acceleration is really hard to do right if you're not running under a full-blown DE, but I'm also aware this is mostly a flaw in X11 itself.

But to be fair, Wayland is also full of these weird usability issues, albeit they're different ones. I've had weird misbehavior like windows rendering their own decorations inside compositor-drawn decorations, inconsistent font rendering and theming between applications, among others. So, personally, I see no reason to ditch X11 as things are.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
                Do you recall the specific version? I'm trying to find something about that in past release notes and haven't had any success so far.
                I'm also having trouble finding where it's mentioned in release notes but dma-buf has been supported since the first 470 beta driver. It was the 470 drivers which allowed XWayland applications to be hardware accelerated but it required that you run a version of XWayland with the patches that moved the dma-buf code from glamor's GBM backend to glamors common code so that it can be used by both backends.

Comment

Over 500 bug reports, fixes to the kernel, GCC, KDE and many other open source projects that's how I'm not doing anything. Lying about me all the time is definitely your forte.
                  Fixes to the kernel? How come I can't find anybody with your last name having contributed to the kernel?
                  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...or&q=Tashkinov

I've look you up before and outside of some bash scripts I can't find any code you wrote.

Comment

Repeating this expression while no knowing why it came about indicates exactly that.
                    What expression?

1. Never defended NVIDIA 2. Show me misinformation I've been spreading about X.org or Wayland - even if I did, I then apologized and corrected myself
                    I've never seen you apologize. On multiple occasions I've seen you repeat things in topics after you were corrected on in previous topics.

Unhappy???? Do you go around your life screaming FUCK YOU to everything and everyone you're not content with? How has this worked for you? Do you say "Fuck you" to your employer who doesn't pay you as much as you want? Or your wife? Or your parents and children? Are you out of you mind?? You're defending the lowest meanest behavior possible.

So much for the open source community, more like "we really love to cuss and hate community". If I were a company to join it, I'd think a 100 times before dealing with it.
                    Yes, I say "fuck you" to people and institutions who deserve. Most people do. Curse words aren't actually evil, Artem lol Are you all that familiar with how humans act? You don't curse but spend a significant amount of your time, with seemingly no end goal, talking about how much you hate Wayland, how anybody who supports it are cultists, how its devs are ignorant because they don't listen to you specifically, etc. so you've expressed the same sentiment without saying the words lol

Comment

What about a GNOME vs KDE on wayland/nvidia discussion? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X