Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Ryzen 9 3900X Offer Incredible Linux Performance But With A Big Caveat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyring View Post
    Thank you for this review.
    Is it Arch Linux ready ?
    Not if your Arch install is using systemd... Manjaro was tested and had same behavior.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Right as said in the article, using Linux 5.2 Git + Ubuntu 18.04 LTS does work, so it's some weird kernel<->user interaction going on.
      Call a spade a spade

"some weird kernel<->systemd interaction going on."

It is what you can expect when your init system is doing things it is not suppose to...

Comment

First and foremost, thanks for the review! My foresight is pointed at 3950X, so now I surely know it would definitely be worth upgrading from 1800X.

The results of 'AVX-heavy Himeno pressure solver' are pretty strange. Maybe there is someone knowledgeable with the test who can dig into. I suspect it may be this one does AVX-256 optimizations for Intel only, leaving Ryzen with AVX-128 intrinsics. Or maybe not, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell, it's just results look pretty strange.

Comment

"AMD has said their testing has been mostly focused on Ubuntu 18.04 given its LTS status"

And that's why it's best to use this kind of distro if you want things to work.
          Bleeding edge distros like Arch and others are fine if you want to constantly fiddle with things but if you just want them to work, stable/LTS distros are best.

This coming just after so many people criticized Debian Buster for its old dusty packages is kind of ironic

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Call a spade a spade

It is what you can expect when your init system is doing things it is not suppose to...
            your post is like reading a boomers facebook

Comment

I'm glad I got a Ryzen 2400G to hold me over. I'm also glad the Gigabyte Aorus B450 mobo worked out for me. (PCIe 4.0 is nice, but it's not worth having to actively cool the chipset.)

Comment

Call a spade a spade

A bug is a bug is a bug is a bug. Doesn't matter if it's sysvinit, openrc, upstart, or systemd, that's the definition of a bug in any software. If you're going to criticize systemd you might be more inventive about it than pointing out it has bugs like every other software package on the planet including the Linux kernel.

Comment

Michael
                  Have you tried testing it on an X370 or X470 board? Good chance it's a chipset problem.

Comment

Call a spade a spade

That hostile and juvenile attitude of systemd opponents does very little to convince anyone. A kernel panic is a bug, no matter the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
                      "AMD has said their testing has been mostly focused on Ubuntu 18.04 given its LTS status"

And that's why it's best to use this kind of distro if you want things to work.
                      Bleeding edge distros like Arch and others are fine if you want to constantly fiddle with things but if you just want them to work, stable/LTS distros are best.

This coming just after so many people criticized Debian Buster for its old dusty packages is kind of ironic
                      Idiot, those lts distros constantly lack support for the latest hardware. That's a really shitty advice for someone who prefers the latest bleeding edge hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X