Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Ryzen 9 3900X Offer Incredible Linux Performance But With A Big Caveat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurv View Post
    "AMD has said their testing has been mostly focused on Ubuntu 18.04 given its LTS status"

And that's why it's best to use this kind of distro if you want things to work.
    Bleeding edge distros like Arch and others are fine if you want to constantly fiddle with things but if you just want them to work, stable/LTS distros are best.

This coming just after so many people criticized Debian Buster for its old dusty packages is kind of ironic
    I doubt that the release model is to blame here but that AMD did their initial Linux testing only on 18.04 LTS. More testing on a wider variety of distributions would have revealed this bug sooner. I hope this serves as a mental note to their Linux testing team to be a bit more varied with their validation efforts.

Comment

I will be plugging my 3900x into an Asrock X370 Pro Gaming X on Tuesday/Wednesday if Newegg shipping is on schedule.
      I am running arch so we will see how this goes.
      Note that according to 1usmus the Combo AGESA 1.0.0.1 release (which Asrock already posted) won't have all features available. But Combo AGESA 1.0.0.3+ will.

Comment

What about Xen and KVM hypervisors support, PCI paththrough ?
        Do you confirm they are no idle states regressions: CC6 and PC6
        ​​​ ?

Comment

Frankly I am shocked that you couldn't get Fedora Workstation 31 to boot on Zen2, after all the articles you have posted about how "innovative" Fedora is, I guess their best "innovation" was not allowing you to use the latest and greatest hardware from day 1.

Comment

I would love to see a performance comparison between X370, X470 and X570 with these CPU's.

Comment

Nice report. Sad to hear about the regression but hopefully we will get a full report on the resolution. Hopefully we will see thermal numbers soon.

Zen2 appears to be very impressive and thus will likely be very appealing once notebook and thread ripper variants appear. It just warms the heart to know that we basically loose nothing by going AMD these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Game benchmarks are coming, ran short on time due to spending easily dozens of hours trying to figure out the Linux systemd/boot issue.
                Just systemd stuff, happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  Nice report. Sad to hear about the regression but hopefully we will get a full report on the resolution. Hopefully we will see thermal numbers soon.

Zen2 appears to be very impressive and thus will likely be very appealing once notebook and thread ripper variants appear. It just warms the heart to know that we basically loose nothing by going AMD these days.
                  In my opinion, in some cases, you only win by going AMD..

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I doubt that the release model is to blame here but that AMD did their initial Linux testing only on 18.04 LTS. More testing on a wider variety of distributions would have revealed this bug sooner. I hope this serves as a mental note to their Linux testing team to be a bit more varied with their validation efforts.
                    There's also RHEL. The oldest supported release contains 2.6 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by cyring View Post
                      Thank you for this review.
                      Is it Arch Linux ready ?
                      I just noticed Arch got an AMD microcode update. So, perhaps it is ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X