Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Ryzen 9 3900X Offer Incredible Linux Performance But With A Big Caveat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

There's also RHEL. The oldest supported release contains 2.6 kernel.
    ‚Äč
    For a consumer card, they should also prioritize testing/compatibility with consumer desktop distributions. Ubuntu 18.04 is important in this regard, no doubt about it. But there are others as well. We can thank Michael for highlighting these issues which should never exist at launch day to begin with...

Comment

For all the systemd grousing here, is there any actual evidence that this is in fact a systemd issue? The only real common thread seems to be 'newer distro'. While the kernel seems to be exonerated, it could also be interactions with the hardware and newer compilers or a driver bug that newer a newer udev turns out. I'd be really curious to see a dmesg from this.

Comment

Keep in mind that the 7960x is a 16 cores CPU and Michael only tested a 3900X against it which only has 12 cores.. Probably the 3950X would straight out win in almost any multihreaded benchmark, until the code really hits a non optimized branch due to errors in detection of hardware features.

Comment

What's the kernel bug about it, to follow the issue?

Comment

Sounds great, I will hold off buying a new Ryzen then until this is solved. But I'm quite interested and excited about the performance improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Frankly I am shocked that you couldn't get Fedora Workstation 31 to boot on Zen2, after all the articles you have posted about how "innovative" Fedora is, I guess their best "innovation" was not allowing you to use the latest and greatest hardware from day 1.
              Nothing shocking because the AMD Linux team primarily focuses on Ubuntu LTS, basically an enterprise distribution, development. However, Fedora is known to innovate better with the latest Intel release and the challenge will get a parity with AMD where the users' contribution matter.

Comment

...First test that really needs to be done is the 3900x using decent cooling. I have seen a trend online where the 3700x beats the 3900x and i suspect it's because it's turboing at higher speed due to reduced thermals.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Game benchmarks are coming, ran short on time due to spending easily dozens of hours trying to figure out the Linux systemd/boot issue.
                  Before you kill your CPU - you have the DOOM-combo that already killed a reviewers 3900X. https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ot-really.html

Comment

Informative benchmarks. So the jist is the lower end boards(x470) will clock just as well as the x570 on the higher core parts, assuming you have the vrm's to power it efficiently. Like with the Asus C7H.

Comment

Watch out for the chipset fan noise. Many report it to be an issue on new X570 motherboards.

Comment

Working...
                      X