Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Ryzen 9 3900X Offer Incredible Linux Performance But With A Big Caveat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by edmondztt View Post
    I actually tried with a newly made bootable USB stick, with version 16.04,18.04 and 20.04. what happened: it always goes into checking mode, whether i skip it or not, it will then enter the ubuntu icon screen and just freeze for a while before eventually goes into black screen.
    I don't wish to step on any toes by offering some suggestions myself, but if I may?

A few questions:

- You should see a GRUB screen first (listing OS, memtest etc) does it list something like "Compatibility Mode"? If so, would you try that?
    - Similarly, on the GRUB screen, you can hit "e" to edit the boot parameters (eg: acpi=off)... did you (or could you) try?
    - Have you tried any other distros? (CentOS, Manjaro, whatever...)
    - What GPU?

Ryzen in general has been an odd experience for me in both Linux and Windows, although Linux by far has the most quirks depending on what CPU, board, GPU and kernel are being used. I've always managed to get everything working, but some setups need more gentle treatment. Sometimes it's as bad as one BIOS version will work, the next is messed up and the one after that is OK again. Occasional kernel regressions crop up as well.

I've also had boards in the past have weirdly specific issues with a particular distro (*glares at Supermicro quad-socket G34 boards and RHEL/CentOS*) while working fine with other distros. I've also had systems which flat out refused to work with Ubuntu, but were OK with Mint (which is based on Ubuntu - no, I don't understand that either...)

I'd really suggest the first thing is try a different USB stick, redownload the image and check it's OK via sha256.

Also try a different USB port (not the second of a pair). If it has any USB2 ports, try one of them (if case has USB2 ports). I had strange issues years ago using a USB3 port to install Mint on a laptop...

If that still throws a fit, try a different distro - something with a newer kernel if possible. An Intel box I am responsible for refused to boot with Ubuntu 18.04-19.10, but was OK with 20.04, each non-working distro threw a different collection of errors ending with blank screens or freezes, so you might find a distro using 5.6 or 5.7 lets you get to a desktop.

If a newer kernel will get you to a desktop, but you absolutely must have Ubuntu, you could install the system on a different box, update to a newer kernel and swap the drive over - Linux doesn't usually mind that as much as Windows does, provided you don't have any exotic differences like RAID arrays etc.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

I actually tried with a newly made bootable USB stick, with version 16.04,18.04 and 20.04. what happened: it always goes into checking mode, whether i skip it or not, it will then enter the ubuntu icon screen and just freeze for a while before eventually goes into black screen.
    Guessing either your motherboard or something might have some awkward USB problem if having issues on multiple images and when booting you can't even escape the checking process, assuming you are using a USB keyboard. So would check again on BIOS updates or playing around with USB settings from UEFI/BIOS.

Leave a comment:

• edmondztt
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

ACPI errors shouldn't be causing an EXT4 file-system issue at boot. Those ACPI errors can likely be ignored. Did you try rewriting your media or using a different USB drive or something? Or updating BIOS?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Dear Michael,

I'm new to the AMD threadripper processors and didn't think of the potential problems with ubuntu. Right now I've built a new machine with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core CPU on a MSI TRX40 PRO WiFi Motherboard. However, I was not able to boot ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 or 20.04 on it. typical errors are like this one (16.04):

I wonder if there is any workaround available to use ubuntu there? Thank you so much!
    ACPI errors shouldn't be causing an EXT4 file-system issue at boot. Those ACPI errors can likely be ignored. Did you try rewriting your media or using a different USB drive or something? Or updating BIOS?

Leave a comment:

• edmondztt
    replied
    Dear Michael,

I'm new to the AMD threadripper processors and didn't think of the potential problems with ubuntu. Right now I've built a new machine with the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core CPU on a MSI TRX40 PRO WiFi Motherboard. However, I was not able to boot ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 or 20.04 on it. typical errors are like this one (16.04):

I wonder if there is any workaround available to use ubuntu there? Thank you so much!

Leave a comment:

• Iamgron
    replied
    Hi there
    I've been told by a user of Ask Ubuntu that some of you here are having trouble running Zen 2 on newer Distros. I Faced this problem this weekend with my R5 3600 installing ubuntu 19.04.
    Well, trying to install it at least since the installer couldn't even start the first services required to actually start the install and wouldn't even go past the "install/try ubuntu" menu. The said user highlighted the fact that a kernel regression was the reason of those problems but that it was solved on the newest kernels.
    The issue is the kernel that ships with the ISO. In the case of Ubuntu, it is kernel 5.0.

An easy go-around is to install 18.04 LTS? which ships with the older 4.18 which does work with Zen2. After that, upgrade your kernel to the latest version and then run a release upgrade to go back to 19.04. Didn't get it to try it a lot, but so far it works just fine, although I'm not as much of an in-depth user as you guys seem to be.

The full explanation of my story and solution can be found here : askubuntu.com/questions/1174198/ubuntu-ryzen-3000-cpu
    Hopefully this will help some of you here !

Leave a comment:

• lyons75
    replied
    would be nice to see some game benchmarks and more detailed stats

also, if someone theoretically had a weaker gpu but went with a 9 3700x would there be potential gpu bottleneck issues even though the gpu isn't bad?

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
    Another data point: it's inaudible over five 3000 RPM Noctua fans locked to full speed in the BIOS.
    That... uh... sounds like awfully noisy data.

Leave a comment:

• josh_walrath
    replied
    Originally posted by kcmichaelm View Post
    I have a MSI x570 Prestige Creation and this fan noise is not an issue. I do run fulltime with NVMe.

Though you don't need NVMe to test it, at least on MSI. I can go into BIOS and tell all the fans to run full-speed and listen to them. With the cover off the case, yes the fan is audible. If you replace the cover, it is not. Just adding one data point.
    Another data point: it's inaudible over five 3000 RPM Noctua fans locked to full speed in the BIOS.

Leave a comment:

• kcmichaelm
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    ...and then you add a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive and suddenly that little fan wakes up!

Check reviews where people have actually stressed it, rather than assuming you'll always be able to keep it in low-noise mode.
    I have a MSI x570 Prestige Creation and this fan noise is not an issue. I do run fulltime with NVMe.

Though you don't need NVMe to test it, at least on MSI. I can go into BIOS and tell all the fans to run full-speed and listen to them. With the cover off the case, yes the fan is audible. If you replace the cover, it is not. Just adding one data point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X