China Is Launching A New Alternative To Google Summer of Code, Outreachy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clementhk
    If you actually have followed the latest Open Source news you could obviously see how big China is involved, almost 1/3 of the linux kernel patches involve a Chinese person
    If you actually have followed the latest politics news, you could obviously see how China banned the vast majority of western websites including github. Chinese programmers who actually living in China and doing open source stuffs on github are literally breaking the law and the government can arrest them anytime they want to.

Those "Chinese" people you mentioned are mostly not living in China, and most of them have a non-Chinese nationality so they can contribute to the open source world without politics issues.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      I don't see anything about this that could be criticized after looking over the student guide. Seems like a pretty good program.
      Did you miss the part about being CCP-sponsored?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Did you miss the part about being CCP-sponsored?
        No, but I see you found something to criticize about it. It isn't like they are making you join the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

It's FUD because they never happened, period.

You want to know who made up the bulk of deaths in Tiananmen? Unarmed PLA soldiers, attacked and killed by student militants. One of the student leaders in the protests even went as far as to claim that none of the students were actually harmed by the PLA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtopY3pcZs

Another student leader (now living in New Zealand) in the protests making the same point: https://youtu.be/VSR9zgY1QgU

And clearly, China must suck so badly at genocide, because there is no refugee crisis in Xinjiang. Religious persecution? Sure, they suck so bad at it that Xinjiang alone has more mosques than the entire fucking Middle East.
          And this is why you have to live it to realize why the CCP consider information(in any form) a military priority and how they manage to turn everything into reasonable doubt for them and their allies manipulating information and rearranging facts. I have to admit they are miles ahead of everyone else here

Maybe you are right but i've seen so much of their work that i hardly believe anything related to them or their allies you can easily find on the Internet to be honest.

Not trying to antagonize here but i've seen so much with my own eyes and then see how suddenly every fact get changed little by little into the complete opposite and people actually believe it (at least to some degree) because it was on Wikipedia or YouTube or CNN, etc. time and time again that i've become extremely distrustful these days unless i can confirm stuff from actual people that witnessed the facts(when is possible of course )

Comment

This thread in one image

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post If this happened in my country then I will take leave from work to be out in the streets protesting it.
              YOUR country name?

Comment

Originally posted by gigi View Post

YOUR country name?
                Click the user's name; read location.

I wondered the same thing

Comment

Chinese open source projects like vue.js are getting popular, why do you still linger on the the negativity while there are a lot of good to see? China has LONG LONG being part of the open source world.
                  Wait, so how is Vue a “Chinese open-source project”? Because the guy who started it is Chinese? He didn’t do it in China, or with the support of the Chinese government. I guess the Linux kernel is a Finnish open-source software project then?

Imagine a world where you only get news about US killing blacks, robbery, gun violent, etc, and never about anything good about them.
                  I don’t have to imagine it, that’s reality right now. When was the last time you saw a positive story about the US?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    ... i've seen so much with my own eyes and then see how suddenly every fact get changed little by little into the complete opposite and people actually believe it (at least to some degree) because it was on Wikipedia or YouTube or CNN, etc. time and time again that i've become extremely distrustful these days unless i can confirm stuff from actual people that witnessed the facts(when is possible of course )
                    I don't think anyone in the 90s would have predicted that the internet era would end up being as much of an informational dead spot as it is turning out to be. We're headed towards a scenario where children show their grandparents history books about this century, and the grandparents have to explain that none of it is true because the researchers used the internet as a source.

Comment

People just want to believe what they believe, aren't they?

No matter what the Chinese people and those who have lived in China say for China, those who have never set foot on the land of China, or even have no idea where China is, always swear to say something that has never happened. It's like they are the people who have been living in China.

China has never banned entry, and buying a ticket to China seems inexpensive. Buy a ticket and go to Xinjiang to find out if there is so-called "genocide".

In the past 50 years, the number of Muslims in Xinjiang has increased from less than 4 million to 15.8608 million. Maybe the English word "genocide" has a different meaning?

Comment

Working...
                      X