Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    they can rely on previous gcc version to be portable
    Yeah, but one can imagine a bug (or attack) in one GCC version that infects all subsequently-built versions. If you have no feasible way of bootstrapping, that's a problem. For one thing, you can't easily prove that such an attack doesn't exist, unless GCC is compilable by something other than an earlier version of GCC.

Comment

it's advisable to forbid constant size c arrays
      Unless you mean for writing (i.e. arrays of non-const elements), then why?

I'll occasionally even use stack-based arrays for writing, but I only do it when it's performance-critical code and I can prove that an out-of-bounds access can't occur.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        A glass 1/100th empty (99/100 full);
        https://forge.rust-lang.org/release/...m-support.html
        IMO, there's a lot to be said for having multiple, independent implementations of a language. I'll be a lot more interested in Rust, when:
        1. It's fully-supported by multiple compilers.
        2. It's standardized.

Comment

not via this unique_ptr
          Yes, via that unique_ptr.

Example 1:
          Code:
              std::unique_ptr< int > p( new int( 42 ) );
              p.release();
              std::cout << "p = " << (*p) << "\n";
          Output:
          Segmentation fault (core dumped)
          Boom!

Example 2:
          Code:
              std::unique_ptr< int > p( new int( 42 ) );
              std::unique_ptr< int > q = std::move( p );
              std::cout << "q = " << (*q) << "\n";
              std::cout << "p = " << (*p) << "\n";
          Output:
          q = 42
          Segmentation fault (core dumped)
          Boom!

While these are obviously contrived examples, it shouldn't be hard to see how this can occur in a larger body of code, perhaps involving more functions, where such usage violations could go unnoticed.

I'm not arguing that std::unique_ptr<> is bad. Quite the contrary - I appreciate its enhancements over boost::scoped_ptr<> - including the addition of release(). I'm just pointing out that it's not fool-proof.

only if you are using obsolete standard. c++17 brings https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/la...ment_deduction so you can write
          Code:
          [COLOR=#000000]std::array vals { [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]3[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] };[/COLOR]
          you see, now i can argue that c array forces you to redundantly specify int as its element type
          Yeah, I'm not bleeding edge.

Point taken, however AsuMagic not only beat you to it, but also made a reasonable counter-point (for compound types).

Comment

Good point.

I was assuming he wanted to iterate for some other reason, and also occasionally delete. I guess you can still do that with erase_if(), and just use a predicate that has whatever side-effect you're also looking to accomplish by iterating.

Comment

is microsoft big enough company for you?
              I think carewolf was talking about the typical big enterprise. Sure, you can find outliers - even among larger companies.

most of c++17 works across all compilers that matter
              Enterprise distros are a few revs behind, on those compilers.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                What if I really have to pass a pointer to some C function?
                (you can't do that with std::array (?))
                Yes, of course people thought of that:

Just take a couple minutes and read through the class: https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/container/array

Comment

...us? Do many people write under your account?
                  No, yet multiple people are reading these posts!

Originally, I asked you to tell "us", meaning to post in the thread the results of any experiments you try. Consistent with that, I was thanking you for doing so.

The reason I didn't simply ask you to tell "me" what you found is that I thought it would seem more like a request to direct-message me. I didn't want to encourage that, since I thought there might be others also interested in your results.

I know but I would prefer not to do so.
                  Sure, nobody is making you use such tools, but they're provided for good reasons. It's worth understanding them and what they can do to mitigate verbosity of your code, since that hurts readability and ultimately reduces code quality.

One tip I'd share: when using deeply-nested names, I'll frequently use the using keyword at some local scope. Perhaps this is a more palatable compromise?

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    Lisp has been around since like the 40s lol.
                    Yeah, we get that it's old. No need to exaggerate, though.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                      in my 30 years of C++ experience I have never seen any bugs caused by arrays decaying to pointers, arrays are rarely something you pass around with ownership, so how they decay if you did is irrelevant for me, though I guess std::array is technically superior
                      Heh, I'll fess up.

sizeof() obviously behaves differently, depending on whether it's used on an array or pointer. An easy way to iterate over an array is to compute the end "iterator" by adding the length, which you can compute by dividing the size of the array by the size of an element (yay, macros!). So, if you have this construct in the scope of an array, and then you move it into a function where the same array is now passed in as a pointer... you've got a bug!

In fairness, this was before I knew about boost::array<> (and well before 2011). Since then, I've converted to using boost::array<> and now std::array<>. And I make sure not to pass around bare pointers to its data, except to things like (mostly C) library functions I don't control.

Comment

Working...
                      X