GCC Developers Look At Transitioning Their Codebase To C++11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I only use C arrays for fixed-size ones or when I really desire speed.
    c arrays decay to pointers. it's advisable to forbid constant size c arrays
    ...modules? Is this a replacement to libraries, or something like Java packages?
    replacement to headers(preprocessor text inclusion)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      [Rust] isn't portable, it's llvm only. and that is c++14 already btw
      A glass 1/100th empty (99/100 full);
      https://forge.rust-lang.org/release/...m-support.html

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        That is what all big companies use. Proven industry standards that work across all compilers so they are not tied to specific crap.
        is microsoft big enough company for you? most of c++17 works across all compilers that matter

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          A glass 1/100th empty (99/100 full);
          you missed the part where they are concerned with c++14 portability and you have c++14 when you have rust

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            C++20 isn't the latest and greatest. It is still future tech, since the none of big features are yet implemented in a non-experimental way by any compiler.
            it's future tech because it was not ratified yet

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Okay, so you mean manual deallocations. You can still use-after-free, with std::unique_ptr<>,
              not via this unique_ptr
              If I'm using an initializer list, then std::array<> forces me to redundantly specify the length as a template parameter.
              Code:
              int vals[] = { 1, 2, 3 };
              only if you are using obsolete standard. c++17 brings https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/la...ment_deduction so you can write
              Code:
              [COLOR=#000000]std::array vals { [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]2[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000], [/COLOR][COLOR=#09885a]3[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] };[/COLOR]
              you see, now i can argue that c array forces you to redundantly specify int as its element type

Comment

Anyway, if you might need to erase, I think your best options are:
                • use iterators
                • iterate by index (if randomly-accessible container)
                i'd start with https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/ex...ector/erase_if

Comment

Heh, you'll never be truly rid of macros. Just try writing assert() without using macros, to give one use case.
                  just wait for contracts in c++23 (i feel pity for people who get them only in 2028. i feel pity we aren't going to get them in c++20)
                  Last edited by pal666; 01 October 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    As a Lisp user, my mind boggles at how you C++ programmers survived without lambda expressions.
                    as a c++ user my mind boggles at how you scheme programmers survived without static typing
                    For people who are curious, they are just unnamed procedures that evaluate to a value. (aka function expressions)
                    in c++ they are certainly not procedures. they are unnamed class objects with overloaded operator() (functors)
                    JavaScript also has a really fantastic syntax for them.
                    Code:
                    const square = (x) => x * x
                    c++ had proposal with similar syntax, it was rejected due to technical issues. you see, c++ committee has to design sane language, unlike javascript. but maybe someone comes with improved proposal in fufure
                    What do you mean? That book was fantastic! There is a similar tome for Java (I think it’s just called Effective Java) that is equally good, but reminds me precisely why I’d rather use Clojure than Java.
                    all cool kids are already switched to kotlin

Comment

So there is no way to do it using the easily-readable syntax? Oh....
                      there is a way to pass your loop body as predicate to erase_if()
                      Because I use clock_gettime since I think it takes less time to execute.
                      chrono also uses clock_gettime https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/bl.../chrono.cc#L88

Comment

Working...
                      X