GCC Developers Look At Transitioning Their Codebase To C++11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Really? I figure std::chrono::system_clock::now() should be just a thin wrapper around it:

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/ch...stem_clock/now

If you can quantify any significant overhead, do let us know.
    Wow! Actually std::chrono::system_clock::now() was faster than my wrapper: (curTime being it)

Code:
    ~/projects/coder/build$ ./codertest  
    clock_gettime: 0.312027334s
    curTime: 0.342635608s
    std::chrono::system_clock::now(): 0.334109103s
    -wait... That's only when unoptimized Doing -O2 results in:

Code:
    clock_gettime: 0.311301748s
    curTime: 0.331342714s
    std::chrono::system_clock::now(): 0.333109638s
    Insignificant though...
    Code:
    phx::reply::post post << phx::reply::post::contents::hate_rationale(std::string("I dislike the namespacing syntax... (::)"));

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      -wait... That's only when unoptimized Doing -O2 results in:

Code:
      clock_gettime: 0.311301748s
      curTime: 0.331342714s
      std::chrono::system_clock::now(): 0.333109638s
      Cool. Thanks for letting us know.

Insignificant though...
      Code:
      phx::reply::post post << phx::reply::post::contents::hate_rationale(std::string("I dislike the namespacing syntax... (::)"));
      Well, you can mitigate that using namespace aliases, the using keyword, typedefs, etc.

Furthermore, you can put your own symbols with private visibility in an anonymous namespace.

Comment

Okay, so you mean manual deallocations. You can still use-after-free, with std::unique_ptr<>, but it's certainly a lot less likely.

We're not yet at the point of a true garbage-collected language, but I don't want that. If I want true garbage collection, I'll use something other than C++.
        Yeah, that's what I meant.

Well... C++03 has initializer lists - just not if your struct/class has a constructor.
        Right, I did not know.

Regarding the requirement of a space between template parameter brackets (i.e. "> >"), that's just silly. After the first time tripping over it, you just learn to put an extra pair of spaces inside your <>'s. Problem solved. It's not ideal, but I don't think it rises to the level of the rest of the items in your list.
        Yeah, of course. It's just one of the absurd things of C++03 that were corrected in C++11.

I don't get your point about parent constructors - of course you can call constructors of your baseclasses! What C++11 adds is the ability for derived classes to forward baseclass constructors, or for constructors to explicitly call sibling constructors of the same type.
        My bad, I thought it mattered for classes you inherit from too.

If I'm using an initializer list, then std::array<> forces me to redundantly specify the length as a template parameter.
        Fair enough. In C++17 you can rely on std::array's template deduction guides. While that works for say
        Code:
        std::array a{1, 2, 3};
        It's more of a pain for say a Vector2 class where you would have to do
        Code:
        std::array a{Vector2<float>{1, 2}, Vector2<float>{3, 4}, Vector2<float>{5, 6}};
        instead of
        Code:
        std::array<Vector2<float>, 3>{{1, 2}, {3, 4}, {5, 6}};
        There is no way to use deduction guides only partially, right?

Heh, you'll never be truly rid of macros. Just try writing assert() without using macros, to give one use case.
        IKR. I did not mean that they allow getting rid of all macros, just that you can get rid of the #define SOME_CONSTANT 1234 abomination. Even though there's not much justification behind it compared to `const int something`, granted.

Comment

I generally wait ~5 years after a new C++ version before adopting it.
          you are 5 years late

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Doesn't matter that much for the subset GCC uses, and they need to rely on pretty old versions to be portable.
            the whole point is to use better subset. and they can rely on previous gcc version to be portable

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Mainly because these language over-consumers then just sit there blaming their tools if they ever have to port the codebase to a slightly more exotic platform with an older standard compiler.
              what if exotic platform doesn't have c++ compiler at all? fix your compiler
              Last edited by pal666; 01 October 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOnlyJoey View Post
                I personally really dislike 'modern' c++ variations (Program in C++03 as much as i can when deciding to use C++ over C99), and it is sad to see software i use on a daily base are adopting lazyness over function.
                Well time to fork i guess.
                it seems every phoronix thread has to have some imbecile who knows language better that it's compiler devs. forks made by imbeciles are not viable

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  rust
                  isn't portable, it's llvm only. and that is c++14 already btw

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                    I have no idea for most of them, but I am pretty sure that Microsoft tend to keep up with standards quite well
                    you are pretty wrong. msvc is the worst one. and it has improved recently, some years ago it was like separate language when every crossplatform codebase had to support non-standard prehistoric msvc
                    and for lulz msvc is still not fully c++98 (though they are getting close)
                    (AFAIK, they are already using modules in production
                    that's enterprise. they sell it asap even if it still has rough edges
                    from what I know - the module proposal is partly designed by them).
                    modules are jointly designed by all big 3 compiler devs

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      on my RHEL 6
                      current rhel is 8. gcc in current devtoolset is 8.3.1 https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2...prise-linux-7/

Comment

Working...
                      X