No announcement yet.

Dell Rolls Out New XPS 13 Laptop For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't comment on this new model but my 9360 is by far the nicest laptop I've ever owned. And it's Linux support imo is perfect. I have had zero issues. I'd recommend the XPS line to anyone

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      After my experience with the Thinkpad, I an never buy something else than enterprise laptops.
      This. And if someone can't afford to buy new there are huge stockpiles of used enterprise laptops that while a few years older will still mop the floor with anything new in their price range (maybe with a new battery, anyway)

Comment

The UK site is already selling the ubuntu variety. Does anyone know if they will start selling them with 18.04 once that's available? Or otherwise if I can upgrade them easily myself?

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
          Still waiting for 17" Full HD laptop with AMD Ryzen.
          Something like this ? Ryzen 1700, RX580, full HD IPS display with Freesync...

If you're interested in a laptop that won't break the bank for you and can handle complex multi-core loads like very few other notebooks available as of

https://hothardware.com/news/asus-ro...-radeon-rx-580

I'm having no luck finding one in Canada though... might have to drive to Buffalo one weekend.
          Last edited by bridgman; 04 January 2018, 08:38 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            This. And if someone can't afford to buy new there are huge stockpiles of used enterprise laptops that while a few years older will still mop the floor with anything new in their price range (maybe with a new battery, anyway)
            That was what I did. Mine was 2 years old when I bought it for about 1/3 of the price of a new one. The weak side of Thinkpads, at last in recent years, is the weak displays. You can always upgrade a bit for a better spec one, but they always are bellow the competitors.

The best website for comparing laptops for me is Notebookcheck.net. They do very thoughtful reviews and is easy to find if the items important to you are present on the models they test.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Agreed... I would much rather see a laptop with less focus on thin-ness, and use the space for (a) a high quality keyboard, mechanical if necessary, (b) about 2x the battery complement we normally see (something like 8x modern 18650), (c) enough of a cooling solution to let the parts run at full speed for at least a short while without being power/thermal throttled.
              And remember: thickness is not equal to heaviness. We can have a thicker laptop that is light, using the same methods of the thin ones, but with better thermal characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
                Agreed about the keyboard- most laptops keyboards are utter rubbish. And I wish there were laptops with 16:10 aspect ratio screens. I can still dream...

Macbook is 16/10. And Surface Book is 3/2.

Comment

If you're interested in a laptop that won't break the bank for you and can handle complex multi-core loads like very few other notebooks available as of

I'm having no luck finding one in Canada though... might have to drive to Buffalo one weekend.
                  Forgot to mention I want it to be portable.

Comment

Hi,

Just a note- be careful with the keyboard layout on Asus ROG laptops. They have Power Off key where the "end" key should be- check upper right corner of the keyboard, in the grouping of Home-PageUp-PageDown-POWER OFF. And there is no END key at all (at least not without Fn key).

If you are used to hitting home/end keys while coding, you'll be switching off your laptop a lot

This layout immediately made me stop considering getting one of those.

This is one lousy quality image of the keyboard layout:

I was unable to find better pics for this particular model, but there's many pics for other models of Asus ROG laptops.

--Coder

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/1768...702zc-reviews/

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

This is a thing that do not compute for me. They are always trying hard to make things thinner to please marketing people, when consumers would prefer bigger batteries. And when you do get bigger batteries, they always are on low to medium range devices.

I have a "ultrathin" Samsung NP535 and a Thinkpad T430. The thin one is actually worse to carry on bare hands, since it is slippery and you need to close more your hand and aplly some force to hold it, while the Thinkpad can be carried more naturally despite being 500g heavier. The Samsung have the looks, but the Thinkpad is the real working machine, not a fashion statement like the Samsung.

After my experience with the Thinkpad, I an never buy something else than enterprise laptops.
                      I would argue for a lesser battery so that the laptop gets lighter! But get me right, this would be done by sacrificing performance and not with a Core-M either. Have a quad core Atom and an IPS display, even with 8GB/256GB configuration.
                      Gives you fanless operation and a tiny cheaper more reliable PSU.

I woud want VGA out anyway (plus displayport) so here goes the minimum thickness. Keyboard easily removable because it's the first or only thing to break.
                      I second the wish for 16:10 but also because there's 1440x900, on macbookair. That's still usable with no scaling. Or give me high quality 1366x768 if that exists at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X