Dell Rolls Out New XPS 13 Laptop For 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    All Apple laptops have at least 8GB of RAM including MBA. If you want to be a good hater, you should target more accurately
    Tangential, my point is that Apple consumers would still buy Apple laptops at 4GB of RAM. It's not like they really need 8GB anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Apple consumers will, but Dell isn't Apple.

Same. They're working hard on keeping endurance total shit.
      With just a cm more (around 1/4 of an inch) the damn battery would have lasted days.
      This is a thing that do not compute for me. They are always trying hard to make things thinner to please marketing people, when consumers would prefer bigger batteries. And when you do get bigger batteries, they always are on low to medium range devices.

I have a "ultrathin" Samsung NP535 and a Thinkpad T430. The thin one is actually worse to carry on bare hands, since it is slippery and you need to close more your hand and aplly some force to hold it, while the Thinkpad can be carried more naturally despite being 500g heavier. The Samsung have the looks, but the Thinkpad is the real working machine, not a fashion statement like the Samsung.

After my experience with the Thinkpad, I an never buy something else than enterprise laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        1 Why bother? Even if it had 8 GB, people like you would still complain.
        2 Why bother? Even if it had a bigger battery, people like you would still complain.
        "haters gonna hate" is still not a valid reason to not have 8GB like most (also Apple laptops), or have a bigger battery instead of being so thin.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          "haters gonna hate" is still not a valid reason to not have 8GB like most (also Apple laptops), or have a bigger battery instead of being so thin.
          I was just poking the hater.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

This is a thing that do not compute for me. They are always trying hard to make things thinner to please marketing people, when consumers would prefer bigger batteries. And when you do get bigger batteries, they always are on low to medium range devices.
            Don't assume the gender of the end user

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              I was just poking the hater.
              Just because you criticize something doesn't mean you are a hater. It still seems like a great laptop, but I'm am annoyed by the laptop trend to make everything thinner than necessary. The small bezels and great battery life and having a clean look while still having pretty good performance is what makes the XPS lineup one of the best in my opinion, I'm just sad that the series is taking a turn towards the Macbook and Asus Zenbook 3 which are beautiful but have too many flaws to be practical unless the only thing you do is surf the web. It's not that bad yet, but the battery life on the 4K option is not that great.

TL;DR: The formfactor was already great on this laptop, I wish they prioritized battery life instead. I don't really care about that there's an 4GB model available, I just think that it's an odd decision. You are the one who interpreted it as "hate".

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Agreed... I would much rather see a laptop with less focus on thin-ness, and use the space for (a) a high quality keyboard, mechanical if necessary, (b) about 2x the battery complement we normally see (something like 8x modern 18650), (c) enough of a cooling solution to let the parts run at full speed for at least a short while without being power/thermal throttled.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Just because you criticize something doesn't mean you are a hater. It still seems like a great laptop, but I'm am annoyed by the laptop trend to make everything thinner than necessary. The small bezels and great battery life and having a clean look while still having pretty good performance is what makes the XPS lineup one of the best in my opinion, I'm just sad that the series is taking a turn towards the Macbook and Asus Zenbook 3 which are beautiful but have too many flaws to be practical unless the only thing you do is surf the web. It's not that bad yet, but the battery life on the 4K option is not that great.

TL;DR: The formfactor was already great on this laptop, I wish they prioritized battery life instead. I don't really care about that there's an 4GB model available, I just think that it's an odd decision. You are the one who interpreted it as "hate".
                  In current world you are a hater if you have an opinion other than "great". You must be just be a yes-man.

Comment

Agreed about the keyboard- most laptops keyboards are utter rubbish. And I wish there were laptops with 16:10 aspect ratio screens. I can still dream...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Agreed... I would much rather see a laptop with less focus on thin-ness, and use the space for (a) a high quality keyboard, mechanical if necessary, (b) about 2x the battery complement we normally see (something like 8x modern 18650), (c) enough of a cooling solution to let the parts run at full speed for at least a short while without being power/thermal throttled.

Comment

Still waiting for 17" Full HD laptop with AMD Ryzen.

Comment

Working...
                      X