No announcement yet.

Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great! They fucked up twice with the Windows port, so it makes perfect sense to throw in the towel. Why put other gamers through misery with a crappy release? Finally some common sense from WB. Imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      I'm pretty sure that radeonsi can't hang the computer all by itself.

Does the computer completely hang, or only the graphics? Does it still react to Magic SysRq, ping, ssh?
      Update: I can ssh to the machine. The CPU usage of the game (not a Batman game) is close to zero. It is happening when switching rendering settings in the game.

Comment

If you can ssh into the machine, you can gather X and kernel logs and use them in a bug report. Also you can try to restart X to see if that makes the computer usable agein.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
          Oh, so I'm now somehow OBLIGATED to hold off my buying until the Linux port is actually out and should avoid trying to support developers? Sorry to break it to you bud, but I'm not obligated to do anything to supposedly support gaming on Linux. You're free to do this yourself, but don't for one second imagine that everyone else feels the same kind of obligation to do the same.

Mind you, I made the purchase when people still thought that the PC version was being done in-house at Rocksteady and that the Mac and Linux ports were going to be the same kind of affair as the Mac ports of the two previous games.
          Sure, don't support Linux gaming, go back to windows. I mean, you are absolutely free of trouble of getting games done badly.
          You may as well donate money to big AAA publishers, since they don't make money off the complete bug free products that you get.
          At the end of day, your "preorders" of windows games HURT game porters => hurt linux gaming ecosystem. Good guys at Aspire and, can't remember their name, don't get a penny for your 50% off preorder. Then shitty studios look at windows sales, see your sale, and DON'T see your Linux sale, because it never took place, and say later: "why bother porting to Linux if there is less than 1% of gamer's base?". So in conclusion, you are free to do what you want, it's not illegal to be an asshole.
          Flash News: Majority of people familiar with problem described here - are feeling same way. I just made you aware of it. How you act from now on - up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            Sure, don't support Linux gaming, go back to windows. I mean, you are absolutely free of trouble of getting games done badly.
            You may as well donate money to big AAA publishers, since they don't make money off the complete bug free products that you get.
            At the end of day, your "preorders" of windows games HURT game porters => hurt linux gaming ecosystem. Good guys at Aspire and, can't remember their name, don't get a penny for your 50% off preorder. Then shitty studios look at windows sales, see your sale, and DON'T see your Linux sale, because it never took place, and say later: "why bother porting to Linux if there is less than 1% of gamer's base?". So in conclusion, you are free to do what you want, it's not illegal to be an asshole.
            Flash News: Majority of people familiar with problem described here - are feeling same way. I just made you aware of it. How you act from now on - up to you.
            How does me buying CD keys off key selling sites for games that have promised Linux ports somehow HURT Linux gaming? How do companies even see for what OS a PC pre-order actually is? Try to remember that Batman: Arkham Knight is so far the only big name game that's been announced for Linux and then had the port cancelled so don't even try to make this into some kind of trend. Or is anything where you're not showing money down the pockets of companies like Feral and Aspyr by buying games off their own websites somehow "hurting" gaming on Linux?

Try to remember, we don't know how exactly porting companies like Aspyr and Feral are even paid. We don't know if it's a lump sum or if it's a the percentage of people on Linux playing after the Linux release multiplied by the number of sold copies around the Linux release. After all, you don't have separate Windows, Linux and OSX versions of a game, you have the game and then depending on what OS you're using you can download the version you want.

So don't even try to get on some kind of imaginary high horse...

Comment

Try to remember, we don't know how exactly porting companies like Aspyr and Feral are even paid. We don't know if it's a lump sum or if it's a the percentage of people on Linux playing after the Linux release multiplied by the number of sold copies around the Linux release. After all, you don't have separate Windows, Linux and OSX versions of a game, you have the game and then depending on what OS you're using you can download the version you want.

So don't even try to get on some kind of imaginary high horse...
              You are wrong, we do know that.
              Humble indie bundle, keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
              GOG keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
              Steam keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
              Older games that destributed by CD - are of no relevance.

Aspyre and Feral are paid ONLY for copy sold on Linux(over steam or their page). SO if you have bought Widnwos games on 75% discount before there was a Linux release - THEY WON'T GET A PENNY!
              Majority of their sales is over Steam anyway.
              Learn stuff before starting war with people who did a research.

Comment

You are wrong, we do know that.
                Humble indie bundle, keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
                GOG keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
                Steam keeps stats, on which platform game was bought.
                Older games that destributed by CD - are of no relevance.

Aspyre and Feral are paid ONLY for copy sold on Linux(over steam or their page). SO if you have bought Widnwos games on 75% discount before there was a Linux release - THEY WON'T GET A PENNY!
                Majority of their sales is over Steam anyway.
                Learn stuff before starting war with people who did a research.
                How the hell do you think companies get data on which platform a game has been sold when there are no separate versions being sold? Have you ever been Steam, GoG or the Humble Bundle store?

The only way they can figure out which platform the game has been sold on is trough data on what versions of the game people actually download and play on. They don't know where the people downloading the games got their games from, all they know is for what platforms people are downloading the games and playing them. From their perspective there's literally no difference whatsoever between when a game is purchased directly from Steam at full price or a key seller for much less. All they see is someone with a copy of the game on their account downloading and then playing it.

Comment

How the hell do you think companies get data on which platform a game has been sold when there are no separate versions being sold? Have you ever been Steam, GoG or the Humble Bundle store?

The only way they can figure out which platform the game has been sold on is trough data on what versions of the game people actually download and play on. They don't know where the people downloading the games got their games from, all they know is for what platforms people are downloading the games and playing them. From their perspective there's literally no difference whatsoever between when a game is purchased directly from Steam at full price or a key seller for much less. All they see is someone with a copy of the game on their account downloading and then playing it.
                  Go read online. This information is available, google it. If you are too lazy to do that - not my problem. NO ONE IS COUNTING YOUR DOWNLOADS, if game is not Linux released, it will be count as WINDOWS purchase, this is 100% information for steam. Similar, not exactly same rules, apply for GOG and Humble Bundle.

Comment

Go read online. This information is available, google it. If you are too lazy to do that - not my problem. NO ONE IS COUNTING YOUR DOWNLOADS, if game is not Linux released, it will be count as WINDOWS purchase, this is 100% information for steam. Similar, not exactly same rules, apply for GOG and Humble Bundle.
                    Sorry, but this is not how arguments work. You ether provide the evidence for your claim yourself or then you just admit defeat. Telling someone else to go find evidence to back up your point is essentially just admitting that you can't prove your point.

A sale on a platform like Steam is just a sale with no platform info attached as there are no separate versions of a game being sold. If you buy the game, you get access to all of the available versions and the only way to determine what version you're actually using is to look at what version you actually downloaded.

Comment

Sorry, but this is not how arguments work. You ether provide the evidence for your claim yourself or then you just admit defeat. Telling someone else to go find evidence to back up your point is essentially just admitting that you can't prove your point.

A sale on a platform like Steam is just a sale with no platform info attached as there are no separate versions of a game being sold. If you buy the game, you get access to all of the available versions and the only way to determine what version you're actually using is to look at what version you actually downloaded.
                      You made claim first, without having evidence. I refuted it. It's up to you make a proof, and you wont be able to. proofof my theory: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+steam+counts+linux+sales.

Comment

Working...
                      X