Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Actually no, I pre-bought the game BEFORE the Windows version came out and when the embargo on the state of the Windows version was still in place. Hell, this was months before they announced the Linux and Mac versions were going to be delayed until spring.
    And what exactly made you believe this sale would count towards Linux gaming?
    Every major Linux gaming site SHOUTS people not to pre buy games, for exactly THIS reason. Do you live under rock?
    On the brighter side, ask Steam for a refund, they may not do refund, but they could also do it, who knows. They are not as bad as many think.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

... I am looking forward to playing Metro 2033 Redux again after 2-3 years from today. The 2018-2019 hardware, and most importantly the Linux drivers, will be better suited for playing the game.
      If you plan on playing it with AMD hardware I wouldn't put my hopes up, but if you're not a moron and play games on Nvidia it plays just fine today.
      Metro 2033 Redux is playable on radeonsi already since mid 2015.

What do you expect will get worse with 2018-2019 hardware and drivers that makes you not hopeful?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        Game is very playable on inexpensive 2-3 years of age hardware( AMD Vishera CPU + 32 gig ram 1600, GeForce 780TI Caviar Green 3tb hdd) OK Video card is sorta expensive, but game DOES look very good.
        You are right. My message was lacking information. I was primarily referring to AMD drivers and cards. The following points summarize some of my issues and observations:
        • Playing the game with maxed detail settings @20FPS burns 280 watts of electricity on my desktop computer. I suppose that with 2018-2019 drivers and/or hardware I would be able to cap the power consumption (such as: aticonfig --odsc=xxx,xxx) to less than 200 watts while playing the game on max settings @30FPS.
        • Mesa radeonsi drivers for R9 390 hang my computer during game play, so I am using Catalyst drivers for now.
        • Metro Redux games have nice story and graphics, so they will still be worth playing 2-3 years from now on AMD hardware when the drivers are in better shape.
        • In case of some people, when there is a Metro Redux sale on steampowered.com they will buy the game even though they don't expect the game to be nicely playable on the current-generation hardware.
        • It is worth mentioning that, due to development in general, older games have different game mechanics and controls from current games. Not understanding this makes some people not being able to play older games.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Metro 2033 Redux is playable on radeonsi already since mid 2015.

What do you expect will get worse with 2018-2019 hardware and drivers that makes you not hopeful?
          In 2018-2019, I expect radeonsi not to hang my computer while playing Metro Redux. So it will (might) be better than 2015-2016.

Comment

Thankyou very much for there sympathy buddy.
            also sorry i made mistake that you bought game over steam, when you didn't. Shit to be you buddy.
            either way, don't buy games if they have not been released on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
              And what exactly made you believe this sale would count towards Linux gaming?
              Every major Linux gaming site SHOUTS people not to pre buy games, for exactly THIS reason. Do you live under rock?
              On the brighter side, ask Steam for a refund, they may not do refund, but they could also do it, who knows. They are not as bad as many think.
              Oh, so I'm now somehow OBLIGATED to hold off my buying until the Linux port is actually out and should avoid trying to support developers? Sorry to break it to you bud, but I'm not obligated to do anything to supposedly support gaming on Linux. You're free to do this yourself, but don't for one second imagine that everyone else feels the same kind of obligation to do the same.

Mind you, I made the purchase when people still thought that the PC version was being done in-house at Rocksteady and that the Mac and Linux ports were going to be the same kind of affair as the Mac ports of the two previous games.

Comment

Oh, so I'm now somehow OBLIGATED to hold off my buying until the Linux port is actually out and should avoid trying to support developers?
                You're free to do whatever you want, but in this case you've not only supported developers that don't care about Linux, you've apparently supported developers that can't code for Windows either.

Guys am I the only one who remembers a time when developers would come up with a title, people started to play it and if it was any good more people would hear about it and buy it as a consequence? That's how you support developers, preordering only supports marketing campaigns and hit-and-run tactics (i.e. release whatever you have, fix as few glaring issues as you can get away with).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  You're free to do whatever you want, but in this case you've not only supported developers that don't care about Linux, you've apparently supported developers that can't code for Windows either.

Guys am I the only one who remembers a time when developers would come up with a title, people started to play it and if it was any good more people would hear about it and buy it as a consequence? That's how you support developers, preordering only supports marketing campaigns and hit-and-run tactics (i.e. release whatever you have, fix as few glaring issues as you can get away with).
                  This may have been the case in the 1980's when there really wasn't much of a gaming press or easy access to news on games about to come out, but ever since the 1990's big games have had huge media pushes with the sole purpose of getting people to buy games without ether playing them first or waiting for reviews. Ever since then word of mouth has been a boosting effect, not the main driver of sales. There's a reason why reviews are still embargoed until the day or a few days before a game comes out.

Even then we had plenty of games released badly buggy (Black Isle's Fallout games, everything Bethesda has ever made and Troika's Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines immediately spring to mind) and downright hit-n-run (Daikatana, the Legend of Zelda games on the CDi and pretty much everything LJN ever made).

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
                    In 2018-2019, I expect radeonsi not to hang my computer while playing Metro Redux. So it will (might) be better than 2015-2016.
                    I'm pretty sure that radeonsi can't hang the computer all by itself.

Does the computer completely hang, or only the graphics? Does it still react to Magic SysRq, ping, ssh?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that radeonsi can't hang the computer all by itself.

Does the computer completely hang, or only the graphics? Does it still react to Magic SysRq, ping, ssh?
                      I did not investigate it.

I will try ssh if I encounter the problem again.

Comment

Working...
                      X