Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    Seeing how I've already paid for it and can't get a refund because I bought it trough a third party key seller I wouldn't agree. That's basically 30-something euros down the drain unless they get it working under Wine/CrossOver or I install Windows at some point.
    maybe now you learn to not buy before linux release
    and maybe even to not buy from third party resellers
    Last edited by pal666; 03 February 2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
      ... I am looking forward to playing Metro 2033 Redux again after 2-3 years from today. The 2018-2019 hardware, and most importantly the Linux drivers, will be better suited for playing the game.
      If you plan on playing it with AMD hardware I wouldn't put my hopes up, but if you're not a moron and play games on Nvidia it plays just fine today.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Let me get this straight: you looked at the state on the Windows version, factored in how Linux ports never work as good as they do on Windows, and thought "what the hell"?
      You, sir, got exactly what you deserved.
      Actually no, I pre-bought the game BEFORE the Windows version came out and when the embargo on the state of the Windows version was still in place. Hell, this was months before they announced the Linux and Mac versions were going to be delayed until spring.

Originally posted by higuita View Post
      Sorry, but you "deserve" it, because:

INSERT-SELF-RIGHTEOUS-ASSHOLE-RANT-HERE
      Thankyou very much for there sympathy buddy.

Comment

playing in linux only with nvidia non free drivers

Comment

I really hope that 2/3 of all gaming developer companies go bankrupt, we have so much garbage out there, yes there are some good between them, but because the market is so full that nobody developes games done, all we get are halfready games released that never reaches a point of enough users that is a big (multiplayer) thing, like lets say quate3 was or unreal. 1000 games that are made with the same engine so with exactly the same look. then we have games like witcher 3 that get sabotaged so that nobody sees how bad the konsole hardware is when the pc version would look much better.

But I guess that stays a wet dream of me so long I play something like lol and in serveral years dont play/buy any games.

Maybe Vulkan or vr/ar changes here something but I doubt that, garbage game fifa 75 and co, will stay forever.

Comment

If you plan on playing it with AMD hardware I wouldn't put my hopes up, but if you're not a moron and play games on Nvidia it plays just fine today.
            I don't have the Redux, but I have the original Metro Last Light Linux port and it runs fine on radeonsi for me, I'm around halfway through the game. Just hard to find time or motivation to play it.

On topic, how about we get the first two games (Asylum + City) ported, since they already have OSX versions?

Comment

Originally posted by higuita View Post

Sorry, but you "deserve" it, because:

NEVER, EVER BUY GAMES BEFORE THEY HAVE RELEASE THE OFFICIAL LINUX VERSION!!

You are giving the money just to the windows side and the porter company gets none... if they don't get money, they will not port other games in the future. Also shops without official linux support will report all sales as being windows, so again, no money for porters nor they are counted as linux... accounting will then tell that the linux releases don't sell and no future ports are made! Even if you later play in linux, it may be too late, no money will be delivered to the porter company and most of the time publisher don't really care about play statistics after the game release, so they will never see your sale as linux and assume the windows as default.

Steam, GOG and Humble Bundle do count linux sales, most of the other sites don't. If you really want to save money, wait a little for sales, most linux games get on sale on release or on the next steam sale campaign.

Even for games you already had, if you liked then and they are ported to linux, you should buy another copy and gift it to some other linux user, Windows market is huge, until linux gaming gets bigger, we need to make sure that every linux gamer is counted.

So yes, buying before release is a big mistake and it might affect every other linux users.
              I don't know the details of how everything works, and it's certainly safer to follow the recommendations above, but my understanding is that Valve tries to take care of the Linux porters to at least some degree. Such as by checking the percentage of linux players, and trying to apportion that amount of revenue over to them even if the direct linux sales aren't as high. That might depend on the title, though.

Comment

Sorry, but non-game software is much bigger garbage than games, if games would have performance of most of non game software we would be grateful for 1-5 FPS games even on Windows.

Code / manage development of modern games is really tough task and this is why lots of developer failing to do it, because they arent simply good enough.. Multiplaform development makes it even more complex. In Batman case, pc port was outsourced.. and new team wasnt able do it properly.

And you know how game world and money work - Xbox + PlayStation > Windows port > Nintendo port > Mac OS port > Linux port > sorry only Ubuntu 12.04 LTS + Nvidia are officially supported => if it somehow running on yours Arch with newest kernel + AMD open source driver its more than enough in eyes of videogame company boss.
                And i would be probably even worse - with Android ports and more powerful iOS devices, Linux port would be everytime on the end of food chain - if not some Linux miracle happen (someone really rich will hire army of good developers to fix all of major Linux issues).

Comment

Yes the fucking money makes all go shit.

1. we had opengl and glide good apis to make great games that are not all exactly the same and it had less overhead, all windows games that had support for both apis always run 10 times faster (I overdue it maybe a bit if thats not clear I point it out) than the dx version. Then it got even worse, 99% of all game developer startet to use unreal engine 3 so that every fucking single game had exactly the same look and again with mantle we saw how much garbage dx become even worse than in the beginning.

Now we go further nvidia only games, whats next, intel cpu only games? Dell Monitor exclusev support. just go with your fuckin games to Konsoles shit developers of useless single player movie games, I want fun instead something competitive which I play Leage of legends for hundrets of hours I cant stand a AAA game for 1 hour. and they give it for free.

Get the hell outer here, I here always that the games dont even refund it self, how did they do it back 2000 or so quake 3 or wolfenstein 3d, they made even their own opengl engines, but today with maybe 10 times amount of customers its not possible? I guess there are to many players in the market or the publisher give the developer only 1% of the sale-income or the shareholders take to much I dont get it.

people are just lazy like hell I guess, or we have to much people for to less jobs so that we interficialy makind this games to expensive, something is really wrong, maybe because we have capitalism instead of competition, so we have olygopol and corrupt people everywhere, that fuck their customers to get some moneybags from nvidia or stuff like that.

If we would really have competition system and no olygopol/monopols-capitalism there would be good opensource games by now (I dont mean freeware, its easy to sell games that are opensource, because you still kept the copyright of the artwork and without most games are more or less worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I don't know the details of how everything works, and it's certainly safer to follow the recommendations above, but my understanding is that Valve tries to take care of the Linux porters to at least some degree. Such as by checking the percentage of linux players, and trying to apportion that amount of revenue over to them even if the direct linux sales aren't as high.
                    Developers/publishers are given that info. Steam does compute sales revenue by OS (Linux, Mac OSX or Windows).
                    -within 7 days of purchase the OS with the most amount of playtime is awarded the sale
                    -after 7 days if the above cannot be computed (either because you haven't played or you have been using steam in offline mode) then the sale is awarded to the OS on which it was initially purchased

So basically the rule of thumb is always do the purchase transaction from Linux and if you want to play it on windows do so after 1 week.
                    Last edited by humbug; 04 February 2016, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

... I am looking forward to playing Metro 2033 Redux again after 2-3 years from today. The 2018-2019 hardware, and most importantly the Linux drivers, will be better suited for playing the game.

Game is very playable on inexpensive 2-3 years of age hardware( AMD Vishera CPU + 32 gig ram 1600, GeForce 780TI Caviar Green 3tb hdd) OK Video card is sorta expensive, but game DOES look very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X