Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Yea, either way is great, so when do you expect to have a definite annoucement? And, do you think you could see, since we're in the subject of older scummvm-able games, that other classics such as lure of the temptress could be released too?
    Lure of the Temptress is supported by ScummVM, and released as freeware (it has been for a long time), I'm not sure of the exact terms of the license.

Revolution Software has apparently been extremly forthcoming when it comes to releasing their older games as freeware and cooperating with the ScummVM developers.

Comment

Yea, either way is great, so when do you expect to have a definite annoucement? And, do you think you could see, since we're in the subject of older scummvm-able games, that other classics such as lure of the temptress could be released too?
      One can hope...all depends on the rights holders.

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Lure of the Temptress is supported by ScummVM, and released as freeware (it has been for a long time), I'm not sure of the exact terms of the license.

Revolution Software has apparently been extremly forthcoming when it comes to releasing their older games as freeware and cooperating with the ScummVM developers.
        Heh... Guess we need to see what SCUMMVM will do on the Pandora/Beagleboard here then...

Comment

Cool, but does that mean that it cannot be sold, or that theres no sourcec code publicly available? It would seem to me that all the games supported by scummvm are in that situation then, like Beneath a Steel Sky.
          Beneath a Steel Sky is in Debian main, so it's free software and can be sold. As for source code, since it's supported in ScummVM there's source code available. Not necessarily the original code, but I don't really see how that's important except maybe for historical interest.

If I remember correctly, Revolution Software had actually lost the original source code, so it had to be reverse engineered anyway.

Edit: Lure of the Temptress had to be reverse engineered, not BASS, sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by whizse View Post
            Beneath a Steel Sky is in Debian main, so it's free software and can be sold. As for source code, since it's supported in ScummVM there's source code available. Not necessarily the original code, but I don't really see how that's important except maybe for historical interest.

If I remember correctly, Revolution Software had actually lost the original source code, so it had to be reverse engineered anyway.

Edit: Lure of the Temptress had to be reverse engineered, not BASS, sorry for the confusion.
            Damm, lost the source code to Lure of the Tempress? Can't people store their floppy discs is a filing desk or something?? So how did they reverse engineer it? Theres a few games that i'd like to help have them reverse engineered too

Comment

• awefully quiet here lately...

Was reading some of the phoronix old articles, and i found one about the shadowground games being ported to linux. Did that get to materialize?
              Last edited by xav1r; 07 October 2008, 01:29 AM.

Comment

awefully quiet here lately...

Was reading some of the phoronix old articles, and i found one about the shadowground games being ported to linux. Did that get to materialize?
                According to the word on the 'net, it's still in progress. As for the quiet...it's because we've ran out of steam and need to see a few results from all this brainstorming. No biggie there- we've got a lot of great ideas and we should see the results of some of the whole thing shortly (Had to delay a few things because of a bit of urgent personal business but I should be wholly back on track here shortly...)

Comment

• Now that the Area 51 game is completely free, I wonder if it could be a candidate. Published by Midway IIRC.

Comment

• Hey Svartalf:
                    I noticed on your initial list under Looking into you have Alpha Centauri. This game is already ported to linux? I'm confused.

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      Hey Svartalf:
                      I noticed on your initial list under Looking into you have Alpha Centauri. This game is already ported to linux? I'm confused.
                      No longer supported- the support went the way of the dodo when Loki Games did the same. If you can FIND a copy, I would be surprised- buy it if you've not already done so (Heh...I have my copy back from when Loki was still a going concern... ). Moreover, you may have issues with making it work with some of the modern distros. It's on the list to "revive" a Linux version as it's still one of those "viable" titles on the Windows side of things right at the moment (After the fashion GoG has gotten some of the "oldies but very goodies" back on the scene as a going concern.

Either Firaxis has the source and it's just a matter of cleaning it up for re-release against a modern compiler chain- or re-inventing the wheel because Loki didn't quite keep their word on that score when they went belly up.

Comment

Working...
                      X