Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Here is a suggestion from a friend... It might be aiming a bit high, but it would be a high-profile coup if we get it.

    The Diskworld games?
    AFAIK, the ScummVM developers have access to the source code for the first two games, and the blessing to make the data files freeware (possibly even free software).

    http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Tinsel
    http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1297

    Comment


    • I still remember Obsidian attempting to quell angered folks on ripping out OpenGL and essentially killing the multi-platform port at the time. Only one word can be used to describe that and the first part of that word is 'bull'.

      I wonder if anyone bothered to mail Atari asking them why they are anti-Linux. Perhaps we can get a straight answer... NOT.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        I still remember Obsidian attempting to quell angered folks on ripping out OpenGL and essentially killing the multi-platform port at the time. Only one word can be used to describe that and the first part of that word is 'bull'.
        Keep solidly in mind that Obsidian's no stranger to doing OpenGL work, etc. They did it with KOTORII- they just ended up being behind the curve on that title and then rushing it out the door on LucasArts' say-so. What happened here is the junior studio got the deal and the publisher told them what to do- when you're in that role, you ask, "how high" when they say "jump".

        I wonder if anyone bothered to mail Atari asking them why they are anti-Linux. Perhaps we can get a straight answer... NOT.
        Heh... I'm refraining from any further commentary on that specific subject...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          They chose to rip the OpenGL rendering code completely out in favor of DirectX9c code (which wasn't needed- they could have had distinct OpenGL and D3D backends, but...)
          Heh which was re-introduced when Aspyr did the native port of NWN2 to OS X, no cider solution for those guys.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by whizse View Post
            AFAIK, the ScummVM developers have access to the source code for the first two games, and the blessing to make the data files freeware (possibly even free software).

            http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Tinsel
            http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1297
            Useful info. We'll track the progress of their work then (No need in replicating endeavors...).

            Comment


            • So, has there been any new developments in the diskworld games status?

              Comment


              • It appears ScummVM potentially have permission to take it freeware.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                  It appears ScummVM potentially have permission to take it freeware.
                  Cool, but does that mean that it cannot be sold, or that theres no sourcec code publicly available? It would seem to me that all the games supported by scummvm are in that situation then, like Beneath a Steel Sky.

                  Comment


                  • I'm not sure, other than they think they may be able to release the Diskworld games as freeware on ScummVM. I got the impression that actually meant they hoped to be able to release the datafiles as part of a free "Diskworld game" package! They aren't yet sure if that's going to be beer or speech, but either would be nice

                    Comment


                    • Yea, either way is great, so when do you expect to have a definite annoucement? And, do you think you could see, since we're in the subject of older scummvm-able games, that other classics such as lure of the temptress could be released too?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X