Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance of the port

Is pretty good.

Game runs fine on my asus zenbook ux32a just in Intel GFX mode.
    Played a few hours yesterday.

Comment

Anyone installed Civ 5 for Linux on Nvidia GeForce 8800GT/9800GT/GTS 240?
      Please post your feedback. I'd like to buy the game, but want to be sure it runs okay.

Comment

Originally posted by a542 View Post
        Anyone installed Civ 5 for Linux on Nvidia GeForce 8800GT/9800GT/GTS 240?
        Please post your feedback. I'd like to buy the game, but want to be sure it runs okay.
        IIRC the 8800GT only supports OGL 2.1, so you're in the same boat as me (hardware not supported yet), and will have to use software rendering. Though... I'm having troubles with even that

Comment

I can barely write, my eyes are full of tears of joy!

@a542 I was playing CIV 5 on 9600 GT under wine. And it worked. I don't know if it will run natively, as I've just installed gtx750 in my rig. There is a demo version on steam. You can try to check it out.

Comment

Just bought it, even if is a bit old : 7?49 is definitely a great price for this quality and it is always a joy to support Linux gaming.

Really Steam is doing great for Linux players, they are the savior I waited for 10 years...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              IIRC the 8800GT only supports OGL 2.1, so you're in the same boat as me (hardware not supported yet), and will have to use software rendering. Though... I'm having troubles with even that
              Nope. All 8XXX graphics cards I know support OpenGL 3.2/3.3 and 8800 support it for sure.

Comment

I bought it too, since I was really delighted to stumble on an AAA title with native linux support. Cashed out for a KE, will report back on game experience with R9 270X and Arch Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  GeForce 8800GT supports OpenGL3.3, so Civilization V should works without problems on this card.

Comment

Just played it for a few hours, runs really well on a 660ti with nvidia-340, cant say I noticed any graphical bugs, or any for that matter. While I had a high framerate the game in all didnt feel as smooth as windows, but that seems to be the case with most ports. Also graphics not as detailed. But it runs, and runs well

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                      Installing now. I don't own any of the DLC, so issues with that won't be immediately noticable here. Hopefully the Mac/Linux/Windows version numbers are synced so that cross-platform multiplayer works correctly (there's been issues with the Firaxis/Aspyr versions for Win/Mac in the past).
                      Works fairly well on radeonsi (7850) with components out of xorg-edgers on Ubuntu Gnome 14.04. Fluid framerate, and only two graphical glitches that I've found so far. Once related to not being able to load the steam overlay correctly (I think that's a LD_PRELOAD issue with steam, not civ), and the other with the highlighting of the selected unit (The outer border of the sun/sky rays is showing up white). Otherwise seems ok. Only had enough time to play through a half-dozen turns in a new game.

Also, 75% off sale for DLCs lasts for a few more hours, so I grabbed the Gods&Kings and Brave New World expansions for myself and the mrs. There's a thread in the steam forums which indicates that Aspyr gets a percentage of sales that are either purchased in Linux, or played in Linux within X days/weeks of purchase. My Civ5 purchase was so long ago at this point, that it was the only way that I could show my support without rebuying things that I already owned.

Comment

Working...
                      X