Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's face it, with consoles getting more and more of the attention on the gaming front it is shifting their attention away from PC gaming. Do you really think that the big boys are going to put more effort into linux versions for the PC when most of them are simply porting the console versions to a windows PC if they even offer that?

Comment

• Realistically, the most one could probably hope for when it comes to AAA gaming in linux is that someone like EA decides that they will use a Cider like solution instead of a true port and bundles it with the PC version with Mac and Linux blobs along side of it. Alternatively maybe work with someone like Codeweavers to ensure compatibility with Crossover Gaming.

Comment

• @Svartalf

I guess your calculation is wrong as it is possible to select more than 1 target os too. So you would basically have to split the price between paid between 2 or 3 os. You will definitely get more than 100% users altogether when you sum up all 3 os. If you selected win+linux and paid 10$ then who do you count it? 10$ for linux AND win? or 5$ each... just think about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          @Svartalf

I guess your calculation is wrong as it is possible to select more than 1 target os too. So you would basically have to split the price between paid between 2 or 3 os. You will definitely get more than 100% users altogether when you sum up all 3 os. If you selected win+linux and paid 10$ then who do you count it? 10$ for linux AND win? or 5$ each... just think about it.
          Not only that but a lot of purchasers will "pig out" and download them all, needed or not, just in case. People are pack rats when it comes to downloading. The need and market for large capacity harddrives shows us that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
            i think that the last bone was etqw... but yeah we haven't seen AAA games since at least 3 years....
            No. The last AAA title was years ago

Sacred (2009)

Best Selling PC Games:

46. Sacred

An incomplete list of best-selling PC games of all time. It's incomplete because getting full results of sales across all platforms, re-releases, and from all types of vendors is problematic to say the least. The games on this list are ones that have published aprox sales figures, with minimum of 1 million sales, and listed from best-seller onwards. Latest figures taken from wikipedia page on January 2008: link Other Best Selling Games lists: 7th Generation Consoles: * Best Selling Wii Games * Best Selling X360 Games * Best Selling PS3 Games 6th Generation Consoles: * Best Selling PS2 Games * Best Selling GameCube Games * Best Selling Xbox Games * Best Selling DreamCast Games 5th Generation Consoles: * Best Selling PS1 Games * Best Selling N64 Games * Best Selling SAT Games 4th Generation Consoles: * Best Selling SNES Games * Best Selling GEN/MD Games 3rd Generation Consoles: * Best Selling NES Games

Comment

• Originally posted by gbudny View Post
              OK, but it being a 5 year old game at that point you can safely say that it was bargin bin fodder at that point.

Comment

• Also I wouldn't consider Sacred a AAA title. They are typically considered to be a) a high quality title with b) a high budget. Compared to budgets that are found in other studios I'm not sure Sacred would fall in to that category.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @Svartalf

Heh... The total number is quite simply the number of people that were takers. The estimated figures are off of what was reported as the OS when they downloaded first since they ask you which OS. I state that it's off- and it could be more because I'm presuming the number of "cheap" people that were dragging the average down were predominately Windows users based on the last HIB and the reports from this one. As such, it's an educated guess on things (Unfortunately, anyone that's honest will tell you the same thing on any of the sales figures... )

Still, roughly 11% of sales there and with the previous one, combined with the figures I've got access to for Caster will help with the things I'm trying to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    The estimated figures are off of what was reported as the OS when they downloaded first since they ask you which OS.
                    And how many people bothered with that?

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      And how many people bothered with that?
                      And how many people bought a $1 gift and purposefully marked it as a Windows sale to jerry rig the numbers?

Comment

Working...
                      X