Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if gaming would bring death to mac then why the linux market aren't bigger than mac for video/audio professional edition (final cut, anyone?), 3d animations/modeling, and some more? forget about foss or none foss, just think in the software available not its license!

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
      if gaming would bring death to mac then why the linux market aren't bigger than mac for video/audio professional edition (final cut, anyone?), 3d animations/modeling, and some more? forget about foss or none foss, just think in the software available not its license!
      Actually...

NUKE
      Mari
      MASSIVE Prime
      MASSIVE Jet
      Photogenics
      Smoke
      Maya

...and quite a few more are explicitly available on Linux (and the MAIN reason we've got 3D drivers from the Big Two...keep repeating that over and over...it's the truth...) because the movie studios ASKED explicitly for Linux support on many of those products.

Here's something for you to contemplate...the currently most expensive and largest grossing movie ever happens to have used Linux quite a bit in the rendering and production pipeline pieces. Weta or Cameron just didn't make an overlarge deal about it because Linux is just another tool as far as they're concerned.

If Mac was QUITE as big as many make it out in this space, you wouldn't have what we're seeing if you look closely enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
        you got it ;-) at that point my intelligence is just to high for Selec ;-)
        Uh... I honestly think you're acting the fool for all this posturing- and setlec is acting the fool by rising up to your trolling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
          lol that couldn't be further from the truth.

Apple and Linux caters to two almost completely different market segments, and games would change that only marginally.
          That remains to be seen. Right now it caters to two almost completely differing markets. But that IS changing with more fun changing it further hanging in the wings right at the moment. (It's so much fun having insider info...shame I can't divulge some of it... )

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Actually...

NUKE
            Mari
            MASSIVE Prime
            MASSIVE Jet
            Photogenics
            Smoke
            Maya

...and quite a few more are explicitly available on Linux (and the MAIN reason we've got 3D drivers from the Big Two...keep repeating that over and over...it's the truth...) because the movie studios ASKED explicitly for Linux support on many of those products.

Here's something for you to contemplate...the currently most expensive and largest grossing movie ever happens to have used Linux quite a bit in the rendering and production pipeline pieces. Weta or Cameron just didn't make an overlarge deal about it because Linux is just another tool as far as they're concerned.

If Mac was QUITE as big as many make it out in this space, you wouldn't have what we're seeing if you look closely enough.
            Well i guess that i'm ignorant in that matter. Well tha last time that i used a mac and had an interest was about a decade ago... (my knowledge about dates from that time)

Originally posted by Svartalf
            Uh... I honestly think you're acting the fool for all this posturing- and setlec is acting the fool by rising up to your trolling.
            you got me!

Comment

That remains to be seen. Right now it caters to two almost completely differing markets. But that IS changing with more fun changing it further hanging in the wings right at the moment. (It's so much fun having insider info...shame I can't divulge some of it... )
              Well it might be correct that Linux could attract some of the apple users that simply have chosen MacOSX to be anti Microsoft.

But at least where I live apple caters mostly to those who have little knowledge about computers, use their laptop almost only for websurfing, but want something cool, stylish and different from everyone else (besided having an iphone and an ipod with "fits" well to their computer then). Oh and they have to have too much money They might also play some games now and then, but rather more casual ones.
              I know it sound like a cliche, but it really is like that here.

Concerning Linux, the only place where I could really see some people switching from MacOSX to Linux would be if a big company with stylisch products, lets say Sony, would release a cool netbook with an emmbedded Linux.

Linux is much more of a thread to the Windows market share and some parts of that demographic.

Comment

Inside infos in what domain? Upcoming games or the steam related stuff?

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  the website only says that 'several online magazines stated that Valve confirmed a linux client' but that there is no official word from Valve.

And since c't is usually supercarefully...
                  Oeps I misunderstood your previous reply to my post. Please forget my previous reaction.

Yah, c't normally is very carefully with their news. unfortunately still no reply from them yet. luckely I'm a linux user... developed a long breath and patience by life experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
                    Well it might be correct that Linux could attract some of the apple users that simply have chosen MacOSX to be anti Microsoft.

But at least where I live apple caters mostly to those who have little knowledge about computers, use their laptop almost only for websurfing, but want something cool, stylish and different from everyone else (besided having an iphone and an ipod with "fits" well to their computer then). Oh and they have to have too much money They might also play some games now and then, but rather more casual ones.
                    I know it sound like a cliche, but it really is like that here.
                    Exactly. It has gotta have the Apple logo otherwise it's worthless.

Comment

• I need an iPhone 4 | Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/tinywatch | Twitter: @tinywatches

Comment

Working...
                      X