Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    Until now there is no official denial or confirmation of a steam linux port
    What do you mean?

There IS a very clear official denial of a Linux port.

Comment

• I suspect the real answer is that Valve IS working on a Steam Client for Linux internally BUT (just like Blizzard and their WoW client for Linux that they created once) they have no plans at this time to release it to the public.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonwil View Post
        I suspect the real answer is that Valve IS working on a Steam Client for Linux internally BUT (just like Blizzard and their WoW client for Linux that they created once) they have no plans at this time to release it to the public.
        Maybe they're working on Steam for Android?

Comment

• android is a embedded OS, which is different from gnu/linux OS!

@B15hop: the client showed several problems to run iirc and most were due to some libs... (alpha version maybe) how it would run any game?

Comment

• So when is "Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux"?

Comment

• hmm just searched the thread for '403' and '404' but didn't see anything, so I assume you guys probably didn't notice:
              I occasionally still check the ol' steam_client_linux link, and a fair few weeks back it'd gone from 403 (permission denied) to 404 (file not found), but as of something like a fortnight ago it's back to 403, which may well mean nothing, but could be somewhat positive.

Comment

• I keep getting vague hits that steam linux is still happenning. I got an e-mail from Humble bundle last week giving me a steam key for my games. If you consider what advantages this may give steam, it can only make more sense if they're going to release a linux steam client. The fact that they expanded their support to OSX and also LGP mysteriously disappeared leads me to believe that we may even see a Linux client as soon as christmas.

Also another hint this morning.
                Killing floor (UT2004 engine) released a 587MB update this morning. It has new skins and a new map, but I'm estimating that the added content is only roughly ~200MBs. I Haven't really investigated this but I believe they may have pulled a fast one to add Linux support. Still, I am only speculating based on really really vague information. But it's fun to have hope and get excited

Comment

• Don't get excited about the Humble Bundle being able to be activated over Steam. That's just for the windows and mac users - there's a blog post over on wolfire about it.
                  Hope is one thing - but sorry, nothing to get excited about yet!

Comment

• Your speculations are baseless.

LGP went down because of a hard drive failure.

And there is nothing to support what you think about killing floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                      Your speculations are baseless.

LGP went down because of a hard drive failure.

And there is nothing to support what you think about killing floor.
                      Clearly... but I just assumed he was joking... Presumably parodying the desperate attempts by some people to find the "smoking gun" evidence that valve is developing weapons of mass destruction.

Comment

Working...
                      X