Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get your point, but you're not getting mine. Netscape was NOT FREE

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      I get your point, but you're not getting mine. Netscape was NOT FREE
      But it wasn't in the '98.. it wasn't too late to start free business for Internet. In that year, born Google too... but there wasn't Windows Update able to kick Google out (Windows default homepage was always Microsoft) MSN: Search did loose the battle with Google because there was nothing to install.

Why do you think Google did pack with Firefox so hatefully (who remember the Google's campaign: 1$ for every Firefox installation with Google toolbar). Wouldn't had be more cheap make just another Internet Explorer toolbar?

Google survive to the 99% Internet Explorer market share because people in Google Inc did realize presently what a "MSN/Live Search/Bing" would mean.

Contrary to Valve's Steam which are faithfully keeping all their business in Microsoft hand. Valve should try what Google did at their time: take the business out of Microsoft hand.. before its too late.

One last point: the global market share of Seven is increasing.

We all know that the Seven's market share increase with new PC (latest PC, with latest shiny-powerful-graphic).
      Every new PC connected to Internet will auto install (or repeatedly "propose to the user") Live services... what will propose Steam installation on the new shiny pc?

Equation:
      for Valve: Old user + stop.
      for Microsoft: Old user+New User+Steam's User (some steam games require you an live access)

Guess who win?

Google is already on the next step to survive (Linux --> Chrome OS), but what is doing Valve? Love Mac

Comment

• That would be disastrous. Microsoft buying out steam. =(

I wouldn't wish that upon anyone....

I don't want windows live, but I think it's pre installed with some games now. Fallout New Vegas for example required me to install Steam. I do think Valve and Blizzard need to be weary of the new business model that might soon be the norm. People whined like hell when battle.net 2 required a online connection but now I'm seeing the logic from a business perspective. Download the game for free but require a key to play online (with friends) or to score achievement points....

Steam's weak point for me is that it hogs my bandwidth. I'm just lucky that my bandwidth isn't too bad and I have only installed a few games. I know some people who have an archive of 100+ games, their bandwidth gets hammered chronically. How many of those games require updates, patches etc. Steam is a little ahead of it's time still, so until we all have 10 or 100Mbit internet connections, Steam is safe from Microsoft's business wrath.

Looking at Firefox slowly catching the IE tail. The problem here is that too many educated PC users have it engrained in their mind that IE is a safer and more complete browser. Yet a lot of uneducated computer users will call IE "The internet" because that is what they see. They don't know any better:

"Click on the internet"
        "Open the internet"
        "Start the internet"
        "Go on the internet"

It's whatever browser comes with their pre installed PC. Opera is arguably a safer browser than even firefox, but if I mention that to any PC user they will most likely give me a blank look. I still stick to firefox for it's more complete feature set.

So steam developers would be doing themselves a great justice by broadening their market towards other platforms such as mobile phones or Linux.... The sooner they get a foot in, the sooner they can avoid the M$ wrath.

Comment

• is online again. Forbidden, but the file is back. Anyone thinks they may just started all over again with the client (think case sensitive issues etc.) which caused the delays?

Comment

• Following the conversation steam linux is more deterrent

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...73683&page=231

Comment

• Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
              I have a confession to make.

I contacted both you an Michael around April the first pretending to be various inside people at valve. I'm afraid I simply made it all up... I meant to tell everyone straight after, honest. but you all seemed so happy... I didn't want to disappoint you all :'(

Maybe now the real people at valve see how excited we got and how disappointed we all became they'll take sympathy on us and make a Linux steam for real...

I'm truly sorry if I hurt anyone. I know this joke has gone on to long. I just ask that the opensource community can open their hearts and forgive me.
              just one little question to the people involved here ...

Is this gui realy your source for all the hype around the Valve Linuxport ???

Please Michael answer ... I think a lot of people are keen on this answer, at least I am.

Comment

• @ snowder, probably he is trolling... Until now there is no official denial or confirmation of a steam linux port BUT there is a linux client that have been made available... sometimes it's up on steam website sometimes it isn't. Be patient we might get some words for Valve someday...

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                  @ snowder, probably he is trolling... Until now there is no official denial or confirmation of a steam linux port BUT there is a linux client that have been made available... sometimes it's up on steam website sometimes it isn't. Be patient we might get some words for Valve someday...
                  The client may just be for steam games to work under wine / cedega. Who knows... I don't really give a rat until something decent has shown itself. A in my opinion is now a very good idea.

Comment

• hmmm i disagree with the cedega/wine thing when the first linux client was reported many ppl kinda hacked the client without using wine or cedega or crossover, it was native...

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
                      hmmm i disagree with the cedega/wine thing when the first linux client was reported many ppl kinda hacked the client without using wine or cedega or crossover, it was native...
                      The client might be native but the games might still require wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X