Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Ah, but you don't know the WHOLE story. He said this at a time they WEREN'T saying they were going to improve things. More specifically he just mentioned a codename that's generally not used outside of a few insiders and the people that actually WORKED on the codebase. I know this because I was one of the people that actually did work on it at thier Marlborough, MA offices, just right after AMD bought ATI- they'd not even changed the signs yet. Now, I'd been hired on with the intent to get the Windows effort on ORCA un-logjammed and possibly get the Linux versions of that same codebase out the door (It's why I had taken the job in the first place...). At the time I was let go because of budgetary reasons (Contractor...) we'd not got anything but the ORCA codebase out the door on XP and Vista. There wasn't ANY manpower allocated (nor did it look like there would be for at least 6-12 months in the future...) when I left because they were gathering up to regroup on pretty much everything at that time (part of why I believe that I was let go instead of extended another 6 months...), which was about around the time that Michael started mentioning these things.

If you don't know the backstory, you'd think that he didn't have anything there... But, he does seem to have had it there, based on what I know.
    I accept that on that he did have insider info. That doesn't in my mind mean he has accurate inside info re: Steam on Linux. I maintain that it's possible that he does, but only possible, not certain. I'm unaware of a long track record of previous accurate leaks but then I've only been reading his writings for a couple of years or so so of course I could be wrong :-) I'll continue to not raise a likelyhood of Steam on Linux to anyone considering a shift of platforms.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    My big complaint is one similar to Naib's... He should hold off until it's really closer to fruition before putting something out as a news item. I'm fairly certain that there's a good chance of something coming our way based on the inside info I've got that I can't divulge details on. However, for whatever reason, it's being delayed for right now- and Michael shouldn't have announced it so soon.
    This is somewhat where I pretty much sit as well assuming that it is coming. The issue of how much weight I put on the value of his leaks aside.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    That's because most of those rumors wouldn't have had any way to be believable because the insiders would've been constrained by that court case to keep their traps shut (If you thought an NDA was bad, wait until you're under a Federal Court Gag Order...).
    I put this on the list of possible mitigations as to why we're not being given solid info.

The trouble with insider info is that sometimes it's true, and sometimes not. Given that we then have to reflect on the track record of the source. For me, the driver info wasn't enough to establish a strong track record. From what I've read of what you say I'd be more inclined to believe you for what it's worth. Additionally, the Steam on Linux info could've been accurate for a time, and then for new reasons could've been canned. On the other hand the success of the Humble Indy Bundle might sure up the business case... Who knows

I guess I'm saying I see no reason to believe at this stage with any degree of certainty and wait to be pleasantly surprised if/when? we see it. And obviously the story title was wrong as well ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      There was a. working. leaked. client. It didn't run any games or such but it did basic things which is realistically all that we need.

That alone confirms that they're working on it. There is literally no other possible thing that would result in a partial linux client.

You make it sound like he's crying wolf but he's absolutely right.
      I disagree with your assessment of the leaked client. I've been involved with projects that were prototyped but not followed through with though admittedly much smaller fry than we're talking about here. There could be many reasons for that to exist, one (and only one) of which is a production release of Steam on Linux.

I do admit though if I saw a leaked engine I'd be a lot more hopeful :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
        I guess I'm saying I see no reason to believe at this stage with any degree of certainty and wait to be pleasantly surprised if/when? we see it.
        There you go- that's really about all anyone really ought to do on these things. I've got a bit better info so I'm leaning a little bit to the "pro" side, mainly because I don't have it directly from Valve and they can yank any project at any time for any reason (witness UT3...). There's a good chance he's right- and been right on these things. If so, he's guilty of looking for a scoop and probably a bit of a desire to show people what cool things were finally coming our way. So far, that's Michael's real sin on things on this site and the forums. He did it with the LGP rumors (not happy about how that one went down either...). He did it with the fglrx ORCA rollout. He did it with the tech data from AMD. In the end, though, it DID prove out that he was given insider info, allowed to release it, etc.- he just did it probably sooner than he ought to in each instance.

Comment

On the other hand the success of the Humble Indy Bundle might sure up the business case...
          Oh, by the way, that DID catch people's attention in the industry. Lots of studios either planning to do versions, doing versions, or wanting ports of things. It wouldn't surprise me if Valve reassessed things in light of this showing we've seen there.

Comment

Certain hints by some are just that. They could just be funnin' with us for laughs and giggles :-)
            Surely not! That doesn't sound like Valve at all.

Originally posted by Naib View Post
            NEVER was it once said by Valve that there is going to be a linux client for STEAM, it was suggested by 3rd parties
            So wtf can it be "official"
            That's something that's been bugging me right from the start.

Comment

• Microsoft starts to kill steam.

Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Play Xbox games and stream video on all your devices.

When Valve do not react now, they will be dead within the next 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desti View Post
                Microsoft starts to kill steam.

Experience the new generation of games and entertainment with Xbox. Play Xbox games and stream video on all your devices.

When Valve do not react now, they will be dead within the next 2 years.
                Competition can be a great thing. I doubt mirosofts solution will be bigger than steam... and this is of course good for the prospects of a linux steam. The fact is if their was more alternative steam like products from the start many of them would be supporting linux by now.

Though not as important now as I do believe steam is coming to linux, I think if you wanted to make valve release steam for linux people could have made a relatively simple drm free equivalent with cross platform support. Even if it only had basic indie game support valve would not have liked competition on a system they wasn?t supporting themselves.

Comment

• Well in the meantime there is always the Ubuntu Software Centre.
                  Vendetta is possibly second commercial game to be featured in Ubuntu SC
                  http://www.gamingonlinux.info/news.php?view=99
                  Here's hoping it takes off.

Comment

• I honestly don't care about that.
                    I want source games in linux.

Comment

• I think the point is, once there is a successful online store, it can be used as a gauge to determine minimum market size.

Once we actually have a metric, we can track growth, and that data can be used to justify Valve targeting Steam for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X