Valve Publishes Steam Survey Numbers For April 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    Well, that's one way to end the discussion.
    That saves yourself from answering questions and backing your claims.
    Last edited by oleid; 03 May 2024, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
      Let's see what Linux desktop/laptop looks like this month.

Linux - 1.90%
      AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 - 31.62%
      AMD Radeon Graphics (RADV VANGOGH) - 10.85%​​

So: 1.9 * ( 1 - (0.316 + 0.109)) = 1.092%

Does it look good for 10 years on steam and supposedly a better system for free?

And I remember the bragging of Linux fans how it was going to destroy Windows in the gaming field in no time. It wasn't just windows that was going to collapse. SteamMachine was going to destroy consoles too.
      Not only are you a sad troll, you're also a bad troll.
      Steam Deck can be used as a desktop and more and more people use it as such (proof being the Reddit threads / websites articles / youtube videos that show it's not necessarily the primary use of it - although it is for me xd - but still a common use).

So there is no reason whatsoever to make that kind of subtraction.

Oh, also, good job on purposely keeping your troll about the percentage, because translating in raw number of users would show how Linux users on the gaming side of community is steadily growing since Steam itself has a steady near-double-digit growth in userbase since years.
      Last edited by Citan; 03 May 2024, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

All I got from Phoronix's reviews was that AMD's own drivers on WIndows are garbage compared to open source Linux drivers.
        I feel like this is unnecessarily splitting hairs. If Nvidia's driver delivers more performance on Windows than Linux then those users' experience is that Windows is better for gaming. If AMD's driver delivers more performance on AMD than on Linux then these users will have a better Linux experience than on Windows. There's no particular reason for one OS to be intrindically better than the other, it just comes down to levels of software optimisation and if in some cases the optimisation favours Linux then by what metric would this be considered any less valid than the times the optimisation favours Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Well, that's one way to end the discussion.
          That saves yourself from answering questions and backing your claims.
          I already explained my position clearly on the first few pages. You are the one not explaining why we should replace a display server capable of 24 times the performance of windows on a modern CPU with one that matches or under performs windows, then acting surprised only 2% of steam gamers use linux for gaming.
          Last edited by mSparks; 03 May 2024, 06:55 AM.

Comment

nvidia has no problems with linux as long as you ignore the bullshit. in fact it is orders of magnitude faster than windows for the AI stuff that pays for me to fly helicopters for my spare time.
            Don't bullshit me here, nVidia fanboy. I've been gaming on Linux for a decade, I've seen all kinds of issues with hardware and software, nVidia GPU being one of the most damning one, constant issue with their proprietary drivers on every DKMS kernel update and so on. Terrible issues on laptops with dual GPU, NVidia and Intel, cards not switching and so on. Sometimes to the point, system would not display any GUI due to driver incompatibility with new kernel. Try to sell that to Linux newcomers.
            I switched to Radeon years ago and I've just been gaming away for years without a single problem. That's why I tell everyone who wants to start with Linux, you want hassle free, get AMD hardware.
            Last edited by piorunz; 03 May 2024, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Don't bullshit me here, nVidia fanboy. I've been gaming on Linux for a decade, I've seen all kinds of issues with hardware and software, nVidia GPU being one of the most damning one, constant issue with their proprietary drivers on every kernel update and so on.
              I've been running nvidia and supporting thousands of nvidia and AMD linux users for some 2 decades.
              The only issues I have ever seen with nvidia were caused by the distro builders or BS attempts by utter morons to undermine them like this:
              https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
              Terrible issues on laptops with dual GPU, NVidia and Intel, cards not switching and so on. Sometimes to the point system would not display any GUI due to driver incompatibility with new kernel. Try sell that to Linux newcomers.
              I switched to Radeon years ago and I've just been gaming away for years without a single problem. That's why I tell everyone who wants to start with Linux, you want hassle free, get AMD hardware.
              Better, next time buy a macbook.
              Don't expect power hungry GPUs to ever perform well in a mobile form factor. Especially not on Linux where setting a power profile is generally the exclusive purview of enterprise users.
              Last edited by mSparks; 03 May 2024, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I already explained my position clearly on the first few pages. You are the one not explaining why we should replace a display server capable of 24 times the performance of windows on a modern CPU with one that matches or under performs windows, then acting surprised only 2% of steam gamers use linux for gaming.
                So here we have your problem. You seem to attack anyone as soon as you think they mean you harm. I never argued anything about the sense or nonsense of Wayland. Yet you mix up your petty arguments you had with others a few pages back with my input.

The only thing I spoke out against was your claim that you cannot play games with Wayland by providing steam deck as a data point which proves that it is in fact possible to play games via Wayland.

You seem to be so full of hatred, it must be a sad life. Anyway, I wish you all the best and that you'll find the help you need.

Comment

Better, next time buy a macbook.
                  Don't expect power hungry GPUs to ever perform well in a mobile form factor. Especially not on Linux where setting a power profile is generally the exclusive purview of enterprise users.
                  It's not a question of it not performing well, it's a question of the screen no longer turning on because you can't get a signal out of the HDMI, the internal monitor not displaying anything and being fundemantally unable to fix anything because you can't even get a terminal output following an Nvidia update. These are issues I have had now with two Nvidia systems. Luckily one of them was a desktop and it was fixed by buying an AMD card.

Comment

So here we have your problem. You seem to attack anyone as soon as you think they mean you harm. I never argued anything about the sense or nonsense of Wayland. Yet you mix up your petty arguments you had with others a few pages back with my input.

The only thing I spoke out against was your claim that you cannot play games with Wayland by providing steam deck as a data point which proves that it is in fact possible to play games via Wayland.

You seem to be so full of hatred, it must be a sad life. Anyway, I wish you all the best and that you'll find the help you need.
                    The limit of my respect for people parroting bullshit approaches zero, that is very different than the ad hominems that make up the only defense of many a posit.

Comment

By the way, by know I validated the claims from the Reddit link myself. Wayland it is.
                      Indeed, the Steam Deck's default Game Mode is a Wayland session using the gamescope compositor.

Combined with the GamingOnLinux trends (where the Steam Deck seems heavily under-represented so far), that probably means the majority of Linux Steam users are already using a Wayland session.

Comment

Working...
                      X