Valve Publishes Steam Survey Numbers For April 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Citan View Post
    Oh, also, good job on purposely keeping your troll about the percentage, because translating in raw number of users would show how Linux users on the gaming side of community is steadily growing since Steam itself has a steady near-double-digit growth in userbase since years.
    I make it that steam would have needed to add about 1.6 million users in the preceding 30 days for this not to be a decrease in the number using steam linux. Not sure that is particularly feasible, well into double digit growth annualised, and if anything its flattened off in the last couple of years as people switched to the Meta Quest and PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Indeed, the Steam Deck's default Game Mode is a Wayland session using the gamescope compositor.

Combined with the GamingOnLinux trends (where the Steam Deck seems heavily under-represented so far), that probably means the majority of Linux Steam users are already using a Wayland session.
      Worked out great, at current pace it should be back down to 1% by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Don't bullshit me here, nVidia fanboy. I've been gaming on Linux for a decade, I've seen all kinds of issues with hardware and software, nVidia GPU being one of the most damning one, constant issue with their proprietary drivers on every kernel update and so on. Terrible issues on laptops with dual GPU, NVidia and Intel, cards not switching and so on. Sometimes to the point system would not display any GUI due to driver incompatibility with new kernel. Try sell that to Linux newcomers.
        I switched to Radeon years ago and I've just been gaming away for years without a single problem. That's why I tell everyone who wants to start with Linux, you want hassle free, get AMD hardware.
        LMAO. That's funny stuff - you should be a comedian.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Worked out great, at current pace it should be back down to 1% by the end of the year.
          No, you have to be truthful and accurate - 2% is pretty good - it's almost at 98% of Windows gamers, you know...

Comment

...because the Steam Deck uses Wayland in game mode... Do you read back a single thing you say? The user experience is cited by every single review as its big outstanding triumph and you're here saying that a thing that Just Works and most users are not even aware of is singlehandedly decreasing Linux adoption? I can't even comprehend the absurdity of this drivel.

Comment

I've been running nvidia and supporting thousands of nvidia and AMD linux users for some 2 decades.
              The only issues I have ever seen with nvidia were caused by the distro builders or BS attempts by utter morons to undermine them like this:
              https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/
              Distro builders or not, many times I've seen kernel upgrade to new line breaking Nvidia driver! This is not happening on AMD GPU, ever, because there is no DKMS injected, proprietary driver. Way to avoid problems? Not buying a card for which you must taint and inject a proprietary driver for to the kernel.
              Better, next time buy a macbook.
              Don't expect power hungry GPUs to ever perform well in a mobile form factor. Especially not on Linux where setting a power profile is generally the exclusive purview of enterprise users.
              Macbook? Not my cup of tea. Broken Nvidia laptops are not my direct experience, but of my friends, because I would not buy Nvidia laptop ever. Normies do buy them and then they are disappointed that Linux is broken. One of my more techy friend still not switched to Linux for last couple of years because of terrible Intel+Nvidia laptop, which has beefy specs and works to this day, so he is still on Windows. He tried Mint, Ubuntu, and some other distro when he bought it, none of it work properly. You call this distro builders fault as well?
              Nvidia is just a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                2% is pretty good
                2% MoM fall in the market share of the steam deck within Linux gamers is more than pretty good, that took serious effort. You gotta try hard to screw up that badly.

Comment

Distro builders or not, many times I've seen kernel upgrade to new line breaking Nvidia driver! This is not happening on AMD GPU, ever, because there is no DKMS injected, proprietary driver. Way to avoid problems? Not buying a card for which you must taint and inject a proprietary driver for to the kernel.
                  This is exactly why I don't use Nvidia on Linux. The second reason is Wayland support of Nvidia. And, the minor problem is Nvidia's peculiar ways diverging from Linux common standards. Fortunately, these are no problem since both AMD and Intel work great. And, I can type this with 6.8.9 kernel without any trouble and also have a functional GPU. Alternatives are always good to have.

Comment

many times I've seen kernel upgrade to new line breaking Nvidia driver!
                    Never once through Voodoo I, II, ATI R200, GeForce FX 5500​, GTX570, GTX880, GTX1070, RX5700, RTX3070, RTX4090 have I seen a GPU driver or kernel upgrade a break on Linux.
                    Not much of an upgrade if it breaks stuff, is it.
                    It is a lot like buying a high performance car or bike though, scuttled at the factory to not exceed 186mph, you just need to know what software levers to pull to let them stretch their legs

Got a link to one?
                    This is not happening on AMD GPU, ever
                    Yeah right, happens pretty much every other month
                    Hi guys, I am a professional IT staff for over 20 years. As of yesterday, please be noted that amd-dkms package for Ubuntu 22.04, 23.04 and 23.10 cannot be compiled anymore. Furthermore, on 23.04 it totally broken the dpkg system, and had to manually remove the entry after it failed to compile. The ...

Even when you get it "working", basic functionality does not work correctly without major artifacting, this is a known issue with the AMD driver windows and linux for years now:

You wont find screenshots like that for nvidia.

AMD is cheaper because they leave driver investment to the likes of Microsoft and Sony, the only reason the open source driver is any good is AMDs closed source driver is such a steaming POS people had to actually work on it. This is why gamers don't use AMD, the first time they buy an AMD card is the last time they buy one - if they actually use it for more than minesweeper/solitaire.

But hey, its starts, slap a Vista compatible sticker on it and ship it to the customers, its what microsoft would do.

meanwhile the rest of us are busy building the future.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by mSparks; 03 May 2024, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Never once through Voodoo I, II, ATI R200, GeForce FX 5500​, GTX570, GTX880, GTX1070, RX5700, RTX3070, RTX4090 have I seen a GPU driver or kernel upgrade a break on Linux.
                      Not much of an upgrade if it breaks stuff, is it.
                      It is a lot like buying a high performance car or bike though, scuttled at the factory to not exceed 186mph, you just need to know what software levers to pull to let them stretch their legs

Got a link to one?

Yeah right, happens pretty much every other month
                      Hi guys, I am a professional IT staff for over 20 years. As of yesterday, please be noted that amd-dkms package for Ubuntu 22.04, 23.04 and 23.10 cannot be compiled anymore. Furthermore, on 23.04 it totally broken the dpkg system, and had to manually remove the entry after it failed to compile. The ...

Even when you get it "working", basic functionality does not work correctly without major artifacting, this is a known issue with the AMD driver windows and linux for years now:

You wont find screenshots like that for nvidia.

AMD is cheaper because they leave driver investment to the likes of Microsoft and Sony, the only reason the open source driver is any good is AMDs closed source driver is such a steaming POS people had to actually work on it. This is why gamers don't use AMD, the first time they buy an AMD card is the last time they buy one - if they actually use it for more than minesweeper/solitaire.

But hey, its starts, slap a Vista compatible sticker on it and ship it to the customers, its what microsoft would do.
                      Here is one of the links for "Nvidia Screen Corruption" search results.
                      The screen got completely messed up during a video call using Google Meet on Vivaldi while sharing one of my windows. Had to reboot to fix it. Below is a screenshot grabbed by one of my colleagues: Also, I’ve been experiencing a couple of issues lately: Frame sync errors during video playback on browsers (hardware video decoding is enabled). Doesn’t happen all the time “ghost input” on browsers text fields (tested on Vivaldi, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox). Typing text makes the cursor jumps b...

What was your point? You are just lying.

You didn't even understand what was complained about building kernel with Nvidia proprietary driver. I am actually not sure if you are stupid or liar. Does not matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X