Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Publishes Steam Survey Numbers For April 2024

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by mSparks View Post

    Photoshopped it and sent it back in time to the WT forum just for that post.


    I heard about this guy that jumped out of a plane without a parachute and survived with only a few grazes. you should try it, sounds like you got the luck.


    So? You came up with some anecdotal "evidence" and I countered it with equally anecdotal evidence. Difference: Mine is first hand experience, yours is some stuff you selectively picked from some forums to bolster your flimsy "arguments". Fun fact: Your source nowhere states Linux or Mesa drivers, but AMDs own Adrenaline - so what's your point exactly, apart from trolling?

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

      So? You came up with some anecdotal "evidence" and I countered it with equally anecdotal evidence. Difference: Mine is first hand experience, yours is some stuff you selectively picked from some forums to bolster your flimsy "arguments". Fun fact: Your source nowhere states Linux or Mesa drivers, but AMDs own Adrenaline - so what's your point exactly, apart from trolling?
      There is three conversation threads here

      wayland breaks everything for everyone, you should uninstall it and forget about it. Wayland breaking everything for everyone is the #1 reason these steam stats are so dire and getting worse. It was intentional.

      nvidia gets intentionally broken by linux distro builders, but is fundamentally fine as long as you ignore their BS. For TCO, even if all the other GPU manufacturers gave their cards away for free they would still be more expensive than nvidia. Nvidia itself has been a linux first company for a good few years now and its bottom line is proving that was the right choice.

      AMD drivers are legendary among developers in their buggyness and volume of support tickets they generate.

      which of those do you think your personal experience playing WT for a few years influences?
      Last edited by mSparks; 04 May 2024, 06:19 AM.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by mSparks View Post

        There is three conversation threads here
        What are you talking about? You linked to one discussion mentioning a bug in Adrenaline 24.1.1 which obviously was a regression since 23.12.1 seems ok. In what way is that related to my Mesa 23.3.6 driver?


        Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        wayland breaks everything for everyone, you should uninstall it and forget about it.
        Which MUST be utter bullshit, since I've been playing exclusively on Wayland at least for 2+ years now and not just only War Thunder but also various native and Proton titles. So everything and everyone is inherently wrong.

        Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Wayland breaking everything for everyone is the #1 reason these steam stats are so dire and getting worse.
        Care to explain this graph then?



        Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        nvidia gets intentionally broken by linux distro builders, but is fundamentally fine as long as you ignore their BS. For TCO, even if all the other GPU manufacturers gave their cards away for free they would still be more expensive than nvidia. Nvidia itself has been a linux first company for a good few years now and its bottom line is proving that was the right choice.
        I mean I get it, you are NVidia shill. Combining that with some conspiracy theories is just the icing on the cake. That's ok - there are all kind of weirdos out there...

        Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        AMD drivers are legendary among developers in their buggyness and volume of support tickets they generate.
        Yes. They were. Back in the day I had a Radeon HD 6xxx and the experience on Linux was abysmal - Mesa was useless and AMDs official driver buggy - and led to a NVidia powered intermission. But we are talking about a GPU which hit the market 13 years ago (that's when NVidia didn't offer an OOTB experience on Linux either - far from it). After a 1060 it was back to AMD 4+ years ago and since then my 5700, 5500XT, 7900XTX and 7800XT, my 5700G, 4750U or 7840U have been working just fine.

        Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        which of those do you think your personal experience playing WT for a few years influences?
        Why should I care? AMD GPUs on Linux nowaday just work.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

          What are you talking about? You linked to one discussion mentioning a bug in Adrenaline 24.1.1
          In reply to the assertion it never happens to AMD Proving that assertion wrong.

          moving on.
          Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          NVidia shill.
          Linux, AI, Cuda.

          The day AMD is competitive in that space is they day I start caring about AMDGPU again.
          Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          Radeon HD 6xxx and the experience on Linux was abysmal
          Going from the support tickets Ive seen, it is still abysmal- actually more so on windows.
          Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
          Why should I care?
          Exactly, No one does. They just buy nvidia and get on with living the good life.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by mSparks View Post
            Linux, AI, Cuda.
            Ah. Moving the goalposts. Though rather clumsily. You are aware that we were talking about Wayland and how it supposedly hurts gaming?
            And: I couldn't care less whether you use AMD GPUs or not. All I did was responding to your made-up Wayland and AMD GPU problems you (obviously) couldn't have experienced yourself and calling you out on it proved that.

            wayland breaks everything for everyone
            My ass!

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by mSparks View Post

              The day AMD is competitive in that space is they day I start caring about AMDGPU again.
              They just buy nvidia and get on with living the good life.
              Is there anybody who cares if you care about AMD?

              Good life? You are here 24/7 playing the same broken record. Get a life first!

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

                Ah. Moving the goalposts.
                Nah, nvidia didn't just move the goalposts, they converted them to an entirely different ballgame.
                Deal with it,
                or don't,

                no one cares.
                Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                wayland breaks everything for everyone
                Well, AMD users tend not to notice as much, since their shit is already broken. but there is a fairly popular gist on exactly that topic

                Think twice about Wayland. It breaks everything! GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.


                4 times as many stars than the wayland repo lol.

                Then act surprised, after all the effort to keep gamers away from linux, that gamers keep away from linux.
                Last edited by mSparks; 04 May 2024, 11:17 AM.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

                  So you must also count Nintendo Swith as a desktop, because you can also use it as a desktop, add a mouse and keyboard, even install Linux.

                  Nice is your Linux logic since Steam Deck is a desktop for you - a bit pathetic, a bit pity inducing.

                  Yes, I have installed GIMP and libreoffice on my steam deck, connected a keyboard, mouse and monitor to it and planned a sequence of lessons on my steam deck, it worked very well. If you want to explain how I could have done this on my Switch I'm all ears.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by cakeisamadeupdrug View Post
                    If you want to explain how I could have done this on my Switch I'm all ears.

                    Question for you: if one of my laptops is used as a server, does that mean we should count the laptops as servers?

                    Because you, fanboys, are making just such a lobotomy. You count handelds as desktops to make your numbers match.

                    No, handeld is not a desktop, a laptop is not a server. Although quite a few people use a handheld as a desktop or a laptop as a server.

                    you install linux. You have a lot manuals. Does this capability, and the fact that some are taking advantage of it, mean that we should count the Switch as a desktop?
                    Last edited by HEL88; 04 May 2024, 05:00 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HEL88 View Post


                      Question for you: if one of my laptops is used as a server, does that mean we should count the laptops as servers?

                      Because you, fanboys, are making just such a lobotomy. You count handelds as desktops to make your numbers match.

                      No, handeld is not a desktop, a laptop is not a server. Although quite a few people use a handheld as a desktop or a laptop as a server.

                      you install linux. You have a lot manuals. Does this capability, and the fact that some are taking advantage of it, mean that we should count the Switch as a desktop?
                      I'm not calling you names or insulting you. You do me the same courtesy, or get lost.

                      In answer to your question, yes what something is is the job it does, not what it looks like. If I use an embedded toaster as a server, it's a server. Using a steam deck as a pc is not even an uncommon use case.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X