No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Computers Launches First All-AMD Linux Gaming Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are people saying this gpu is weak? According to techpowerup this is a 21 tflops gpu with 166 gpixels/s and 333 gtexel/s. This is about double the performance of ps5. What more do people want in a laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Working more than perfect on my 5900HX with APU.
      Oh really? I thought both Nvidia and AMD isn't good on a laptop with Linux - the hybrid or weird graphics system laptops have these days.

Comment

AMD laptop and you can't use hdmi 2.1 ports? Don't laptops usually have hdmi 2/2/1 instead of DP?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

Oh really? I thought both Nvidia and AMD isn't good on a laptop with Linux - the hybrid or weird graphics system laptops have these days.
          Hybrid graphics means the use of an iGPU and dGPU while APU refers to the integrated GPU.

Comment

Yep... more specifically hybrid graphics usually means the use of both iGPU and dGPU with displays connected only to the iGPU. That requires either that the dGPU render into a frame buffer in system memory or that it renders into VRAM then copies the frame to system memory.

The advantage is that it allows battery operation with dGPU disabled for much longer battery life.

The only connection with AMD/NVidia is that Intel did not make dGPUs until recently and so an all-Intel system would have been iGPU only, just like an AMD APU-only system.
            Last edited by bridgman; 26 November 2023, 01:22 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Why are people saying this gpu is weak? According to techpowerup this is a 21 tflops gpu with 166 gpixels/s and 333 gtexel/s. This is about double the performance of ps5. What more do people want in a laptop?
              I read this thread just now and I am wondering the same. I used Radeon 7770 (the one from 2012) with my 2K 144Hz display without any issue with KDE desktop for 2 months. OFC no gaming but doing basic stuff like web surfing and coding easy. I used Intel laptop with iGPU and novideo dGPU. Any iGPU, even Intel one is more than enough for Linux desktop if you don't game. And here you have really powerful AMD iGPU with quite desent dGPU - and people call that not enough? Its either me crazy or everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                The performance per terraflop dropped between RDNA2 (ps5/xbox/6xxx series) and RDNA3 (7xxx series). Basically the terraflops doubled for maybe 10/20% increase in gaming performance. (and this is the mobile variant, so not 20 terraflops).

They are not good comparisons. The 7600 is probably in the same ballpark as a ps5, but without the efficiencies of a fixed platform.

It is still good/amazing especially considering its price (though on deal intel can be better valued if you have a new enough CPU)

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

The performance per terraflop dropped between RDNA2 (ps5/xbox/6xxx series) and RDNA3 (7xxx series). Basically the terraflops doubled for maybe 10/20% increase in gaming performance. (and this is the mobile variant, so not 20 terraflops).

They are not good comparisons. The 7600 is probably in the same ballpark as a ps5, but without the efficiencies of a fixed platform.

It is still good/amazing especially considering its price (though on deal intel can be better valued if you have a new enough CPU)
                  The numbers I posted are for the mobile variant, but youre right, this is slightly faster than a PS5. Still, thats a decent speed for a laptop.

Comment

It's hideous.

And isn't this some kind of Compal anyway? Why bother?

Why do they insist on having an off-center touchpad when installing a full size keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimefighter View Post

Hybrid graphics means the use of an iGPU and dGPU while APU refers to the integrated GPU.
                      Yes, but Optimus graphics were a pita for a while, afaik - and laptop graphics has the complicated nature of various 'hybrid' graphics - disabling this, enabling that - sleep/hibernation states etc. etc. Whereas, with desktop cards - you disable the igpu if there's one - from the cpu - and then it uses the dedicated card?

This was difficult for devs to deal with - I dunno about now.

Comment

Working...
                      X