Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Percentage Dips Further In September, AMD Powers 70% Of Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Percentage Dips Further In September, AMD Powers 70% Of Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Percentage Dips Further In September, AMD Powers 70% Of Linux Gamers

After Steam on Linux usage topped to nearly 2% in July with the phenomenal success of the Steam Deck and with greater marketshare than Apple macOS, in August it took a dip and now the September numbers are out and points to a second consecutive month of the Linux percentage receding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sorry guys, I didn't login to steam last month. It'll be better this month..

Comment

I mean the trend show a correlation of assumptions. For example:
      • During summer, people have vacation and pops into Stream to play.
      • Games Linux users actually enjoy is being marketed (visible).
      • Being at home with less to do makes people scroll Steam games.
      • People during summer have more time to read Linux Gaming news (because some of it is actually exciting)
      Regardless, Linux has come a long way now that gaming is a choice on the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
        sorry guys, I didn't login to steam last month. It'll be better this month..
        No problem we are safe. Got the survey yesterday

Comment

Yeah I'm to blame also. Had to go back to Win11 in order to play some games with VRR and HDR which I can't get working correctly under Linux atm. (7900XTX)
          Hope to return to Linux when Plasma6 comes out.

Comment

Wow, i got the prompt for the survey on my main box yesterday night and on my deck just now....last time i got it was about two or three years ago iirc...

Comment

Yeah, I also marked the day with a cross in the calendar yesterday. Got the survery on Linux.
              I also looked at the results and it was obvious that inside the Linux fraction the Steam device seemed to play a pretty big role.

However I still do not trust these numbers. Moreover, I wonder about the Chinese market. I thought they wanted to be free of western influence, but instead of RedFlag Linux people use (very likely unlicensed) copies of Windows.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Yeah I'm to blame also. Had to go back to Win11 in order to play some games with VRR and HDR which I can't get working correctly under Linux atm. (7900XTX)
                Hope to return to Linux when Plasma6 comes out.

814ifx2.jpg

Comment

Missing VRR and HDR isn't what I call Sublime support. Soz...

PS. I directly compared SDR to HDR in CP77 and, wow, massive difference, not really a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Missing VRR and HDR isn't what I call Sublime support. Soz...

PS. I directly compared SDR to HDR in CP77 and, wow, massive difference, not really a choice.
                    OK somehow you are right HDR (and VRR) support is really lacking behind. Albeit the rest is usually a bit better on Linux side.

I don't have a freesync monitor so can't contribute an experience related statement. But I have heard that freesync is enabled by default with kernel 6.5(?) Is there any improvement on the VRR side?
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 02 October 2023, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X