Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Percentage Dips Further In September, AMD Powers 70% Of Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
    sorry guys, I didn't login to steam last month. It'll be better this month..
    Post this on apple forum.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I don't have a freesync monitor so can't contribute an experience related statement. But I have heard that freesync is enabled by default with kernel 6.5(?) Is there any improvement on the VRR side?
      That only works with DisplayPort, so those of us with only HDMI need either either an adapter (that doesn't necessarily work perfectly, while costing extra) or well.. nothing. Hopefully AMD will fix that soon, but the verdict by legal keeps getting delayed it seems.

Comment

Valve really should start polling all the connected systems. Not doing so is quite illogical, has zero benefits and introduces a lot of unnecessary variability to the results.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Valve really should start polling all the connected systems
          What do you mean with that? Valve connecting to my computer? Because that would be problematic for so many reasons.

Edit: ah, "poll" probably meant the user survey, not polling as in connecting and requesting data from a distant machine
          Last edited by reba; 02 October 2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            Valve really should start polling all the connected systems. Not doing so is quite illogical, has zero benefits and introduces a lot of unnecessary variability to the results.
            I would prefer a one-time opt-in, and then receive the poll every month. People who don't want to participate in the poll won't be bothered any more (maybe ask once a year, or upon a reinstall of the Steam client or something) and people who do want to participate simply get to without fail.

Comment

That's the first time I got the request using the new interface. With the former big picture, it never asked me, but did only when (if) I quit big picture. Also, I have noticed that I was only asked to take the survey when I connect on the 1st of the month. The only condition in which I did get request after, is if I previously ignored the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                However I still do not trust these numbers. Moreover, I wonder about the Chinese market. I thought they wanted to be free of western influence, but instead of RedFlag Linux people use (very likely unlicensed) copies of Windows.
                The CCP wants to be free of Western influence, but I think you will find that most ordinary covet and seek out Western originating items.

Of course, considering most things seem to be made in China these days, it's hard for the CCP to eliminate Western influence when the average citizen is probably working in a factory making Western items.

Also, I remember back in the Win XP days, Microsoft released a study that showed something like 99% of Windows installs in China were pirate copies and the proved by comparing the number of licenses they sold in China versus the number of unique IP addresses originating in China connecting to Microsoft's computers for updates.

Comment

It's no surprise that among Linux users AMD seems to be preferred platform.

All one has to do is read through the comments in this forum, there is a sort of counterculture, root for the underdog mentality among Linux users that makes them gravitate towards AMD.

Maybe it's because for many people Microsoft and Intel have been "married" in a "Wintel" collaboration for decades, but these people also show the same hostility against Nvidia.

It probably has more to do with espousing a contrarian opinion that they think makes them look cool.
                  Last edited by sophisticles; 02 October 2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    It's no surprise that among Linux users AMD seems to be preferred platform.

All one has to do is read through the comments in this forum, there is a sort of counterculture, root for the underdog mentality among Linux users that makes them gravitate towards AMD.

Maybe it's because for many people Microsoft and Intel have been "married" in a "Wintel" collaboration for decades, but these people also show the same hostility against Nvidia.

It probably has more to do with espousing a contrarian opinion that they thunk makes them look cool.
                    Personally, I use AMD because I hate Intel and Ngreedia and I use Linux because I hate MS.

I hate Intel because of their many illegal tactics, plus I still remember what they did to me as a consumer when they were on top and keep me in 4 core hell for a decade.

I hate Ngreedia because they love to push proprietary crap that its main reason to exist is to keep me locked into their hardware, hence limiting my options as a consumer.

I hate Ms because of all their illegal shit that ended killing a lot of good companies and products, like BeOS.

So far, AMD keeps supporting open source, support us consumers with tech that doesnt keep you locked and they actually have better prices.

Granted, their prices are there because they dont have a choice and yes, they turned into an intel when they had Athlons kicking intel ass.

But this time, they are keeping prices in check even though, they are back at kicking intels ass.

All that said, I am using ChimeraOS since this is strictly a gaming pc, but since I have a LG c9, i am missing HDR, VRR and proper 120 fps at 4k because of Linux and might have to install winblows again if that continues. The saving grace is that ChimeraOS really turns this into a super console and I am happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Doubtful out of box. What adjustments did you make? Also it likely all breaks once you enable a second monitor.

Hmm, I was fooled, there's only very limited functionality. You can set the SteamOS frame limiter to 60/120 fps within the game and Freesync will be used to switch between the two refresh rates according to the TV's OSD, but it doesn't work for other values.

Comment

Working...
                      X