Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Percentage Dips Further In September, AMD Powers 70% Of Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    But I have heard that freesync is enabled by default with kernel 6.5(?) Is there any improvement on the VRR side?
    Improvements with Wayland yes, but I have the common bug where if VRR is enabled it causes continuously brightness flicker. It's unusable when that bug happens.

You can get HDR working in gamescope nested steam big screen with a few flags toggled but its not a desktop experience and you won't be doing anything else while running linux in that fashion.

So we have all the bits working in some fashion, they just need to be brought all together and bugs fixed. This sort of problem is one of the biggest pitfalls of Linux, bringing all the good stuff together in one seamless desktop environment. One day... .

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      nd you won't be doing anything else while running linux in that fashion.
      You could use a different tty for desktop. Sometimes I have the desktop with all applications on the first tty and gamescope fullscreen on another.

Otherwise I somewhat agree with the sentiment.

Comment

HDR and VRR work great for me in HoloISO with a RX 6900 XT.

Comment

Originally posted by hartree View Post
          Doubtful out of box. What adjustments did you make? Also it likely all breaks once you enable a second monitor.

Originally posted by reba View Post
          You could use a different tty for desktop. Sometimes I have the desktop with all applications on the first tty and gamescope fullscreen on another.
          Otherwise I somewhat agree with the sentiment.
          Yeah flipping in between TTY is not quite seamless, there is a delay and sound and control is dedicated to whichever one your in. Plus in the past when I've done this, some games REALLY hated me doing it and would trigger a freeze/crash or some other crap thing.

You could also launch a different TTY on separate monitor and have some tool to switch kbm to that TTY. Again more loops to jump through, not a seamless experience at all.

Last edited by theriddick; 02 October 2023, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hartree View Post
            HoloISO sounds nice if you want to build a dedicated gaming box, but how well does it work as an all purpose OS?

Comment

Doubtful out of box. What adjustments did you make? Also it likely all breaks once you enable a second monitor.

Yeah flipping in between TTY is not quite seamless, there is a delay and sound and control is dedicated to whichever one your in. Plus in the past when I've done this, some games REALLY hated me doing it and would trigger a freeze/crash or some other crap thing.

You could also launch a different TTY on separate monitor and have some tool to switch kbm to that TTY. Again more loops to jump through, not a seamless experience at all.

True, not seamless.
              Actually I don't use gamescope or several ttys very often but just to try things out.
              In 100% of all cases borderless fullscreen on the desktop works just as good or even better. I yet have to find the game that runs smoother or faster or anything in gamescope than on my standard plain old desktop.

Comment

Missing VRR and HDR isn't what I call Sublime support. Soz...

PS. I directly compared SDR to HDR in CP77 and, wow, massive difference, not really a choice.
                I made that same mistake when I started playing FF7 which just happened to be when Josh released the initial Linux HDR work earlier this year. Once I played it in HDR I didn't want to go back to SDR. I haven't been more giddy and in anticipation of a feature like I have after that little tease of HDR with Linux 6.2.

Right now I'm playing Cyberpunk for the first time since the 1.06 patch in 2020 and I'm going out of my way to not view it in HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Right now I'm playing Cyberpunk for the first time since the 1.06 patch in 2020 and I'm going out of my way to not view it in HDR.
                  Yeah same, unfortunately its too late for me. I have seen it and now I must have more!

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    Only for SDR at 60hz or better without FreeSync. If you go outside those specs it'll turn you into a newt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                      I mean the trend show a correlation of assumptions. For example:
                      • During summer, people have vacation and pops into Stream to play.
                      • Games Linux users actually enjoy is being marketed (visible).
                      • Being at home with less to do makes people scroll Steam games.
                      • People during summer have more time to read Linux Gaming news (because some of it is actually exciting)
                      Regardless, Linux has come a long way now that gaming is a choice on the ecosystem.
                      The conclusion is an entirely different one. It is not like only Linux users go on vacation....

It is more of a problem of huge a huge error caused not only the assessment but also in overall irregular usage of gamers.
                      This also means it is completely nonsensical and utterly futile to make news articles about these random fluctuations.
                      The Linux gamer base is tiny, and has not increased significantly over the past years if you make a trend observation. That's all you can learn from this....
                      1.5, 1.9, or 2.1 doesn't mean anything whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                      X