Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Usage Spikes To Nearly 2% In July, Larger Marketshare Than Apple macOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evasb View Post
    You don't like Linux, you don't like open source, you don't like open drivers.

What are you doing here, HEL88?
    Don't feed the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I also played the game for quite some time.
      I really like the graphics, story and cinematics..
      But the delivery of shipments/packages just got boring over time.
      Sometimes you get to fight some bad guys or it starts raining and the demons appear... But most of the time you're just crossing the landscape with a huge backpack from facility to another.
      The irony of the game is that when you like it enough you end up becoming a MULE.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Dias View Post

Don't feed the troll.
        The mind wonders, is this another secret account for the same troll, besides avis and birdie?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

The mind wonders, is this another secret account for the same troll, besides avis and birdie?

Yes, because only one person in the world has reservations about desktop linux.

That's probably why, after 30 years of being free and 'better' than competition, it won as much as 3% of the desktop market.

lol

BTW in my department in recent years about 50% of people working on linux have switched to macOS - they probably prefer a worse and more problematic work environment - don't they?​
          Last edited by HEL88; 02 August 2023, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
            BTW in my department in recent years about 50% of people working on linux have switched to macOS - they probably prefer a worse and more problematic work environment - don't they?​
            In fairness, if people in your department are running on Macintosh HW then in recent years they would have had a tough time finding Linux support due to the lack of documentation and/or vendor support for the latest CPU/GPU hardware, leaving MacOS as pretty much the only option. I don't think you can generalize Macintosh HW experience across the entire PC market.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Most gamers in their right mind won't use Linux when the driver system is Linux is completely fucked up.

The only OS in the world where upgrading drivers or requiring new hardware support mean upgrading the OS, its system files and the kernel instead of installing a simple driver package.

Or when you build software in Ubuntu 23.04 that makes calls to glibc and can't use that software in Ubuntu 22.10 because that binary is tied to the fucking newer version of glibc it is built with. Again, Linux is the only OS in the world where targeting older systems means having to build and develop on that fucking older system. So if I need to build an application that uses Qt6 and glibc, and it needs to support old distributions all the way back to Debian 9, what am I supposed to do? Install Debian 9 in a VM and fucking compile Qt6 from source, then do my development there?

Try telling a Windows developer that if he wants his software to be usable on Windows 7, he needs to build his software in Windows 7 and not that new PC running Windows 11. Or a macOS developer that to build apps that work with macOS 10.9, they need to do their development on macOS 10.9 and not on their new Macs running macOS 11.7. See if they tell you to GTFO and stop wasting their time.
              Linux isn't the only one where it works like this since it have zero to do with Linux as such and more to do with library developers constantly changing their ABI between versions. E.g try the macOS thing yourself and you will see that macOS actually locks you into the version you build on when you make a package unless you specify an earlyer version so if you do nothing then your package built on 11.7 won't work on 10.9.

For glibc in particular there is a work around since they do use versioned symbols so you can (but it's painful) add snippets to your code to tell the compiler to link to a specific version of the function.

E.g if you on a modern version of glibc want to use the function realpath() but want to use the one from v2.2.5 then you can add:
              Code:
              __asm__(".symver realpath,realpath@GLIBC_2.2.5");​
              See more examples here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160107...om/blog/?p=103

Comment

Linux finally managed to surpass Macs! ... at 2%. That is not what I imagined. The success of the Steam Deck is great, but I think the real story here is the 'success' of Apple's leadership in destroying Macintosh as a gaming platform over the last 20 years. Through a mix of complete neglect and active hostility, they are very close now to achieving their goal. The technical capabilities of Apple Silicon don't seem to be driving anything, and part of their company attempting to co-opt Wine/Crossover has gone nowhere.

Goodbye, Macintosh gamers. It was a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I like linux on severs very much. All my code (.net core) runs on linux. I personally advise and recommended my clients to migration application server from winows to linux.

But for desktop Windows is MUCH better system.

There is NO software for linux. Only IT professionals can find the complete set.

On laptops the number of problems is tens of times greater than on windows.

[...]

Linux is bad system for desktop, only some IT stuff, linux and open source fanboys say otherwise.

Hmm... I've been using Linux on my desktop for over 25 years, and find it much more user friendly than either Microsoft or Apple systems -- and of course Linux is far cheaper to install along with useful software. I have 35 virtual Desktops that I can quickly switch to, and I use the Mate Desktop Environment that is far more customizable than anything from Apple & Microsoft.

There is plenty of good software for Linux like PostgreSQL (runs better on Linux than on Microsoft), gcc (Gnu Compiler Collection) LibreOffice, Eclipse, and Blender. And of course bash.

I also run Linux on my laptop, as I don't want the hassles associated with Apple & Microsoft.

Love not having to worry about installing anti virus software.

If you want to run Microsoft on your desktop machine, so be it -- but don't denigrate those who prefer Linux for desktop use.

Comment

Originally posted by nivag View Post

Hmm... I've been using Linux on my desktop for over 25 years, .
                    As I said:

Linux is bad system for desktop, only some IT stuff, linux and open source fanboys say otherwise.
                    You are IT stuff. Normal user don't know words like 'PostgreSQL ', 'gcc ' or 'Eclipse'.

but don't denigrate those who prefer Linux for desktop use
                    When I say desktop linux is bad I mean the average user, not an IT person. These can be found perfectly on any system. A good friend of mine uses and is a fan of BSD. But at least he doesn't keep saying it's better than windows - he just likes it better - that's all.

And the number of problems, e.g. with laptops, is large. Just take a look:
                    Laptop/HP - ArchWiki (archlinux.org)

In addition, for example, some Porton games work on Ubuntu, others on Manjaro, etc. A normal user's head would ache from this.

On Windows hardware works, programs work, games work.......
                    Last edited by HEL88; 02 August 2023, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nivag View Post

Hmm... I've been using Linux on my desktop for over 25 years, and find it much more user friendly than either Microsoft or Apple systems -- and of course Linux is far cheaper to install along with useful software. I have 35 virtual Desktops that I can quickly switch to, and I use the Mate Desktop Environment that is far more customizable than anything from Apple & Microsoft.

There is plenty of good software for Linux like PostgreSQL (runs better on Linux than on Microsoft), gcc (Gnu Compiler Collection) LibreOffice, Eclipse, and Blender. And of course bash.

I also run Linux on my laptop, as I don't want the hassles associated with Apple & Microsoft.

Love not having to worry about installing anti virus software.

If you want to run Microsoft on your desktop machine, so be it -- but don't denigrate those who prefer Linux for desktop use.
                      Demands that other OS users do not denigrate Linux users.
                      Takes a dump on Windows and macOS in the same post.

That's Linux users for you.
                      "No one may say anything bad about my choice of OS but I have the right to shit on the two largest consumer and desktop OS"

Comment

Working...
                      X